• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Worried you could lose your job?

Worried you could lose your job?

  • Probably

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Possibly

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Can't tell

    Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Unlikely

    Votes: 41 27.7%
  • Most unlikey

    Votes: 36 24.3%
  • Self Employed, but things are going to get tough

    Votes: 12 8.1%
  • On Planet X the economy is booming and we have solved how to make an economy boom with no busts

    Votes: 14 9.5%

  • Total voters
    148

a_unique_person

Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
50,420
Location
Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Times are tough, and it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Where I work, the company was already doing it hard, and it looks like it could go under. So I'm worried, and am already looking for another job. Thing is, there's not much demand out there at the moment.

How do things look out there for you?
 
I'm in marketing in the automotive vertical. Bizarrely, I think I'm okay. I put possibly.
 
I put 'Possibly' even though there's no hint yet of things going that badly wrong for us. But I'd feel a right eejit if I put 'unlikely' and then had to come back here in a week or two without a job.
I have been made redundant twice before in my career. It's a killer to your self-esteem at the time, but somehow everything always seems to work out quite well eventually.
 
The university I work for is in good shape, solvency-wise, and I have vast seniority. Crime continues apace. By all accounts we can look forward to expansion rather than layoffs, as the university continues to move housing into surrounding urban areas. Plans are afoot to beef up the "off-campus" patrol plan in conjunction with the concerned municipal authorities.
However, my wife, a florist, is essentially unemployed. (The store is "open", but the owner is in bankruptcy proceedings.)
 
I work for America's biggest growth industry.

"Most unlikely."
 
I feel pretty safe. My company is actually still hiring. We make aluminum for beverage cans, so as long as people keep drinking, we're safe. The can makers (our customers) are posting profits, so things are looking good.

If I were superstitious, I'd be more reluctant to be this positive, but I'm not, so kiss my butt, karma.

:boxedin:
 
I put unlikely. My company is hitting hard times and cutting jobs, but my major function for them is to crunch the numbers and supply management reports on how the individuals in my center are performing.

Since nobody else is trained on how to run these reports and management is looking very closely at these reports due to the economic downturn, I feel and odd sense of job security. Also I work for a very large company so while times are hard and the company is trimming where it can, I don't see the company going out of business as very likely either.

That being said, in this economy, anything can happen and I may look like the eejit that The Drain has avoided.

ETA: oh yeah, the center that I work does internal collections for our company, so this is one of the sectors that actuallys is finding more work in this economy.
 
Last edited:
I work for America's biggest growth industry.

"Most unlikely."


You're a prostitute?

I work for the federal government. There was an article in the AP just this week on how, with the economy as bad as it is, the government is the one area still hiring a lot.

Very unlikely.
 
There is no such thing as job security in the private sector. We have no idea how bad this could get so everyone is at risk. I own my own company and we are probably going to be ok unless something really weird happens.
 
I’m a firmly entrenched government bureaucrat, and I don’t work for the state of California so I’ll be fine.
 
I work two part time jobs, both of which depend on people having money to spend, so while I'm unlikely to lose either job, my hours are being cut further and further.
 
Software sales went down like a rock in November. Went to an RV show in January and sold $0; the whole show seemed to be dipped in gloom. That one hurt.
 
Very unlikely. My company just went through a huge round of cutbacks, including axing half my department. They can't afford to axe any more, since we're already barely keeping up with the workload. And most of the cuts were anticipatory, based on projected continuing economic slide, and losing two of our biggest customers (at least one of which it looks like we'll be holding on to). One thing I appreciated is that the top execs took serious pay cuts, as well as suspending bonuses and annual raises; so they wouldn't have to cut benefits for the rest of us.

So barring something seriously nasty happening with the US economy in general, serious screwups by the company costing us more than two of our biggest customers, or seriously screwing up myself, I'm reasonably safe. Not going to be getting any raises in the near future, unless things improve dramatically; but not going to be losing anything either.
 
Last edited:
Got laid off last week. My job is now collecting unemployment and being a good dad and husband, not likely to lose it unless I REALLY screw it up. Oh, yeah, and posting on JREF.

I don't think I'll find another one very soon.
 
My company is doing quite well, but they're pretending they're not. Upper management is lining its pockets with big bonuses while at the same time telling the staff there's no money for raises and they're lucky to have jobs at all so they should stop complaining about working conditions.
 
Possible. Quite possible. I work for an oil company. Last week they gave a "tightening the belt" speech. I expect layoffs by mid-year.

It is a common misconception that anyone who works for Big Oil is a tycoon. Just the opposite. We are more prone than most to the capricious marketplace.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom