• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

“Woke”

My goodness, I forget how badly some struggle with reading comprehension. I really didn't think the article was subtle. At all. Damon Young is clearly pointing out that those complaining about how "woke" Disney is with the little Mermaid played by a black actress are bigots and/or against equality. These three quotes pretty much sum it up:
"It was around then that the right finally caught wind of it[woke], since they are 20 to 60 years behind everything, and it became their umbrella for literally anything that even hinted at possessing a sliver of social consciousness."
"Today, “woke” is mostly used by the right to signify the presence of Black people (or women) where they didn’t expect them to be."
"I’m usually not a fan of franchise reboots, but maybe we should go back to the source material, where racists don’t have to twist themselves into bigoted little knots. Just say n----r with your chest."

What? You're going to use the same two quotes I used plus one referencing the age of the term (when it was AAVE) plus some crap about a mermaid that nobody, save a few idiots on Twitter cares about, to "prove" the title of the article is the opposite of what it states? OK now. I'm just going to back away slowly.
 
But, clearly there is now a common usage that does not align with that definition, but is more along the lines of simply "liberal-ish".
If there is, I haven't perceived it at this. Have examples been given? All I see is this being asserted. Generally this grab bag of intersectional left wing ideas seem pretty ubiquitous. Is the predominant use of it really against Liberals who disagree with the idea of systemic racism, white privilege and the like?
 
Last edited:
If there is, I haven't perceived it at this. Have examples been given? All I see is this being asserted.

I don't consider this to be a good-faith question so I won't waste too much time on it, but I will provide one example of a labeling of something as "woke" that has absolutely nothing to do with system suppression or "intersectionality"-whatever.
 
I don't consider this to be a good-faith question so I won't waste too much time on it, but I will provide one example of a labeling of something as "woke" that has absolutely nothing to do with system suppression or "intersectionality"-whatever.
That is amazing. I can sort of get it, if I squint and think about who'd want to present a kinder, gentler version of something previously demonized, but it's almost too meta.
 
I don't consider this to be a good-faith question so I won't waste too much time on it, but I will provide one example of a labeling of something as "woke" that has absolutely nothing to do with system suppression or "intersectionality"-whatever.

Ok, that's got to be the most hilarious misuse of the word woke that I've ever seen. Want to make a T-rex woke? Make it a vegan who only had those big teeth to deal with super tough kale.

I can't say I've seen this show, at least I don't have it and since I do have Prehistoric Planet I'll probably give it a miss. I do like these David+Dinosaur shows though. Not only are they well made they don't give him an opportunity to complain about climate change. We know...David..we know.
 
Last edited:
I don't consider this to be a good-faith question so I won't waste too much time on it, but I will provide one example of a labeling of something as "woke" that has absolutely nothing to do with system suppression or "intersectionality"-whatever.
OK. Thank you for your reply. Do you think the desire to reinvent the past in the way described in that article is somehow representative of liberalism. I don't see people calling equality before the law "woke" for example? That's a core liberal value, isn't it? Is the concept of individual rights often described as woke? I'm baffled by how this dinosaur thing is a good example of mundane liberal-ish things being called woke.

The article is part of a general claim by the Right that progressives are attempting to rewrite the past and turn every field into an opportunity to promote progressive ideology and a progressive understanding of the world. One could say that the Sun is wrong here and that isn't the motive of the people behind the dinosaur thing, but I don't see how the article is equating being "liberal-ish" with being woke.
 
What? You're going to use the same two quotes I used plus one referencing the age of the term (when it was AAVE) plus some crap about a mermaid that nobody, save a few idiots on Twitter cares about, to "prove" the title of the article is the opposite of what it states? OK now. I'm just going to back away slowly.

What? You're going to pretend the article wasn't about racists using "woke" to complain about the little mermaid, or black football coaches, etc? You really can't get that from his advice to just use the n-word next time?
 
Came across an interesting example of "woke" used in the wild today:
So we asked these voters about all sorts of issues. We asked what they thought of "Black Lives Matter." We asked what they thought of "Blue Lives Matter." We asked how they felt about policing and...educating students on trans issues. And then we also asked the question directly: Do you think Democrats are too woke?

More than a third of these voters say they agree with Republicans more on crime and policing, and 40% say that they think the [Democratic] party is too woke when it comes to issues of race and gender."

From today's edition of The Daily podcast.

https://twitter.com/jlicea/status/1576948325496287234

https://twitter.com/LuzanoB/status/1577007080300376065
 
Last edited:
Your post doesn't say it, but if I understood those links correctly, the voters they were asking were latinos.
 
What? You're going to pretend the article wasn't about racists using "woke" to complain about the little mermaid, or black football coaches, etc? You really can't get that from his advice to just use the n-word next time?

Heyyyy. That sounds suspiciously like Woke is the New Dogwhistle for Black.:eye-poppi LoL

Nobody cares about Black Hobbits or Mermaids it's all fake news. Cast for diversity and your show fails? Just make a few quick calls to sympathetic newspapers citing a few idiots on Twitter and suddenly you have yourself a viral marketing campaign that all the good white liberals will eat right up like it's tofu. Then they'll brag about seeing it multiple times and how it's the best show out there so nobody will think they're a racist. It's brilliant really.

Nobody complained when Netflix gave Vikings a Black Kween or The BBC made Achillies a Black Bald man.

It's easy to find articles complaining about people complaining about Black Hobbits but it's significantly more difficult to find people doing the actual complaining about the Black Hobbits. Sure, there's a few here and there but, by and large, this is a made up issue.

While I'm here, I'd like this opportunity to share with you all, just how much I'm enjoying this Pumpkin Spice Latte I got from the Starbucks inside my local Whole Foods. I might have come in late to Pumpkin Spice season had it not been for that awesome Starbucks ad I saw while I was watching the trailer for the new version of The Little Mermaid for the 61st time on YouTube. If the trailer is anything like the movie, then it just has to be excellent. :thumbsup::thumbsup: That's doing White right. :)
 
Hey, see what I mean about whining when your niche product underperforms.

'Bros' star Billy Eichner reacts to 'disappointing' box office opening


“straight people, especially in certain parts of the country, just didn’t show up.”

and

Eichner concluded his thoughts by encouraging “everyone who isn’t a homophobic weirdo” to see “Bros,”

So there you have it. You have a duty to wokeness to see this film otherwise we're going to think you're some sort of homophobic weirdo. Especially you people in middle America and the south. Which I hear is MAGA country.

I'll have you know, the film was excellent. Think I'll see it again tonight and get even more selfies outside the theater then really woke work my Twitter account. :)
 
Citation needed on the stats here, but I still don't see why progressives would want to cede the word to conservatives in the first place.
No-one's "ceding" the word. Conservatives have taken it without permission and poisoned it so that it now tastes foul in our mouths.
 
No-one's "ceding" the word. Conservatives have taken it without permission and poisoned it so that it now tastes foul in our mouths.
No one needs permission to use words.

The idea that someone should stop using words or phrases or symbols because someone else has somehow defiled them sounds like the worst sort of magical thinking, like the Hebrews' unwillingness to pronounce the name of their deity, or Hogwarts students unwillingness to say "Voldemort."

Sent from my Canis Kamacho using Tapatalk
 
No one needs permission to use words.

The idea that someone should stop using words or phrases or symbols because someone else has somehow defiled them sounds like the worst sort of magical thinking, like the Hebrews' unwillingness to pronounce the name of their deity, or Hogwarts students unwillingness to say "Voldemort."
Why this has nothing to do with either of your examples is that other people will now assume we mean one thing when we use the word, when we actually mean another. It's poor communication. It no longer conveys my intent. I have to look for some other way to say what I want to say.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom