• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why does America still endorse the One Drop Rule?

I wonder what would happen if some blonde haired blue-eyed student identified as African-American on a college application and applied for minority scholarships and such? Or if later in life that same person owned a company and bid on a government minority set-aside project?


I can guarantee my black friends in Canada, UK, and New Zealand don't like to be called "African-Americans".
 
Last edited:

There was a short-lived animated show called The Goode Family about some hippies and their comical attempts to conform to a sort of idealized liberalism. It poked fun at liberals, but in the same way that King of the Hill pokes fun of Texans, as examples of general human foibles and not out of actual animosity. Anyways, the parents had tried to adopt an African baby, but ended up with a white baby from South Africa. Nevertheless, the kid still dressed in African garb.

One of the episodes revolved around this son wanting to join the football team, and the mom being opposed because the sport was violent. He wanted to join so that he could be around other kids who "look like me". The team was mostly blacks, but what he was really referring to is body type: he was muscular and hulking, while his parents and most of their friends were scrawny. The whole white vs. black thing never entered his consciousness.

The show didn't last, and I suspect it would have been hard to keep going anyways, but I saw a few episodes and they were amusing.
 
This thread makes my brain hurt...

I have never in my life known a single person who would use the term 'mixed black'. Where is everyone finding all of these people, and how are they suddenly the standard?

Rockingham Co. NC. A few people in Greensboro too. The "mixed black" thing comes mostly from my childhood... but that's tame to be honest, I could delve into the real crazy if you want.
 
It's one of the things I have loved about teaching biology down here in Florida - since that was categorically and completely proven by mitochondrial DNA about 15 years ago. The great............................................................................................. grandma of all of us on Earth was a Black female living in Africa some (a very long some)years ago. And our great (few less great - the two never met) ................grand daddy was African and Black also. Our color now has to do purely with how long we have been further North or South of the equator. I do so love the gasps from time to time (on one side) and the smiles from time to time on the other as the point sinks in.

But... But... What about my one drop of Neandertal blood? Can't I use that to claim to be white European?

:D
 
I absolutely don't care, and don't even complain, about what people call me. I was just noticing that the one-drop-rule is prevalent absolutely everywhere in the World, not just in America. Most of the time it's, as The Prestige said, a way of describing people by how they are looking like, but sometimes it's just another way for losers to feel better by belittling people about their origins ...

No it's a means of institutionalizing discrimination. Taking joint ownership of a mixed community is just beyond the capability of most communities right now. With that being said, you proved my point earlier, not all communities outside of the European one would accept mixed people, case and point China and Japan. The one-drop thing is bologna and stupid.
 
[qimg]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/216465_1082537233361_7591938_n.jpg[/qimg]

^ Considered black or mixed black by most people who've met me.

(In my hometown I could quite often get people flustered, if not down right angry, by asking them why I wasn't "mixed white".)

My point redtail is that you're not black, "mixed black", or "mixed white". You're mixed. You are for all intents and purposes a mulatto. Just like green is neither blue nor yellow, it's green. It's very simple. As for your child, he is white. That doesn't mean he's an evil person, doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you all are what you are. Your child could be a great person, but even you must surely know that your child is white. 3/4ths blood or greater makes you of that race.


ETA: I get flustered when people call you black too. The feeling is mutual.
 
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's one of the things I have loved about teaching biology down here in Florida - since that was categorically and completely proven by mitochondrial DNA about 15 years ago. The great............................................................................................. grandma of all of us on Earth was a Black female living in Africa some (a very long some)years ago. And our great (few less great - the two never met) ................grand daddy was African and Black also. Our color now has to do purely with how long we have been further North or South of the equator. I do so love the gasps from time to time (on one side) and the smiles from time to time on the other as the point sinks in.

The whole there is no color thing is stupid. For as long as modern civilization exists the color issue will exist. We just need to suck up the stupidity and move on. Want to fix the issue? Bring a fleet of alien ships to Earth tomorrow, or erupt Yellowstone. That's will pretty much unite the human race and end most of the divisive racial boundaries that were created during the colonial exploration era.

There is no such thing as a color blind world.
 
Yeah... but if thise fools gain power... then it suddenly means a lot.

Damn it caper you hit it on the head! The fools who think race is important have power. So long as they have power, the issue of race will ALWAYS be important. No amount of hippie free love will change that. Thank you Caper.
 
My point redtail is that you're not black, "mixed black", or "mixed white". You're mixed. You are for all intents and purposes a mulatto. Just like green is neither blue nor yellow, it's green. It's very simple. As for your child, he is white. That doesn't mean he's an evil person, doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you all are what you are. Your child could be a great person, but even you must surely know that your child is white. 3/4ths blood or greater makes you of that race.


ETA: I get flustered when people call you black too. The feeling is mutual.

Wrong, we're both mixed. I don't have a problem with people calling me black & refer to myself as black fairly often. I see no reason why he should have a problem with it or shouldn't do the same.
 
Last edited:
My point redtail is that you're not black, "mixed black", or "mixed white". You're mixed. You are for all intents and purposes a mulatto. Just like green is neither blue nor yellow, it's green. It's very simple. As for your child, he is white. That doesn't mean he's an evil person, doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you all are what you are. Your child could be a great person, but even you must surely know that your child is white. 3/4ths blood or greater makes you of that race.

But that still uses the one drop rule. If 3/4ths blood is the cut-off to be considered white, that means a child whose mother was 31/32nds white and whose father was 1/2 black, would still be mulatto like his father, not white. The child would be only 47/64 white, not the required 48/64 (75%). The one drop from the mother's great great great grandparent would prevent the child from being considered white, even though a virtually identical child with just one more 1/64ths of white blood would be considered white.

And that's not even getting into how one defines a "pure" white or black person.
 
My point redtail is that you're not black, "mixed black", or "mixed white". You're mixed. You are for all intents and purposes a mulatto. Just like green is neither blue nor yellow, it's green. It's very simple. As for your child, he is white. That doesn't mean he's an evil person, doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you all are what you are. Your child could be a great person, but even you must surely know that your child is white. 3/4ths blood or greater makes you of that race.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread has turned weirdly racist in the last page or two?
 
I can guarantee my black friends in Canada, UK, and New Zealand don't like to be called "African-Americans".

Don't be surprised if they do it themselves. All the race debate is usually based on American tv, you'd be surprised how many times I've corrected people using African American....That... and the amount of Canadains who feel they have American legal rights from watching American legal shows.
 
I worked with a girl from the Caribbean. She was black to me.... but she told me she was considered almost white to many people in her community.
 
I recall once reading a US news report about something that involved a black Briton, in which they were actually described as "African American." :jaw-dropp

Although African-French-Tonga, I've been called African-American by many American expats in Europe and on occasion when visiting the USA. It didn't offend as much as surprised me until I realised it was just a PC way of describing me (but in a few cases a stunning ignorance of the origins of black people in Europe).

Of course, coming from the media, it becomes rapidly tiresome since they should be better informed, but when you realise the level of ignorance of anything outside America by some US media, you just stop paying attention :boggled:.
 
A couple of times during the rough and tumble of election campaigns, I've been very surprised when an activist who has been criticised or lampooned for something has suddenly complained that her critics are "mocking a black person". As in, "you're BLACK? Have I suddenly gone colour blind or something?"

Rolfe.
 
I don't know... but if your going to claim to be black, you have to be able to walk into a store and get followed.... not be able to hail a cab, ect..

Soledad O'brien gets is not black in any practical sense. She got all high and mighty when Jesse Jackson told her she didn't count as a black news anchor.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom