Dissolution
Master Poster
- Joined
- Jun 20, 2013
- Messages
- 2,306
Australia minmum wage is something like $15 an hour I think, I may be wrong, but I think it's close to that at least
$16.37 which is $14.67 US.
Australia minmum wage is something like $15 an hour I think, I may be wrong, but I think it's close to that at least
McD's could make a start by selling food instead of something resembling it...
If it gets too high, eventually it'll start increasing inflation.
Was it not Freidmann that cam up with that stonkingly bad idea that the whole purpose of a company was to generate value for stockholders no matter what the companies actual productivity performance was/is as long as the share price holds up, which in practice has led to CEOS more worried about the share price than the real actual health of the company they are supposed to be running?
My own guess is that at $15/hour, there probably would not many McDonalds left. Many of them would face the following choice: raise prices beyond what most people are willing to pay for fast food, or sell hamburgers and fries at a loss. Either way, I don't see how they remain profitable.
McDonalds is not as wildly profitable as you might think:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...74-outlets-cuts-full-year-profit-outlook.html
Is this an argument from someone who doesn't want to lose a bit of precious money, and would rather see people who don't have enough stay that way ?
A rather meaningless question. There's every argument from every type of someone.
Publicly traded companies always care more about the share price than anything else. In that regard, Friedman is not incorrect. The "free market" puts profits above everything else. And that's not always a good thing.
OK, I may have to make a mea culpa now it appears. If the information in this article is correct, then what I wrote above:
Isn't right. According to the article, it appears that McDonalds could afford to pay its employees even $15/hour without raising prices and still remain profitable as a whole (but less profitable than now). A caveat is that some of its more marginal stores might become unprofitable and close as a result, costing jobs.
I'm also not 100% confident that the information in the article is completely accurate. It has a "back-of-the-envelope" feel to it. It also has a left-wing agenda.
The place where raising the minimum wage would hurt most is businesses that are barely profitable to begin with. Some of those businesses would have to close, and that would cost the jobs of the employees that work there. Maybe it's not McDonalds, but somewhere else.
Isn't that in fact always a bad thing ? Of course making money is important, but I don't think it should come at the expense of everything else.
Australia minmum wage is something like $15 an hour I think, I may be wrong, but I think it's close to that at least
No, because if a company doesn't turn and adequate profit and keep the shareholders happy, it won't be a company anymore. Then, everyone loses. (See my Kodak link.)
~Dr. Imago
I was asking about this specific post, as you well know. You took the time to respond, why don't you actually answer ?
Did you even read my post ? Or did you stop at the first sentence ?
In Denmark McD seems to pay a minimum wage of 110 dkr (20 US-$) an hour.
15, 16 and 17-year-olds get 67 dkr (12 US-$).
Horesta.dk
Yes, but the question is, why would they? You don't want to hire somebody who's over-qualified, because they're likely to move on to a better job. That's true no matter what the minimum wage is.
So, why wouldn't Joe's market value go up to $14, and Samantha's go up to $21?
IMO, the bolded mirrors reality and is not a caveat and is the reason not to raise minimum wage, which in essence is a number unions use to bargain.OK, I may have to make a mea culpa now it appears. If the information in this article is correct, then what I wrote above:
Isn't right. According to the article, it appears that McDonalds could afford to pay its employees even $15/hour without raising prices and still remain profitable as a whole (but less profitable than now). A caveat is that some of its more marginal stores might become unprofitable and close as a result, costing jobs.
I'm also not 100% confident that the information in the article is completely accurate. It has a "back-of-the-envelope" feel to it. It also has a left-wing agenda.
The place where raising the minimum wage would hurt most is businesses that are barely profitable to begin with. Some of those businesses would have to close, and that would cost the jobs of the employees that work there. Maybe it's not McDonalds, but somewhere else.