• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What book is everyone reading at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am one of those odd people, everyone told me I'd love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I did not. Maybe it wasn't the right time in my life.
I didn't like it either, but didn't dislike it enough to avoid the sequel, which I gave up on after the opening chapters.

The movie version began with one of the most powerful opening scenes I have ever experienced: several minutes of genuine Paleolithic cave art, presented without commentary. Compared to that opening scene, the rest of the movie was awful.
 
I found a copy of Jared Diamond'sGuns, Germs, and Steel at a jumble sale and am using it as bus and underground reading.
So far, I very much like it.
 
I was halfway through re-reading Simon Winder's "Germania" when the library emailled me to pick up his later "Danubia" which is even longer. I almost fainted when I read in the preface: "There is a fair amount on music, for example, but the text reflects my love of Haydn and Wolf rather than my merely remote, ignorant admiration for Beethoven or Bruckner." Perfect!


I am besotted by these personal histories of the German speaking lands. So are the professional reviewers and I'll let them tell the tale:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704240004575085840490017612

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/books/review/simon-winders-danubia.html

I am baffled by the disparaging reviews he gets on Amazon and Goodreads. I like to think that the amateur reviews were written by unimaginative people who are unacquainted with self-deprecation and ambiguity and have no appreciation of the absurd.
 
Speaking of Amazon reviews, here's a case where I take my cue from the Average Customer.

_The Accursed: A Novel_ by Joyce Carol Oates seems dull, quaint, twee, to me, at first glance. And second glance -- the first 20 pages or so, and glimpses of the rest of it.

I've joked about JCO, because she's a monster of productivity with high quality.

The Average Customer on Amazon gives _The Accursed_ three stars out of five, with many complaining that the book needs editing.

It's set in Princeton, New Jersey, just after the turn of the century.

A branch of my family lived in one of those big houses on Hodge Road in Princeton -- though they are not mentioned in the book -- which is a sort of historical pastiche in which fact and fiction mingle. So I'm familiar with this kind of upper-class Christian piety and sanctimony, and I never could stand it. Don't get me started.

I wanted some vampires and some atmosphere, with good writing. Instead I was bored by JCO's good impersonation of a second-rate amateur historian's attempt to limn the nervous complaints of a fictional Woodrow Wilson. And her equally skillful -- but incredibly tedious -- creation of someone's diary.

It all adds up to...what? I'll never know, first-hand. I'm content with the executive summary -- or the Average Customer summary.

The longer the book, the more caution required before committing to it.

Why have I stayed with Proust? Because I'm pretentious, and because over a long time the commitment has payed off. Because my life is enriched by knowing the Baron de Charlus -- from a safe distance. Because books like Proust's make life worth living, and life would be nearly unbearable without them.

Choose your battles, choose your books.


5 star: (53)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (41)
2 star: (39)
1 star: (35)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Accursed-...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Burdened with its vast expanses of historical musing and detail, though, that brilliance is as effectively concealed as the beautiful silver urn in your Aunt Tillie's closet by a fifty-year-old coat of tarnish. If you've plowed your way through George Eliot's *Daniel Deronda*, you should get the idea.


http://www.npr.org/2013/03/06/172876228/the-devil-to-pay-in-oates-accursed-america

The Accursed is, in the end, neither a paranormal romance nor an easy read. With its many digressions and historical asides, it is not a page turner. And it's not a "vampire book" any more than Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a young-adult romance. In Oates' hands, this supernatural tale becomes a meditation on the perils of parochial thinking.

Great. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Robert Ryan's two John Watson novels; Dean Man's Land and The Dead Can Wait.
Holmesian mysteries, sans Holmes. Rather good.
 
Speaking of Amazon reviews, here's a case where I take my cue from the Average Customer.

_The Accursed: A Novel_ by Joyce Carol Oates seems dull, quaint, twee, to me, at first glance.

....


If you've plowed your way through George Eliot's *Daniel Deronda*, you should get the idea


I have been warned.


And I agree that that last is a helpful comment from an amateur reviewer as it gives you a rough idea of what you're in for. I also like it when people think independently and don't, for instance, give a deservedly obscure play five stars just because part of it is by Shakespeare.


On the other hand, I became ashamed of one of my amateur reviews of a George Eliot novel and edited it to say that I was going to bow to the judgement of critics and of history. I had given in to the intoxicating thrill of writing a scathing review because George Eliot annoys me, personally (which affects my judgement). I suspect that a lot of bad amateur reviews are similiarly self-indulgent.


But, for a really horrible professional review, how about this attack on Martin Amis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3594613/Someone-needs-to-have-a-word-with-Amis.html



You know who else doesn't like Martin Amis? Joyce Carol Oates.
 
I've picked up Moby-Dick again, after letting go of it early last year.

About 200 pages in, it is an enthralling, if wordy book. Melville's passion and endearment for whaling described in his unique prose really makes it an interesting read.
 
Started reading through The Dresden Files recently. A few things that annoy me about the books; but so far I'm up to book 4, and they're pretty decent reading.
 
_Unapologetic_

Francis Spufford sets out to convince you -- not of the truth of his beliefs, why, that would be impossible! -- that he's a red-blooded, full-bodied, good-hearted, likable bloke.

Read in amazement as he takes down such lofty targets as the ad for atheism on the London busses! Score one for Spufford!

Worth maybe two hours, only to study the rhetoric.

Personally, I intensely dislike persuasion, and I can't stand Chesterton.

Lacking evidence or scholarship, Spufford blinds you with...personality.

Meh. Or less than meh.
 
Last edited:
Been reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Want to finish this up so I can reread Stalingrad by Theodore Plievier. A truly horrific account of the destruction of the German 6th army on the banks of the Volga. It can be in the middle of summer and I will be cold while reading this book.

"Gates of fire" was a favorite of mine for several years.

I have read William Craig's "Enemy at the Gates", also about Stalingrad. Which I thought was very good. I wonder how they compare.
 
Last edited:
short answer -- I agreed with the basic ideas, but found the writing a little dull.
Most of it I've only skimmed so far.
 
Speaking of Amazon reviews, here's a case where I take my cue from the Average Customer.

_The Accursed: A Novel_ by Joyce Carol Oates seems dull, quaint, twee, to me, at first glance. And second glance -- the first 20 pages or so, and glimpses of the rest of it.

I've joked about JCO, because she's a monster of productivity with high quality.

Gore Vidal: "The three most dispiriting words in the English Language? Joyce Carol Oates.

YMMV.
 
Gore Vidal: "The three most dispiriting words in the English Language? Joyce Carol Oates.

YMMV.
While it's fun to hear Vidal being snarky, I do beg to differ. Oates's output is huge, and not everything she's written is equal, perhaps (and there's plenty I have not read). But I've found a few of her books quite good. Some of her best stuff, I think, is set in the boondocks of northern New York State, an area for which she seems to have an affinity.
 
Early into Capital in the Twenty-First Century . Amazingly, for those who have heard me mention God and Gold, there are distinct points of contact/data and it's meaning in common with the two. Why am I not surprised?

Oh, that would be because G&G had high historical/explanatory value based on other material I was familiar with and C21 pays it forward!!!
 
I just finished The Science of Surfing by Tony Butts and Paul Russel and the late Rick Grigg. That was interesting about what is known about waves and how they are formed. Now I just started Legends of Surfing by Duke Boyd and so far not too impressed but just started
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom