• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What book is everyone reading at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paranormality by Prof. Richard Wiseman and A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Also rereading firm favourites The Elenium Trilogy by David Eddings and the Codex Regius. Although I'm trying to learn Old Norse to read it from it's source rather than from the translation.

Nothing better than the smell of an old book.
 
Just finished Flashman and the Redskins. A superb yarn, though I wish Fraser would stop ending his novels with a dozen pages of exposition, instead of winding it into the storyline.
 
Stinger Maguire, by Mike Bove - book two of the Bruce DelReno mystery series. Golf enthusiast solves mysteries. I enjoyed the first one, Willowtree.
 
Picked up Clan of the Cave Bear a week ago. Really enjoying it so far, even though I've only made it about 20 pages in. I'm a slow reader.
 
Picked up Clan of the Cave Bear a week ago. Really enjoying it so far, even though I've only made it about 20 pages in. I'm a slow reader.

I enjoyed the series. It's kind of like scifi loosely based on science. I also briefly dated the daughter of the author of those books.
 
I enjoyed the series. It's kind of like scifi loosely based on science. I also briefly dated the daughter of the author of those books.
If you enjoyed Auel, I recommend a couple of novels by the rather more serious Bjorn Kurten, Dance of the Tiger, and Singletusk. It's been decades since I read them, but I recall they were a bit more believable than Auel, and at the time were considered better anthropology as well. Still good storytelling, though.
 
I guess I am one of those odd people, everyone told me I'd love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I did not. Maybe it wasn't the right time in my life.
 
I guess I am one of those odd people, everyone told me I'd love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I did not. Maybe it wasn't the right time in my life.

Didn't like it either. Nor Duncton Wood, another advocates of the CotCB seemed to love.
 
I guess I am one of those odd people, everyone told me I'd love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I did not. Maybe it wasn't the right time in my life.

I struggled through several volumes of the thing and decided Neolithic soft porn isn't for me.

Anyway, the other day I found "Mostly Harmless" in an English-language second-hand bookshop and so am finally able to read the last of Douglas Addams' trilogy.
 
My search for a book about Buddhism that is critical enough, Western, and informed by psychological sophistication is at an end. Here it is:

_Nothing is Hidden -- The Psychology of Zen Koans_ by Barry Magio

It's really more about how koan practice doesn't necessarily cure you of character defects, hangups, addictions, or whatever else ails you.

It's also rather free of that naive piety that seems to suffuse so much writing about American Buddhism.

Magio is a psychoanalyst, among other things.

Criticize psychoanalysts all you like, but at least, they are willing to talk about the subjective struggle to improve oneself, without just saying that n milligrams of Zoloft a day will do it. (It won't, for some of us.)
 
Last edited:
I guess I am one of those odd people, everyone told me I'd love the Clan of the Cave Bear series and I did not. Maybe it wasn't the right time in my life.
If the subject and the time period interest you, I do recommend the Bjorn Kurten books which came out about the same time. Less romantic twaddle and at least an attempt to stick to evidence.
 
Neolithic soft porn

picture.php
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom