Olowkow
Philosopher
- Joined
- Oct 29, 2007
- Messages
- 8,230
My new computer is 6 months old. It took me about 3 months to get it where I want it. Got up last Thursday, and the hard drive was dead. All my secure info is on the hard drive to be replaced. I have backups. Warranty is replacing the drive.
But........
HP wants the old (bad) hard drive shipped back to them. I have all my passwords, and some proprietary designs on the old drive. It spins, but the head is heard to cycle back and forth, and BIOS says, bad hard drive. I confirmed this by replacing.
My question: can I trust them not to steal my info? Could I break the connectors and be safe? Could I drop it on the cement and insure it is broken? How can I break it for sure, so they don't know I did it?
Why would they want bad hard drives back? How could they possibly pay someone to test them? Is my drive going to be sitting in a bin somewhere for years until someone steals them and gleans my data?
I'm getting a little facetiously paranoid here, but really? What would you all do in this situation?
But........
HP wants the old (bad) hard drive shipped back to them. I have all my passwords, and some proprietary designs on the old drive. It spins, but the head is heard to cycle back and forth, and BIOS says, bad hard drive. I confirmed this by replacing.
My question: can I trust them not to steal my info? Could I break the connectors and be safe? Could I drop it on the cement and insure it is broken? How can I break it for sure, so they don't know I did it?
Why would they want bad hard drives back? How could they possibly pay someone to test them? Is my drive going to be sitting in a bin somewhere for years until someone steals them and gleans my data?
I'm getting a little facetiously paranoid here, but really? What would you all do in this situation?