• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Understanding the Liberal Mindset

They didn't support the future Fuhrer so much as focus their opposition on the Social Democrats, e.g. pushing for the 1931 Prussian Landtag referendumWP along with far right parties like the NSDAP. Both the Communists and the Fascists were looking forward to unseating the democratic establishment in order to implement their own ideas.
I asked Google, "Which parties in Germany supported Hitler in the 1930s?"
The first two are no surprise, but the third one is interesting!
Major Supporting and Coalition Parties
    • Nazi Party (NSDAP): Hitler's own far-right, fascist organization that became the backbone of the regime.
    • German National People's Party (DNVP): A right-wing nationalist party that formed a coalition government with Hitler in January 1933.
    • Centre Party and Bavarian People's Party: Moderate/centre-right Catholic parties that controversially voted for the Enabling Act of March 1933, giving Hitler dictatorial powers in exchange for temporary legal protections. [1, 2, 3]
As for the moderates supporting Hitler, I'm reminded of the right-wing Democrats (self-described centrists or moderates) who are currently busy fighting U.S. social democrats instead of Trump.
Pandemic Index on bsky, July 27, 2026
Heard a popular podcast open with "horseshoe theory" unironically as if the past quarter century of Democrat politics hasn't been a total refutation of the idea and instead, a total validation of fishhook theory:
a diagram labeled fish hook theory, with a fishhook that labels far left at the loop on one end, centrist in the middle of the hook, and the hook curving around to the tip, labeled far right directly above centrist
 
Last edited:
It's a shame really, it would be useful to have forum where folks on the left and right could talk to each other in a good faith effort to actually understand one another. The good faith part seems to be the stumbling block.

Other notes, Machiavelli's the Prince is good political science. Not just advice for a would-be dictator but good insight into management. His better work is the Discourses on Livy. Which basically compares and contrasts the then modern republics of Europe with Rome prior to about 200 BC, so before the Republic started falling apart. Great insight into human nature and how to run a republic. Not as sexy as the Prince though.

On horseshoe theory. That would be a could good topic of discussion for the radicals versus the centrists. Seems to be pretty obviously true that when the left and right get to the extremes, they are basically the same. See the nice things Steve Bannon has said about Lina Kahn. Some differences in rhetoric sure but otherwise, meh. Radicals for the most part see it as obviously false.
 
Last edited:
It's refreshing to see more bothsidesism because we all know that right now both sides are the problem and the "centrist" are above it all!
 
A young Hitchens is enough for me. What is discussed is more interesting and complex than the majority of the posts here.

Can''t say I care if you or anybody else watches it. Though it is on topic.
 
A young Hitchens is enough for me. What is discussed is more interesting and complex than the majority of the posts here.

Can''t say I care if you or anybody else watches it. Though it is on topic.
Here's the thing, how would we know if it has anything to do with this thread or includes a young Hitchens without someone who has watched it tell us that? All I see is a screen capture of some guy I don't recognize (now that you mention it, he does look like a young Hitchens might if I knew what Hitchens looked like before 40 years of hard drinking.)

Personal pet peeve and I know I'm not alone. Posting a video or podcast with nothing more than a cryptic, "what about this" or "check this out". As noted by plague, especially peeving when it's an hour long. Give folks a reason to watch with a brief explanation of what it might relate. For all we know its a long boring rickroll.
 
Last edited:
Here's the thing, how would we know if it has anything to do with this thread or includes a young Hitchens without someone who has watched it tell us that? All I see is a screen capture of some guy I don't recognize (now that you mention it, he does look like a young Hitchens might if I knew what Hitchens looked like before 40 years of hard drinking.)

Personal pet peeve and I know I'm not alone. Posting a video or podcast with nothing more than a cryptic, "what about this" or "check this out". As noted by plague, especially peeving when it's an hour long. Give folks a reason to watch with a brief explanation of what it might relate. For all we know its a long boring rickroll.

Try being funny next time.

 
Try being funny next time.

Why? I'm just pointing an aspect of posting clips to internet forums. The reason plague and I are the only people esponding is because nobody is looking at the video. The reason for that is that you didn't give a reason to. If you don't care if anyone watches, why post it?

Any hostility on my part was inadvertent. Written communication on the internet always comes across as more hostile than intended. I try to remember that, but I guess I came across as hostile and not trying to offer constructive criticism.

I will try again. If you want folks to engage with your post and the video, offer them a reason; your thoughts on why the video is relevant. Something interesting in the video that folks might be interested in, etc. I know that I and plague are not unique in this. There are lots of folks that feel the same about posts to video and audio clips.
 
Written communication on the internet always comes across as more hostile than intended. I try to remember that, but I guess I came across as hostile and not trying to offer constructive criticism.

I'm the worst at this. Both with the way I post and the way I read posts.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom