• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: UFOs: The Research, the Evidence

And this has been the common speculation for decades, but unproven and as yet untestable. Conjecture for why we don't have evidence is not evidence.

I once read a science fiction novel set long after Humanity has made contact with other intelligent species and become part of the interstellar community. A human diplomat is talking with his counterpart from another species and says "When we first started exploring other star systems, our ships were unarmed because we believed that any species advanced enough to be capable of interstellar travel would have long abandoned violence and warfare."
The alien, a member of an extremely violent and militaristic species, stares at him in disbelief and asks "Why would you ever think that?"
 
Last edited:
And not one that Cox came up with on his own, either. He's just a pretty face they put on TV to explain things that other working scientists have discovered.

That's harsh. He's a genuine scientist and an excellent communicator. Scorpion has clearly learned something from him, and I have no doubt many others have too. I've watched pretty much all his stuff and, although I don't recall learning anything new, he has certainly helped me understand it.
 
That's harsh. He's a genuine scientist and an excellent communicator. Scorpion has clearly learned something from him, and I have no doubt many others have too. I've watched pretty much all his stuff and, although I don't recall learning anything new, he has certainly helped me understand it.
I have learnt a lot from him, he has an enviable knack for explaining complicated things in a way that makes them easy to understand, even for me. And his entusiasm is contagious, which helps to keep me interested, even when I struggle to understand.
 
I tweeted Brian Cox when one of his books came out and said: Hi ! Brian, I will buy your book, but not until it comes out at reduced price in Smiths.
 
And not one that Cox came up with on his own, either. He's just a pretty face they put on TV to explain things that other working scientists have discovered.
Might be worth your while educating yourself about Prof. Brian Cox, CBE. He is a professor of particle physics in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester and the Royal Society Professor for Public Engagement in Science. He is one of the working scientists you reference. And of course many of his programs explain, and explain very well, things that others have discovered. That is generally the purpose of science documentaries aimed at the general public.

Your post seems to show you have an interest in disparaging him. Care to tell us why?
 
Cox did The Infinite Monkey Cage radio show with Robin Ince for years. Ince got dropped (not by Cox) over some disagreement that somehow pertains to trans rights culture wars stuff. So I guess Cox is now categorised "not with us".
 
I can't help noticing Brian Cox fancies himself. His face appears on the front cover of both his books. 'the wonders of the universe' and' Human universe' And there are several full page pictures of him in both books which are entirely irrelevant to the subject matter.
 
I think this refers to "He's just a pretty face they put on TV . . ."
It sounds kinda disparaging to me. Maybe it wasn't intended as such, but it could come across that way.
I have no idea if he is a "pretty face". His appearance has no bearing on his ability or qualifications to explain science to lay persons (or university classes), which he does quite well, although personally I find his presentations to be kind of slow and drawn out.
 
I can't help noticing Brian Cox fancies himself. His face appears on the front cover of both his books. 'the wonders of the universe' and' Human universe' And there are several full page pictures of him in both books which are entirely irrelevant to the subject matter.
The concept of publishers choosing a cover pic that they think will help sell books is foreign to you, huh?
 
Conjecture for why we don't have evidence is not evidence.
At the end of the day this is what it all boils down to.

There should be some quality evidence by now. With cell phones and millions of security cameras around the world you'd think we'd have something definitive, not just random lights in the night sky, or military gun-camera footage of birds, and balloons. It is possible for two things to be true at once. Odds are there is intelligent life out in the galaxy, and even incredible civilizations with technology 100 million years more advanced. They might even have FTL ability...

...But why would they come here? There is nothing on earth that can't be found elsewhere if we play the numbers game honestly. And if they come here, why hide, why would they care? If we play the numbers game honestly then there have to be other planets with a similar stage of social development as earth, so why not visit a planet closer to their own, why come all the way out here? These are the kind of questions that got me kicked out of the local UFO discussion group.

Again, where is the evidence? I've seen two UFOs, I have an open mind on this subject, but it doesn't mean I want my chain yanked by hoaxers, and scam artists with security clearances. The mainstream media has been hijacked by the UAP Industrial Complex, people whose main agenda is to sell books, get speaking fees, and maybe sell movie rights. Getting the facts (if any) out into the light of day is not on their list at all.
 
Whether Cox's face is pretty or not is irrelevant. It is, however, recognizable and evocative—just as are the faces of Carl Sagan, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, and any number of famous science communicators. If Stephen Hawking can have his picture on his books, so can Cox.
 
Whether Cox's face is pretty or not is irrelevant. It is, however, recognizable and evocative—just as are the faces of Carl Sagan, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, and any number of famous science communicators. If Stephen Hawking can have his picture on his books, so can Cox.
Cox's face is only relevant to those who are searching for a reason to imply that he is not a very capable scientist.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom