Hallo Alfie
Banned
- Joined
- Oct 4, 2009
- Messages
- 10,691
I was serious about this decision being, at least in part, about class.
Or lack thereof.
to discourage drink driving. I don't get how this is a complicated concept.
Me either.
I was serious about this decision being, at least in part, about class.
to discourage drink driving. I don't get how this is a complicated concept.
to discourage drink driving. I don't get how this is a complicated concept.
let me try again with an explanation of why I think this is a good idea:
It is a statistically observable fact that the more alcohol you consume, the more likely you are to get into an accident if you drive.
While there are "safe" levels of alcohol use (for varying values of "safe"), these are always going to be to a degree arbitrary, due to alcohol tolerance and other factors.
Rather than rely solely on banning driving based on blood alcohol level, it is a good idea to foster and encourage responsible behaviours, while discouraging behaviours that increase the likelihood that someone who is impaired by alcohol will be operating a motor vehicle.
An easily enforcable way to discourage someone from operating a motor vehicle if they have been drinking is to ban drinking while operating a motor vehicle.
Unlike blood alcohol levels, the presence of a beer bottle in someone's hand or car can be a good way of stopping someone driving who may later prove to be a danger to themselves. While I do not have statistics for this, I would be very surprised if there were not a strong correlation between arrests for drinking while driving and blood alcohol levels higher than the legal limit.
Banning the consumption of alcohol while driving is a fairly simple, easily enforcable, well defined way of putting a barrier between alcohol consumption and motor vehicle operation.
Coke as well?
I can't think of a definition of "responsible people" that includes "people who drink while driving"
I think i have *once* had an alcoholic drink whilst driving a car. (Literally, a sip of a shot of something, since I was driving around a bachelor's party at the time.) There is very little incentive for me to drink whilst driving - there is a lot of incentive to drive after having drunk.
I still don't see it.
You might as well ban wine and whiskey, but not beer: It will work if and only if the vast majority of people drinks wine or whiskey, but not beer and if the vast majority of people has a strong enough preferences for those two drinks over beer.
Anyone not drinking more than they would otherwise drink before starting to drive.
If you're trying to ask a question, try to use a few more words so I can have an idea of exactly what you are talking about.
Nope. If you are consuming something that impairs your functions while operating a motor vehicle, you're still a bloody idiot.
Unless you're speaking as a representative of drunk drivers, I'm not quite sure what your point is.
I;'ll rephrase my conjecture: If you were to divide drivers into the people who are drinking a beer while driving and the people who aren't drinking a beer while driving, I would wager that the first group have considerably higher blood alcohol. Thus, stopping people for drinking whilst driving is a decent way of flagging people who are driving while impaired.
Your analogy doesn't work for two reasons: first of all, my point was about enforcability. A ban on spirits is no more enforcable than a ban on beer. There is no difference whatsoever in how you would enforce them. On the other hand, a ban on drinking while driving is very easy to enforce, or at least it's very easy to catch people who are doing it.
Secondly, if your intention is to stop people driving while drunk, there is a direct connection between consuming alcohol while operating a motor vehicle and being intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle. Choice of alcohol consumed is not a factor.
You know exactly what I'm talking about, and the fact that you won't address it speaks volumes.
Nobody here has shown that driving with an blood alcohol level of less than 0.05% is dangerous.
Yes, but that is only because the first group includes all the people who didn't drink at all; and the people who drank before driving are shared between those don't drink while driving and those that do.
I disagree. I think drinking while driving is indicative of a wider irresponsibility in terms of drinking habits. I would like to see figures on this, but I feel they would back me up on this point.
So this is a sanctimonious belief devoid of evidence. Thanks, that explains your position.
It didn't take long for you to run out of arguments and start insulting people, did it?
I'm not insulting you at all. Just pointing out the faults in your arguments. There's a big difference.
It didn't take long for you to run out of arguments and start insulting people, did it?[/QUOTE
You admitted lacking proof to support your conclusions, and resorted to using your "feelings". You ran out of arguments and he called you on it. Where was the insult?