• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

"Travellers"

You missed lionking's earlier point. Society has made the law the legal BAC limit. In Victoria's case, it's .05. So, it's already legal to have 2 beers and then drive. Why is having 2 beers while driving different?

You seem to agree that society can make laws. So why can't society make a law that says you can't drink and drive if they wish?
 
I wouldn't do that. Most NA beer is labeled "less than 0.5% alc/vol" so it's not technically an alcohol-free beverage.
Certainly true for some, but not as common as it used to be. Beck's alcohol free, for example, is not more than 0.05%, and that seems to be increasingly the figure I see. When you get down to that sort of strength, I suspect some fruit juices contain more alcohol.
 
"travellers" have always been beers illegally drank while driving, at least for me here in Canada. I can't recall a time when open alcohol was permitted in a vehicle (even for transport I think it had to be out of the reach of the driver).

I can see why they want to make it illegal, it's a bad idea because it almost encourages people to drink and drive. At the same time why do responsible people have to be inconvenienced by the idiots? I hope it saves lives but I honestly think the good drivers will stop and the bad drivers, the problem drivers, will just get sneaky.

Like I said, been illegal as long as I've been drinking and everyone knows what they are ;)
 
You seem to agree that society can make laws. So why can't society make a law that says you can't drink and drive if they wish?

Yes, I get it. Of course, society can make a law based on illogic. I'm just wondering about the logic behind the law. My take is that the reason is emotional, not logical.

For example:

a: Bogan drinks 2 stubbies, gets into Holden ute and drives home. Legal.
b: Bogan gets into Holden ute, drinks 2 stubbies on his commute. Illegal.

Please elucidate - Why should example b be illegal while a should be legal?

ETA - I've already shown my reason for preferring option B. If his commute is 30 minutes, then his average BAC is less for the entire time he's drinking those 2 beers, vs. option A.
 
Last edited:
It's easier to enforce b ..

It's logical economically and logistically, as I mentioned in my earlier post..

...... I'm arguing that it is much easier and cheaper, for enforcement agencies to write you up for drinking an alcoholic beverage while driving, than proving you are over the limit...

Also if b were legal, Bogan is more likely to drink 2 in the pub, then 2 more during the commute.
 
Also if b were legal, Bogan is more likely to drink 2 in the pub, then 2 more during the commute.

Is there any evidence of this claim? If it's true there should be some statistical evidence that shows Australian's are more likely to drink and drive than Canadians or Michiganders.

If it's true it sure makes Australians look like the hillbilly's of the common wealth :boxedin:
 
This is just more of the man stepping his boot on our neck.

Of course you shouldn't drive while intoxicated. But a couple of beers on the way home should be legal. The problem with law is that it's one size fits all. This means that people who just want to crack a beer on the way home from 7-11 after mowing the lawn end up in the same category as drunks who chug whisky and speed down the freeway going the wrong direction. There is subtlety here that should be taken into account.

Of course you'll get those who want to ban driving after a single beer. To you I say you need to live a little more and loosen up. You're never going to regulate the true drunks off the road unless you throw them in jail. Making travellers illegal or lowering the BAC limit to something stupidly low just gets a lot of regular people who wouldn't have hurt anyone in trouble for no reason.
 
Is there any evidence of this claim? If it's true there should be some statistical evidence that shows Australian's are more likely to drink and drive than Canadians or Michiganders.

If it's true it sure makes Australians look like the hillbilly's of the common wealth :boxedin:
Well, sadly, this may be true. But if you are going to call people hillbillies, you might want to spell it correctly.


Skeptical Greg said:
Also if b were legal, Bogan is more likely to drink 2 in the pub, then 2 more during the commute.
Evidence?

\Making travellers illegal or lowering the BAC limit to something stupidly low just gets a lot of regular people who wouldn't have hurt anyone in trouble for no reason.
Agree. The folks (at least in the USA) that are arguing for lower BAC limits are really neo-prohibitionists.
 
Last edited:
Well, sadly, this may be true. But if you are going to call people hillbillies, you might want to spell it correctly.

I'm 100% confident it's spelled correctly. Considerably less confident it's the possessive and not the plural form I was looking for. :p
 
("the hillbilly's what?" That should tell you.) ;)

the hillbilly's drunk? :p

Well it's the hillbilly's of the common wealth isn't it? It's the singular within a group. Like the bully's bully, the King of the bullies.

The sad thing is I know both are spelled correct because I tried both out. 50/50 chance, I should have went with my gut.:mad:
 
Only one in the biblical sense, but I may be confused in what you are asking...

Have a look at any drive through between 5 and 6pm. They are full of tradies utes, vans and tray trucks. Do you think they are buying a bottle of chardy for the evening meal? These drive throughs also, coincidentally I'm sure, have beer in ice filled cabinets ready to go.

I was serious about this decision being, at least in part, about class.
 
Have a look at any drive through between 5 and 6pm. They are full of tradies utes, vans and tray trucks. Do you think they are buying a bottle of chardy for the evening meal? These drive throughs also, coincidentally I'm sure, have beer in ice filled cabinets ready to go.

I was serious about this decision being, at least in part, about class.

Ahh - yes know that situation well. I have to lock the Maserati whilst I go in and get a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio, and sometimes I have to wait for the vans to get out of the way. Didn't realise they drank whilst driving home though.
 
I suspect this sort of thing is really just a step towards making it illegal to register any alcohol in your blood while driving. Which is probably a good thing.
 
"travellers" have always been beers illegally drank while driving, at least for me here in Canada. I can't recall a time when open alcohol was permitted in a vehicle (even for transport I think it had to be out of the reach of the driver).

I can see why they want to make it illegal, it's a bad idea because it almost encourages people to drink and drive. At the same time why do responsible people have to be inconvenienced by the idiots? I hope it saves lives but I honestly think the good drivers will stop and the bad drivers, the problem drivers, will just get sneaky.

Like I said, been illegal as long as I've been drinking and everyone knows what they are ;)

I can't think of a definition of "responsible people" that includes "people who drink while driving"
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom