• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged This Just In - Water is NOT wet!

156584a30d4e307add.jpg
Beer is made with water. In fact, it's mostly water. 90+%.
 
yeah, I figured I might be wrong after I realized how much we would all have to pee during those frat parties.
 
Regarding the diuretic effects of coffee and beer:

There are several different mechanisms that cause more urine production. Caffeine and alcohol do 2 different things.

In short, Caffeine causes the kidneys to pull more water out of the blood for filtering. Alcohol keeps the kidneys from returning as much water back to the blood after filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuretic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasopressin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomerular_filtration_rate

Thus, Red Bull and vodka will cause even greater urination than either alone.

Long term effects of not drinking enough water include kidney stones. Coffee is good :) and beer is yummy :) :) but drink some water later.
 
One must also keep in mind that, in Europe, people don't generally drink water from the sink -- my apartment had water that was visibly brown. So they only drink liquids from bottles, or boiled, filtered water, ala coffee. So claims on bottles would have bigger impact there.

Whatnow? I've drunk tapwater my entire life. On the several holidays i've had to france and germany i've done the same. In greece we were warned not to, and I think some parts of spain too, because it's potentially not good for people who aren't used to it (the locals are fine). But where the hell were you staying for brown water?
 
I have to ask the same question as stokes234. I have traveled all over Europe, and lived in 3 different countries. None had brown water, which would be indicative of a very broken and contaminated canalization. Now if you rent, it might be that your proprietor is illegally trying to put off the broken house canalization repair, but that has nothing to do with the quality of tap water, and more to do with not living in a dump.
 
Whatnow? I've drunk tapwater my entire life. On the several holidays i've had to france and germany i've done the same. In greece we were warned not to, and I think some parts of spain too, because it's potentially not good for people who aren't used to it (the locals are fine). But where the hell were you staying for brown water?

In Germany a lot of people drink sparkling water; recently it's been popular to make this at home from tap water, though.

I've often heared that the regulations for tap waterare stricter even than for bottled water.

Brown water from the tap here would be indicative of a problem with the plumbing - or possibly extremely high iron contents.
 
In Germany a lot of people drink sparkling water; recently it's been popular to make this at home from tap water, though.

Yeah, I did an exchange trip to Germany once, and the family I stayed with gave me a very weird look when I turned down the fizzy water and asked for tap water. But then they gave me a glass and it was exactly the same as anywhere else.

In my defence, fizzy water is objectively the most digusting thing of all time.
 
In greece we were warned not to, and I think some parts of spain too, because it's potentially not good for people who aren't used to it (the locals are fine).

In Crete we were warned not to drink the tap water because it apparently has a very high mineral content. As a result it tastes funny. I drank litres of the stuff and if it wasn't cold it did taste funny but I suffered no ill effects.

I have happily drunk tap water in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Andorra, Spain, Eire and Italy without suffering any ill effects. The local beer on the other hand has often had me feeling distinctly second-hand the next day :D


..sorry, forgot Portugal
 
Whatnow? I've drunk tapwater my entire life. On the several holidays i've had to france and germany i've done the same. In greece we were warned not to, and I think some parts of spain too, because it's potentially not good for people who aren't used to it (the locals are fine). But where the hell were you staying for brown water?

I think he must have stayed in a flat above a pub and confused the draught beer taps for water taps!
 
Water does not prevent dehydration

Well at least according to some EU commission
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

"They applied for the right to state that “regular consumption of significant amounts of water can reduce the risk of development of dehydration” as well as preventing a decrease in performance.
However, last February, the European Food Standards Authority (EFSA) refused to approve the statement.
A meeting of 21 scientists in Parma, Italy, concluded that reduced water content in the body was a symptom of dehydration and not something that drinking water could subsequently control."
 
I should apply for the right to claim that eating my brand of pizza significantly reduces the risk of death by starvation.
 
It's garbage reporting.

For the real story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/nov/18/1

Manufacturers of bottled water have been marketing their almost entirely worthless product on the back of the thoroughly debunked "you must drink eight glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration" myth for years. Shipping bottles of water around a country with a perfectly adequate tap water supply is an obscene waste of resouces. People simply do not need to carry bottles of water around and sip from them constantly to avoid dehydration, as these manufacturers would have us believe.
 
It's garbage reporting.

For the real story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/nov/18/1

Manufacturers of bottled water have been marketing their almost entirely worthless product on the back of the thoroughly debunked "you must drink eight glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration" myth for years. Shipping bottles of water around a country with a perfectly adequate tap water supply is an obscene waste of resouces. People simply do not need to carry bottles of water around and sip from them constantly to avoid dehydration, as these manufacturers would have us believe.

but yanno
tapwater bad because they put stuff in it to protect you
springwater good because its filtered by rock, soil and dead bugs
:D
 
It's garbage reporting.

For the real story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/nov/18/1

Manufacturers of bottled water have been marketing their almost entirely worthless product on the back of the thoroughly debunked "you must drink eight glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration" myth for years. Shipping bottles of water around a country with a perfectly adequate tap water supply is an obscene waste of resouces. People simply do not need to carry bottles of water around and sip from them constantly to avoid dehydration, as these manufacturers would have us believe.

Thank you, I was wondering.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom