Okay, my chance of picking the Ace of Spades from a shuffled deck is 1 in 52. So I grab one card at random, the first card I pick, and what do you know, it's the Ace of Spades! I didn't have to pick 51 other cards first before I got to it, even though the odds were 1 in 52. And you're saying it's not psi? Aw, come on, man.
Actually, I got into a very similar discussion on Facebook with a friend of Anita (the one who took her to the FACT meetings, I think). He was amazed that even though he doesn't play cards that much, he has gotten a royal flush twice!!! He also seems to believe he has been involved in a number of other event that were extremely unlikely statistically.
His first mistake was thinking that it was a 1 in ~650,000 chance to get a RF. Those are the odds of getting it on a five card deal. When you draw 7 cards (Texas hold 'em, stud, draw poker with two discards, etc), it drops down to a 1 in ~32,000 chance of a RF. In draw poker you can discard 4 cards if you get an ace, thus the odds of a royal flush are even greater.
I told him that I was playing cards that day and got A-Clubs, 4-Diamonds, 4-Hearts, 9-Clubs, 10-Clubs. The odds of getting that hand was 1 in ~2.5M. On the very next hand I got 2-Diamonds, 3-Diamonds, 4-Clubs, Jack-Spades, Queen-Hearts. The odds of getting *that* hand was also 1 in ~2.5M. The odds of getting both those hands in a row were 1 in (2.5M * 2.5M). Un-Freaking-Believable!!
He then countered that if you did a distribution of all the possible hands you find royal flushes to be statistical outliers. In other words they were extremely unlikely.
I patiently explained that he was wrong. Every possible five card hand is just as likely as the next. The distribution is completely flat. Only if you are playing poker and distribute the hands according to rank, royal flushes become outliers. They are useless in a game of Go Fish. You can group the hands any way you want, but it doesn't change the fact that each *individual* hand is just as likely as the next.
The only reason a royal flush has meaning is that we invented a game where it was important to have various card combinations that were ranked from weakest to strongest *and* have those hands be easy to remember. We could have said that the two hands I describe above were the best possible hands, but who in the hell is going to remember that?
Also, if you think about it, there are no "groupings" in poker if you're in a game that ranks suits. In reality there is a continuous ranking of hands from weakest to strongest. Groupings are just convenient ways of looking at the hands.
I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but understanding statistics is vital to understanding what is being attempted in these paranormal tests. If you don't approach the problem correctly, you end up seeing significance where none exists.
This test had the goal of making random chance an extremely unlikely cause for success (assuming she succeeded). At the extreme, suppose Anita was given one person missing a kidney and was asked to tell us which one was missing. If she picked the right one, how would we know if it was her ability or just a lucky guess? We couldn't know. So what they did was settle on a situation where they said in effect, "There's only one chance in 1,728 of success by guessing, so if she gets them all correct, we have enough confidence to investigate this further."
Contrast that with the sonagram lady. She would explain exactly how the device works, and we could verify that it fits with known science. She would then describe exactly what will be seen in both the presence and absence of a kidney. She would then do her thing, and we could all see for ourselves where the kidney was and was not.
In that case, we don't need to be so concerned about statistics. Fraud, maybe, but that's another subject. If I were a potential investor, I'd be happy with a demonstration with just a few people of my choosing.
Also, if that woman took the IIG test, she would have gotten all three correct without a problem. This is the difference between science and fantasy.