John Freestone
Graduate Poster
Oh humber, that's one of your charming little things you do again, isn't it. You're so humble. It's not that you take a lack of contention from others as reason to doubt your view; you are just right whatever happens.No contradiction, I think, John. Usually, if I get responses that are said to contradict my claims, they turn out to be false, or apples and pears.
Well, do keep us posted, eh, with references that support your claim. I'm clean out of ones that support mine so far, I have to admit.Not easy to find, I agree.
No, I don't think so. I'd be incredibly stupid to do that. I was describing a mechanism that might lead to the contact area being forwards of the axle, which involved considering the materials and how they would transfer force through them when a torque was applied to the wheel and resistance force applied by the road. I did not spell some of those details out quite so clearly, but I'm doing so now perfectly in accord with what I did indicate earlier at first intuitive glance. I try also to do the same and get your result, but my mind revolts.You are confusing the distortion of the rubber with where the driving force is,
I think I understand what you're saying here, that in the case of the driven wheel, the torque is transfered to the wheel via its axle, but I did not imagine anything different from that. Then the wheel, forced to begin turning, transfers that force to the ground (I suppose roughly linearly, backwards), which resists if there is friction (applied force forwards), which causes (in my imagination, at least) the rubber or whatever to bunch up to the fore.and you need to drive it from the axle not the rim.
I assume, of course, that you mean that the contact area includes the position directly below the axle, but extends more to the rear? We haven't got daylight between that axle position and the tarmac, surely? ...oh, you define it later as at the edge....wow!...
Yeah.Tyres are complex, and have controlled modes of flexure, because they must also handle cornering forces etc.
(As an side, an engineer told me that marketing would often reject tyre designs, because they did no look 'aggressive enough'. I found that disquieting.)
This sounds rather like what I'm describing, but where these terms 'plough' and 'rear acting force' come from, I don't know. I interpret it as I said - the resistance of the road through friction (rear acting force? - but it's directed forward in my case) causes the distortion I see in soft rubber. It is compressed by the torque trying to force it down at the front against the ground, which (even temporarily) resists that force.ETA: The forward distortion that you see in soft rubber is the 'plough' of the rear acting force.
Non grokki mio das relevienza. (I just made that up)Think of a car in soft and or mud. A belt moving belt under the wheels cannot do that, without moving the cart along with it, let alone create a force from the rear, to be in the opposite direction.
If your wheel has sticky surface, and you roll it over a sheet of paper, then the paper will shear a way from the rear.
This is your most impressive point, I think, the idea that the wheel can only be pushed by the ground, and not pulled. I sense that it isn't actually true, however, and you let the cat out of the bag already with that sticky shearing sheet of paper earlier. Did that get pushed from behind too? No, it is quite easy to refute what I think your argument is here: if you have a wheel in an even more extreme negation of this than I am suggesting, when it's trying to mount a curb, for instance. It still makes darn good progress up the curb (or just a sharp incline while the rear wheels are on the level). It doesn't have to have a contact point behind the axle to do that. It can drag itself up. Friction is a wonderful thing, as you know.The car is in forward motion, so the driving force must come as thrust from behind the driving axle. The contact patch, the reactive frictional force of the ground, must also be from behind the axle.
It is not possible for for the wheel to drag the vehicle forward in front of the axle,
Mere assertion as cause of the above idea, which I seem to have now refuted. But wait: on slightly flat tyres going slowly? You must have seen contact points spread widely either side of the axle.because the first point of contact lies directly under the axle.
A further effect of the cause "the first point of contact lies directly under the axle", not established.That is why the wheel must deform to some degree for driven motion to occur.
Repetition of your assertion. C'mon, you're just making this all up, incha?The only option for forward motion, is behind the axle.
That looks like an interesting tangent. Thanks.This is also why locomotives can pull more than their weight. The static friction of the driving wheels against steel is low and due to gravity, and lying under the axle. Force of acceleration distorts the wheel and track to produce a higher rolling friction, allowing greater loads to be hauled, because the hauled wheels will still have something like the lower static friction.
Early railway engineers did not know this, and built geared tracks and even legs. (Brunton's and Blackinson's engines.)
There, something that has been learned about classical mechanics in the last 200 years.
Which side of the axle do you reckon the contact point tends towards when you do an emergency stop? We might be able to feed that bit of intuition/memory/whatever into our musings.
Last edited: