• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello CORed,

you forgot to mention that the forces balance for the cat only because her paws are sliding! How could you! Not to mention that her tail stores lots of KE to keep the cat on track....

Greetings,

Chris

You are correct of course. Also, while in college, I had a summer job on a tribble farm, and I frequently saw tribles remain stationary while rolling on a perfectly level conveyor belt for several weeks. Obviously the cat's apparent walking is an illusion.
 
Whats that contraption? A motorized millenium or swift?

Yup. That's a motorized Millennium. That particular one belongs to the guy that designed it. They put a motor on it for a change of pace. It can be flown from the runway with the motor unit, or flown in the mountains or at the ridge without.
 
Humber, thank you for taking the time to answer some of the questions I asked. I look forward to seeing your responses to the rest of them some time.


When Einstein did these experiments, he was working up an argument.
He put himself in a lift, so cutting off all external information. His conclusion was that when this was done, there would be no means of determining the velocity, but he noted that the one thing he could not shut out, was acceleration. Absolute acceleration has a "meaning" that absolute velocity does not.

The experiment is designed not to say "you can't tell", that is ludicrous. The point of a scientific tool is to reveal, not to obscure. He is simply stripping away all the other things, to reveal the "bottom line".


First, Einstein didn't actually put himself in a lift with an accelerometer. It was purely a thought experiment.

Second, the experiment was intended to explore the equivalence between gravitational pull and acceleration, and has nothing at all to do with the box-car thought experiment that has been put to you. I don't know why you brought the lift experiment up in the first place.

Third, the conclusion of Einstein's experimant actually was "you can't tell". I don't think that's ludicrous at all.

Click here for more info.


What good can such an environment be? You can do nothing!. How could it be the basis of a useful idea?


The point of simplified hypothetical situations is to develop a greater understanding of the underlying physics that apply to the situation, so that this understanding can then be applied to more realistic situations.

This is a proven technique that has been applied successfully throughout history, and has been used to develop many useful ideas. Like Einstein's lift experiment, for example.


This is a pointless discussion in many ways, because the treadmill has nothing to do with frames at all.


While I do agree that discussing this subject with you does seem rather pointless in many ways, I must disagree with your assertion that the treadmill has nothing to do with frames at all.

To me, the road+wind vs treadmill+nowind comparison seems a perfect example of the application of different frames of reference.

But if this "perfect example" has nothing to do with it at all, then what does? Is my knowledge of frames of reference so fundamentally flawed that I cannot even recognize a situation in which different frames of reference can be usefully applied?

If this is the case, then please explain the concept of frames of reference for me. After all, I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself by stubbornly clinging to a flawed understanding of physics when everyone else is trying to point out my mistakes.


The treadmill is false, it is so. I am not interested in playing parlour games as a sideline. They are trivial. The solution is in any book on the topic. So what?


Simply asserting that the treadmill example is false does nothing to answer my question as to why you think it is false.

Can you post a link to, or quote some text from one of these book that discusses this topic? It would help us better understand what you are trying to tell us.


Perhaps I am saying WTF does a hobo in a van have to do with anything?


Put a fan in the van (or box-car) and replace the hobo with the DDWFTTW cart.

If the fan is blowing the air backwards with the exact same velocity that the box-car is moving, then you have exactly the same situation as the treadmill. The air is still relative to the ground, but the surface the cart is on is moving.

Stop the train and you have the same situation as the cart on the open road. The air is moving, but the surface the cart is on is still.

The question is, assuming the train is moving with no acceleration of vibration, does the velocity of the train effect how the cart responds to the air blown by the fan?

If the answer is no, then the treadmill must be valid.
If the answer is yes, then we want to know why.


The real road is connected to the ground, so the belt must also be the ground. The earth moving below the cart.


The cart is only connected to the surface it is travelling on and the air around it. It makes no difference to the cart how fast the air or surface it rests on is moving relative to the earth. All that matters to the cart is how fast the air and the surface are moving relative to the cart.


What you are trying to say is that a person standing in moving wind, is the same as a person moving in still air?


Yes. I thought that would have been very clear by now. I don't see any difference.

If you can see a difference, then please explain it to me by answering the skateboarder question. (The car can represent the person moving through the air, and the skateboarder can represent an air molecule.)


Using my chute and skates, I travel to windspeed on the belt. The differential velocity between the wheel and belt, will be zero. This is not the case in real wind. Case closed.


What about friction between the skates and belt? Wouldn't that ensure that you'd never quite get to windspeed on the belt, exactly like you'd never quite get to windspeed on a road in real wind?

Unless, of course, you had frictionless skates. But in that case, you would get up to windspeed in "real" wind too.


How does the water know it should get out of the way? How much warning does it need? I mean real water, not ducks in a row.


Do you often get overtaken by people driving at the same speed as you're driving?

If they're travelling at the same speed, there's no need for the water to get out of the way. Relative to the water, the boat isn't moving.

The boat has no more need to push the water out of the way than the guy behind you needs to overtake you if he's driving the same speed you are.
 
Last edited:
the experiment was intended to explore the equivalence between gravitational pull and acceleration...
Third, the conclusion of Einstein's experimant actually was "you can't tell".

Interestingly, you can't tell if the box is sufficiently small. Gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable at a point, but over a larger area you can detect two effects (both related to gravity gradient) that will distinguish gravity from acceleration. Just an interesting side note.
 
Interestingly, you can't tell if the box is sufficiently small. Gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable at a point, but over a larger area you can detect two effects (both related to gravity gradient) that will distinguish gravity from acceleration. Just an interesting side note.

Yes, all macroscopic masses have a gravitational field.
 
You are correct of course. Also, while in college, I had a summer job on a tribble farm, and I frequently saw tribles remain stationary while rolling on a perfectly level conveyor belt for several weeks. Obviously the cat's apparent walking is an illusion.

And what did that tell you about the behavior of tribbles?
 
I have a question for which I'd like the Humberian Physics solution: in a uniform current of 2.5 m/s (approx 5.6 mph), at what speed (if any) will a raft (or canoe) have no wake? We can assume that it's the Gulf Stream if we need to, in order to make the current adequately uniform, and it's a shallow-draft raft. In the universe, there will be no wake at 2.5 m/s, but in the Humberverse, I don't know the answer.
 
Humber, thank you for taking the time to answer some of the questions I asked. I look forward to seeing your responses to the rest of them some time.
OK Brian-M, but how many layers are there to your rather ironic onion?
I will definitely answer the other questions. A little time. I appreciate you noted that. ( Am I not allowed some recreational fishing ? There is a point to that too)

First, Einstein didn't actually put himself in a lift with an accelerometer. It was purely a thought experiment.
You know I know that!. But your remark is the problem, they are taken too literally.

Second, the experiment was intended to explore the equivalence between gravitational pull and acceleration, and has nothing at all to do with the box-car thought experiment that has been put to you. I don't know why you brought the lift experiment up in the first place.
Other experiments explore the speed of light; the speed on information. The lift is also about what information can be excluded. I can't say that your expression is wrong.
But you see Brian_M, he's Albert bloody Einstein, and I am not sure that I can actually second-guess his reasoning. I may claim to understand his results, but the other?
You are hoisted on your own petard here, because if I put you in the box, do you think that you are going to notice something that "Albert" missed?

Third, the conclusion of Einstein's experiment actually was "you can't tell". I don't think that's ludicrous at all.
No, that I am sure is wrong. I will perhaps cover that in the promised reply.

Mental masturbation. May be correct, but...
It's taking something to the limit, to see how "clever" you are. Compare this with Einstein. He takes a book and two ordinary torches, and through the magic of his thinking, produces a proof that the speed of light is absolute. It is simple, but extraordinary. Einstein is the icon, but there are many others.
Alan Turing, Faraday, Daniel Dennett....

The point of simplified hypothetical situations is to develop a greater understanding of the underlying physics that apply to the situation, so that this understanding can then be applied to more realistic situations.
Yes, but then not to use it to confound.

This is a proven technique that has been applied successfully throughout history, and has been used to develop many useful ideas. Like Einstein's lift experiment, for example.
How can I a possibly disagree with that, especially since I do it for a living?
Of course,but,the same technique has, and still is, used to produce BS. Maybe that's it. You think I am arguing about scientific principles, rather than their quality, relevance or abuse.
I don't know what you do for a living Brain_M, but there is a lot of absolute rubbish orthodox science, let lone pseudo-science. I think it's getting worse. Perhaps it's inevitable. When little is know, only the really insightful can make progress. Then that knowledge builds, and the leading edge moves to somewhere else, perhaps the LHC, to leave some of the remainder to the also-rans. Education standards fall to meet the demand and....

While I do agree that discussing this subject with you does seem rather pointless in many ways, I must disagree with your assertion that the treadmill has nothing to do with frames at all.
OK, I'm still listening.

To me, the road+wind vs treadmill+nowind comparison seems a perfect example of the application of different frames of reference.
Yes, it does seem that way. I nearly fell for it part of it. A car being driven on the road, is not like a car with the road underneath. When I said that the stationary cart is wrong because it has no KE for example, that is correct, but actually, it's not possible in principle. Again, more later.

But if this "perfect example" has nothing to do with it at all, then what does? Is my knowledge of frames of reference so fundamentally flawed that I cannot even recognize a situation in which different frames of reference can be usefully applied?
ETA:
There is not so much wrong with your views, and perhaps you can argue that it is essentially correct, or as good as anybody's, but you can't actually make a frame in the way that is attempted with the treadmill
I really can't say. I will try to explain later, because I think you are genuine, but you have to consider changing your mind. I have been thinking about this, and the treadmill is very odd. I came to the conclusion that it was nonsense almost immediately. That is my "gut instinct" thinking, but of course, I will definitely be the first to remind anyone of the risks of that, but it does give a base from which to work.
So, I managed to come up with a lot of "views" about it. They come in different forms Some are simply physical. It can be the "differential wheel version" or the "balance version", and if I stretch to the metaphorical, the "winsdpeed" idea. The physical versions are really just part of the same effect, they are correct (or close enough) but the emphasis of explanation is moved. I think that's the problem. Which one is right? Check for errors and inconsistencies, to find the winner.

If this is the case, then please explain the concept of frames of reference for me. After all, I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself by stubbornly clinging to a flawed understanding of physics when everyone else is trying to point out my mistakes.
OK, I will try.


Simply asserting that the treadmill example is false does nothing to answer my question as to why you think it is false.
I have done more than assert, Brian_M. In fact, simple assertion is what I loath about some people's attitude.

Can you post a link to, or quote some text from one of these book that discusses this topic? It would help us better understand what you are trying to tell us.
Links, oh boy. There is a lot of metaphysics at work here. That involves the "observer" a concious being. How and what that "knows" is a minefield, and a big topic.

Put a fan in the van (or box-car) and replace the hobo with the DDWFTTW cart.
If the fan is blowing the air backwards with the exact same velocity that the box-car is moving, then you have exactly the same situation as the treadmill. The air is still relative to the ground, but the surface the cart is on is moving.
No. Here we have some definite physical errors. Don't start from the boxcar and work backwards. Try it the other way. See the cart for what it is, a real object, and then see what happens if you "box car" it.

Stop the train and you have the same situation as the cart on the open road. The air is moving, but the surface the cart is on is still.
The question is, assuming the train is moving with no acceleration of vibration, does the velocity of the train effect how the cart responds to the air blown by the fan?

If the answer is no, then the treadmill must be valid.
If the answer is yes, then we want to know why.
Tricky. An experiment to confirm a forgone conclusion.

The cart is only connected to the surface it is travelling on and the air around it. It makes no difference to the cart how fast the air or surface it rests on is moving relative to the earth. All that matters to the cart is how fast the air and the surface are moving relative to the cart.
It does!. It definitely does!


Yes. I thought that would have been very clear by now. I don't see any difference.
If you can see a difference, then please explain it to me by answering the skateboarder question. (The car can represent the person moving through the air, and the skateboarder can represent an air molecule.)
OK. But do you not see how that skateboard question is loaded?
Also, how can I answer questions about magical forces? I have not been able to disabuse anyone of this "zero force" idea.

A question for you. An objects is falling through the air under gravity, to terminal velocity. It is agreed that the force of gravity and drag balance, so acceleration stops. Do you then say the force is zero?
If I add instruments that tell me the values of the two forces, does that change the situation?
What about say, 1 second before terminal velocity?

What about friction between the skates and belt? Wouldn't that ensure that you'd never quite get to windspeed on the belt, exactly like you'd never quite get to windspeed on a road in real wind?
Unless, of course, you had frictionless skates. But in that case, you would get up to windspeed in "real" wind too.
(The skates are the only opposing force in this argument, a hypothetical situation. That is understood)
Even still, under the described conditions, the skater can do no better than to go as fast as the parachute.

Do you often get overtaken by people driving at the same speed as you're driving?
That is a question of relative velocities. Now, on the one hand you are saying "how can you not see this if you drive a car?". The question assumes that I do see what you see, right? Why? It's a common experience. We have the same sensory devices, so you expect the same of me. You are right.

If they're traveling at the same speed, there's no need for the water to get out of the way. Relative to the water, the boat isn't moving.
The boat has no more need to push the water out of the way than the guy behind you needs to overtake you if he's driving the same speed you are.
No. Absolutely not, for a number of reasons. However, this analogy is certainly wrong.
Cars have independent power sources, and intelligent drivers, controlling the car so the collision doesn't happen.
"Flow" is difficult to imagine. It's very easy to settle on one point. The laminar flow is a good one. Some are mentally following the profile of the flow, or the leading edge of the flow, but not the flow.

---------
A really good point came up about the Monty Hall problem. This is full of information about the world, but that is not the point I want to make.
The problem is an assault your senses. "No, you can't change probability, it's one in three", but mathematics says not.
This puzzle is not new even as claimed, but I first heard of it about 10 years ago from, I think, an older copy of New Scientist. At that time, the esteemed mathematician Paul Erdos would not accept the 2/3 solution, yet he's a mathematician!. I don't know if he changed his mind, but he did not accept the initial result. That is at least one problem with appeals to authority, and especially a single authority.
 
Last edited:
A question for you. An objects is falling through the air under gravity, to terminal velocity. It is agreed that the force of gravity and drag balance, so acceleration stops. Do you then say the force is zero?
If I add instruments that tell me the values of the two forces, does that change the situation?

No, no, no! I already said, the forces involved can be zero or a million times as much but they are balanced, which is the same as saying no unbalanced force. There can also be a million different forces that cancel each other out and the result is still zero acceleration, because there is no unbalanced force acting on the object.

There is a huge difference, and you have to stop exchanging the phrase "no force" for "no unbalanced force". You can't do that and expect to understand what is going on.

Does this look familiar, humber? We already covered this, and you're the one saying there is no force and trying to make it look like others are doing that. Do you understand?

The cart: when the thrust from the propeller and the resistance of the wheels turning is balanced, the cart is at a steady speed. Do you then say there is no force?
 
Last edited:
"Erdös was unconvinced by the simple decision table but reluctantly accepted that vos Savant was right after Vázsonyi ran a Monte Carlo simulation on his PC."
http://www.vector.org.uk/archive/v231/chance.htm

Very smart guy, got it wrong on his first try, was apparently willing to listen to reason. Unlike some people.
 
I have a question for which I'd like the Humberian Physics solution: in a uniform current of 2.5 m/s (approx 5.6 mph), at what speed (if any) will a raft (or canoe) have no wake? We can assume that it's the Gulf Stream if we need to, in order to make the current adequately uniform, and it's a shallow-draft raft. In the universe, there will be no wake at 2.5 m/s, but in the Humberverse, I don't know the answer.

I don't understand your question there, JJcote.
I doubt that there is never a wake for a raft. A speck of dust sitting on the surface tension of the smooth surface, yes. Now, I think you can picture that. The dust, or perhaps an insect, is sitting in a "dimple" in the water.
Edited by Gaspode: 
Edited for civility and Rule 10


Now, what is different about a raft? What about a half-submerged oil drum?
A bluff object at both ends. That will have a "wake" a both ends at all speeds. The situation you are thinking of is impossible, jjcote.

The molecules immediately in front of one end, must move 'just' ahead of front panel, and the rear, 'just' behind it. Agreed? The drum is surrounded by a layer of water that does not move w.r.t the oil drum. And so the next layer, and the next...The whole thing is in suspended time. The river may as well be a glacier. What's the difference? A glacier has a direct mechanical attachment to the drum, the water has only friction, and that is velocity dependent.
The water simply cannot move the object unless there is some friction, and so there must be a velocity difference at some level. Depends upon the object.
Now, if you want to continue, please do NOT tell me about flying saucers. Only directly relevant remarks. If you are right, then you can explain the oil drum as as is, no? You may be able to experiment with a model in your bath. (Both meanings of the word, if you are lucky.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"Erdös was unconvinced by the simple decision table but reluctantly accepted that vos Savant was right after Vázsonyi ran a Monte Carlo simulation on his PC."
http://www.vector.org.uk/archive/v231/chance.htm

Very smart guy,
Really. How do you know? I mean, do you have the personal knowledge and understanding to contradict him, were he to be wrong? Or do you just accept that he's known to be "a very smart guy". Make authority in general, a self-dependent phenomenon, don't you think?

got it wrong on his first try, was apparently willing to listen to reason. Unlike some people.
Oh, I should say, that I am the exception? Yes, but he did, so you have to agree that there is a time dependency on authority. Secondly, the author of this paper ( in a rather self-congratulatory way) is only concerned with the appearance and effect of the man. "See even the great get it wrong - so it's cool for me too " However, the conclusion is wrong.
Wikki is the McDonald's cheeseburger of information. It's convenient, easily digested, but not always nourishing.
And you have tertiary education? Shame on you. Time for you to change perhaps?
 
Last edited:
I don't understand your question there, JJcote.
I doubt that there is never a wake for a raft.
[...]
Now, what is different about a raft? What about a half-submerged oil drum?
A bluff object at both ends. That will have a "wake" a both ends at all speeds. The situation you are thinking of is impossible, jjcote.

Wow. OK. I won't argue with that. I assume that in still water, a floating object will have no wake, right? So out in the middle of the Humber ocean, we can tell whether there's a current by putting an oil drum in the water and looking to see whether it has a wake, and we'll also be able to tell the direction of the current, yes?
 
Last edited:
Does this look familiar, humber? We already covered this, and you're the one saying there is no force and trying to make it look like others are doing that. Do you understand?
Why do you think I raised it, Mender? IF I have you correctly, you agree that there is force in one case, but not the other? That is inconsistent.
Perhaps you can reiterate, that so it is clearer, if you do not agree.

Let me assure you as much as I can that I am not tricking you. Just a few months ago, an Indian man stopped me in a hopping centre. I was his pigeon, to tell me a story about my inner-being which he saw through his/my third eye. By the time he departed, I had convinced him that I could read his mind. The startling thing Mender, is how easy that is to do.

The cart: when the thrust from the propeller and the resistance of the wheels turning is balanced, the cart is at a steady speed. Do you then say there is no force?

There is always opposing force for real objects. So yes, there will always be a force to move the cart. Always.
 
Really. How do you know? I mean, do you have the personal knowledge and understanding to contradict him, were he to be wrong? Or do you just accept that he's known to be "a very smart guy".
You're right, I don't know for sure that he was smart. I don't even know for sure that ever really existed, though I do tend to trust the word of my friend Stan the math professor, who unlike me, actually met him. But could I contradict Erdös if he were wrong? Sure. Just like I contradicted Stan when I told him that there was a mistake in the tiles of his shower (without having been told what the pattern was), and he didn't believe me until I pointed out the offending tile. Mathematics is one of the languages that I speak.
 
Yes, all macroscopic masses have a gravitational field.


Actually, what he's referring to is that if the lift were wide enough, you could hang a plumb-bob from each end and measure the difference in the angle at which they hang, or if the lift were high enough you could compare the readings from an accelerometor on the floor and an accelerometor on the ceiling to determine whether or not the lift is accelerating through space or sitting on the ground.

But for a normal sized lift, there would be no measurable difference.
 
OK Brian-M, but how many layers are there to your rather ironic onion?


Only the second sentence was indended as irony. While I do appreciate that you did take the effort to answer, at least partially, some of the questions I asked, I'm not convinced you'll ever provide a clear, concise and complete answer to most of them.


He takes a book and two ordinary torches, and through the magic of his thinking, produces a proof that the speed of light is absolute.


Actually, Einstein already knew that the speed of light was absolute from the famous Michelson-Morley experiments. Einstein based his theories on the assumption that the speed of light was absolute.


Cars have independent power sources, and intelligent drivers, controlling the car so the collision doesn't happen.


You've missed the point. Two objects with the same velocity in the same direction can never collide or pass each-other (regardless of whether or not they're independently powered or intelligently controlled). It's not that a collision between two cars traveling in the same direction at the same velocity doesn't happen, but that it can't happen.

Yet you're telling us that a boat travelling at the same velocity as the water is passing through the water, and that a balloon travelling at the same speed as the air is passing through the air. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Of course, you could bring up the point that wind-speed and water-speed is only an average, and that many molecules in the air or water will be moving slower than average, creating a backwards force on the object passing through it, but in order to maintain the average, this must be balanced out by molecules travelling at faster than average velocity, which creates a forwards force on the object, exactly cancelling out the backward force. As a result, this can be ignored and the wind-speed or water-speed can be treated as if all the molecules were travelling at uniform velocity.


OK. But do you not see how that skateboard question is loaded?

No, I don't see how the skatebord question is loaded, but if you want you can append an explaination to your answer.


A question for you. An objects is falling through the air under gravity, to terminal velocity. It is agreed that the force of gravity and drag balance, so acceleration stops. Do you then say the force is zero?
If I add instruments that tell me the values of the two forces, does that change the situation?
What about say, 1 second before terminal velocity?


I wouldn't say that the force is zero. I would say that the net force is zero. The two forces balance each other out exactly, so the final result is the same as if neither force existed (ie. no accelleration).

No measurement will change things, unless the measuring devices themselves affect the forces involved.


Now, what is different about a raft? What about a half-submerged oil drum?
A bluff object at both ends. That will have a "wake" a both ends at all speeds. The situation you are thinking of is impossible, jjcote.


I assume he's specified a raft to avoid complications that might arise if water-speed a short distance under the surface is different than water-speed near the surface.


The molecules immediately in front of one end, must move 'just' ahead of front panel, and the rear, 'just' behind it. Agreed? The drum is surrounded by a layer of water that does not move w.r.t the oil drum. And so the next layer, and the next...


YES! Now you're getting it.


... The whole thing is in suspended time. The river may as well be a glacier. What's the difference? A glacier has a direct mechanical attachment to the drum, the water has only friction, and that is velocity dependent.
The water simply cannot move the object unless there is some friction, and so there must be a velocity difference at some level. Depends upon the object.


Ah, I spoke too soon.

"the water has only friction, and that is velocity dependent."

And velocity is relative. If there is no relative velocity from between the water and the drum then there is no drag/friction acting on the drum. In other words, the water is applying no force to the drum.

Remember: An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.

With no force acting on the drum, the drum continues to travel at the same velocity indefinetly.

(Well, you could say the water is applying an upward force on the drum, equal to the downward force of gravity which is trying to sink it, but the net result is zero, and so this can be ignored.)
 
You used circumlocution to deny my other tests, all good really.

All of your tests had already been denied by reality.


I thought that whatever the cart was doing, would be acceptable for my skates.

You thought wrong because you don't know what the cart is doing.


There are many other methods of course, because the two winds are quite different,

You've been asked many times to show where they are different. What wind pushing on the cart is different? What wind relative to a fixed point on the surface is different?


... but I thought that the idea of showing that the cart is also actually not moving in any frame, was too good to miss.

By this statement, you show that you know nothing about reference frames.


If there were to be an orange in the glove box, would that qualify? Seems to behave just like a wheel...

If that is your argument it has already been refuted.


They do have average zero differential velocity, not matter how you care to define it. That is why the cart does not move. However, call it what you will, it is not the same in real wind.

You may think you know what you are talking about. But NOBODY else does.


<insults clipped>
 
You're right, I don't know for sure that he was smart. I don't even know for sure that ever really existed, though I do tend to trust the word of my friend Stan the math professor, who unlike me, actually met him. But could I contradict Erdös if he were wrong? Sure. Just like I contradicted Stan when I told him that there was a mistake in the tiles of his shower (without having been told what the pattern was), and he didn't believe me until I pointed out the offending tile. Mathematics is one of the languages that I speak.

Maybe, but your logic is bad. You have given me an example of where you perhaps could argue from authority, but what of the other cases where you do not have that? It is still anecdotal, anyway. I knew that Erdos disagreed, but I did not deny the other solution because of that.
You say that you have mathematical skills, so why do you not use them to deny my argument concerning drag? Perhaps you say that is had been done, but I don't see that it is very powerful.

Also, you do not give any answers to the matter of what happens at waterspeed and the frozen argument. Can you tell me that my conclusion is false? I don't think so.

You say that a parachute will pull a skater to windspeed at zero force.
This suggests to me that there must be very little tension in the rope at windspeed. If I put a small motor on the skates, so that the velocity is slightly faster than windspeed, I expect the rope would slacken. I should be able to cut the rope. Does the motor then have the same power as the parachute, so that I may keep going?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom