• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Darkness in Life.

How very Epicurean.


Although going hungry all day makes plain lettuce taste delicious, I'm not sure if this applies to morality.

And why would one pursue bad morality in order to enjoy the good? Make someone poor so you can feel good giving them food?

How exatly would this work?

"It's only in the face of horror that you truly find your nobler selves. And you can be so noble. So, I'll bring you pain, I'll bring you horror, so that you may rise above it."
 
How was it "unnaturally so"? I'm not questioning your statement, I'm curious about your observations.


Our ups and downs are normally of fairly short duration. If we have a bad day at work, or get treated unfairly somehow, we get grumpy or angry and get it out of our system. This couple, thanks to their constant religious high, didn't seem to acknowledge the low points they experienced (I can only assume they experienced them because they never let on). Their "up" lasted for years, but when their cheery belief turned out to be insufficient against bigger problems that came later, they crashed big time. Their "down" was long and deep, and harder to recover from.
 
How very Epicurean.


Although going hungry all day makes plain lettuce taste delicious, I'm not sure if this applies to morality.

And why would one pursue bad morality in order to enjoy the good? Make someone poor so you can feel good giving them food?

How exatly would this work?

In living our lives, we WILL experience hardships. No one needs to make an effort for that to happen.
The premise is on facing those hardships well, rather than living in denial.
 
Our ups and downs are normally of fairly short duration. If we have a bad day at work, or get treated unfairly somehow, we get grumpy or angry and get it out of our system. This couple, thanks to their constant religious high, didn't seem to acknowledge the low points they experienced (I can only assume they experienced them because they never let on). Their "up" lasted for years, but when their cheery belief turned out to be insufficient against bigger problems that came later, they crashed big time. Their "down" was long and deep, and harder to recover from.

Makes sense. I don't know that I would call it an "unnatural" low, but I'm not certain what a better term would be. Thank you for defining.
 
Makes sense. I don't know that I would call it an "unnatural" low, but I'm not certain what a better term would be. Thank you for defining.

Agreed, that was an excellent and concise description.
 
Darkness is truth, but we are the way. Isn't that the deal?

Especially if we have a flashlight?

We bring light to the darkness, so we can see our way around.
 
Makes sense. I don't know that I would call it an "unnatural" low, but I'm not certain what a better term would be. Thank you for defining.


Yeah, "unnatural" might not be the best term. I called it that because being on a constant high, whether it's from the "opiate of the masses" or actual drugs doesn't seem natural. But I'm open to a better term. :)
 
Yeah, "unnatural" might not be the best term. I called it that because being on a constant high, whether it's from the "opiate of the masses" or actual drugs doesn't seem natural. But I'm open to a better term. :)

Not certain, which is why I caveated my statement with such. :D

Your usage makes sense in the context of your story. They had, I suppose we could say unnaturally, raised their highs too high through their use of religion. When the crash came, it was thus bigger than one would expect in the normal course of things. Unnatural works in this context.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom