• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Darkness in Life.

XxDeadlyNinjaxX

Thinker
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
178
I Believe in order to appreciate the Light in Life there must be Darkness.

I tried to explain this to a friend who by the way is a Christian. And he tells me if I am going to be a Christian I need to Stray from the Darkness rather than Befriend it and Learn to Control it.

I guess My real Question is...Do you Believe I could still be a Christian and Believe that you need Darkness in Life or would I need to Stray from it.

Either way if I cannot Believe in Balance then so be it, I am not a "True Christian" then

Also, what Religions Believe in Balance so I can look into them. I would Research it Myself but as of now I don't have much time left on the Computer.

Anyway, Thanks
 
I Believe in order to appreciate the Light in Life there must be Darkness.

I tried to explain this to a friend who by the way is a Christian. And he tells me if I am going to be a Christian I need to Stray from the Darkness rather than Befriend it and Learn to Control it.

I guess My real Question is...Do you Believe I could still be a Christian and Believe that you need Darkness in Life or would I need to Stray from it.

Either way if I cannot Believe in Balance then so be it, I am not a "True Christian" then

Also, what Religions Believe in Balance so I can look into them. I would Research it Myself but as of now I don't have much time left on the Computer.

Anyway, Thanks

Check out Taoism or Buddhism.

As far as the commentary of darkness... You would need to provide very clear definitions of what you and he mean by the word "darkness."
The word is representative rather than stand alone- especially where religion is concerned.

I can make a strong argument about Darkness.

"Darkness is eternal and absolute truth. Darkness represents truth, because it is what remains when all illusions are stripped away. It is eternal and unending.
It requires no source.
Light, however, like a lie, requires a source. It needs upkeep, maintenance and fuel. A lie also needs these things. To get at the truth, one must first expose and strip away lies. To get at darkness, one must first eliminate light.
You don't need to provide any source for truth. It is what remains.
You don't need a source for darkness- it is what remains."

Now, a religious person would undoubtedly be horrified by such commentary. because their definition of the word darkness includes allusions to the Satanic, demons evil- etc.
They see Light as a cleanser- washing away darkness.
 
Also, what Religions Believe in Balance so I can look into them. I would Research it Myself but as of now I don't have much time left on the Computer.

I can't answer the first, as I'm not a theologian, but I would think your friend is right in regards to being a "good Christian".

Can you define what you mean by "balance", especially how you define the "light" and the "darkness"?

As far as balance, per se, there are no end of New Age religions that go for this. Neo-Paganism and Neo-Druidism come to mind first. I'm not too up on Wiccans

Buddhism and Taoism have a balance between its principle elements.

Zoroastrianism claims that active participation in life is required, but you are to do good acts and think good thoughts.

ETA: I see Neverfly and I are on the same page in regards to definitions. Very key when asking such a question.
 
Ahhh, Well what I mean by Darkness is like....The "Bad" in life. Like Negativity being The Darkness and Positivity being The Light.
 
I Pursue the Bad in Life so I can Reach the Good.

I Believe with Good comes Bad and vice versa.

Not that I am saying I Enjoy the Bad in Life but I Believe it is necessary.
 
Last edited:
What Ninja is saying is pretty basic...

Sometimes you gotta feel hurt to appreciate the times you feel joy.

You gotta know suffering in order to appreciate happiness.

And that's fairly true. Without a perspective to compare with, One cannot be happy if they are ALWAYS happy. In fact... I find always happy people to be annoying:p

And DeadlyNinja, in all reality... You WILL suffer, no matter what faith you ascribe to.
Even the Good Christian experiences suffering and that good christian attributes that suffering as "Gods will" to keep them appreciative of good, to learn lessons in life or whatever other purpose that suffering may serve.

So basically, your friend is simply focusing on the word and not paying attention to your point. Don't pay him much mind.

Now, if you truly want a recommendation for a system that allows you the fullest freedom to understand the world...:
I recommend Science. The scientific method.
 
What Ninja is saying is pretty basic...

Sometimes you gotta feel hurt to appreciate the times you feel joy.

You gotta know suffering in order to appreciate happiness.

This would have been my definition, except he throws me when he says, "Befriend [the darkness] and Learn to Control it." That's vastly different from simply experiencing the ups and downs of a normal life.

And that's fairly true. Without a perspective to compare with, One cannot be happy if they are ALWAYS happy. In fact... I find always happy people to be annoying:p

Curious, how many people have you met who were "ALWAYS happy"?
 
Rob...

A simple way to put it is rather than push the bad away accept it and control it and by control I mean don't go and kill yourself over something bad. learn to take knowledge from it and move on.
 
Rob...

A simple way to put it is rather than push the bad away accept it and control it and by control I mean don't go and kill yourself over something bad. learn to take knowledge from it and move on.

Ahhh, gotcha. Just my reading too much into what you had said. Carry on! Good luck with your search.
 
I like To capitalize Random words in my Sentences Also.

For me, it is not random at all. It's to emphasize certain words.
It's probably a bad habit and some people out there are as annoyed by it as I am annoyed by those who comment on how annoying they find it.
Curious, how many people have you met who were "ALWAYS happy"?
Too many!

Originally Posted by XxDeadlyNinjaxX
A simple way to put it is rather than push the bad away accept it and control it and by control I mean don't go and kill yourself over something bad. learn to take knowledge from it and move on.
Exactly. Most of the people I have ever met try to shelter themselves from negative issues, ignore the issues, hide from them, deny them... etc.

The problem is, that retards the learning process. It's like an ostrich sticking its head into the sand.

Think of relationships. People often behave in odd ways when they are afraid of being hurt. The reason is because they are trying to avoid it.
But, as XxDeadlyNinjaxX implied, it's better to embrace it and understand it so that you can control your situation rather than letting it control you.
 
For me, it is not random at all. It's to emphasize certain words.
It's probably a bad habit and some people out there are as annoyed by it as I am annoyed by those who comment on how annoying they find it.

It's a really bad habit to get into, and one that should be done away with as quickly as possible. Emphasis should be used sparingly, and only proper nouns should be capitalized within a sentence.

Too many!

Fascinating. I've never met anyone who was happy all the time. Perhaps I just bring people down. :jaw-dropp
 
For me, it is not random at all. It's to emphasize certain words.
It's probably a bad habit and some people out there are as annoyed by it as I am annoyed by those who comment on how annoying they find it.

Too many!


Exactly. Most of the people I have ever met try to shelter themselves from negative issues, ignore the issues, hide from them, deny them... etc.

The problem is, that retards the learning process. It's like an ostrich sticking its head into the sand.

Think of relationships. People often behave in odd ways when they are afraid of being hurt. The reason is because they are trying to avoid it.
But, as XxDeadlyNinjaxX implied, it's better to embrace it and understand it so that you can control your situation rather than letting it control you.


XxDeadlyNinjaxX, frankly, I like what Neverfly said.

His language is very clear.

When I was a buddhist, I interpreted buddhism to mean more or less what Neverfly says above.

But in MUCH more mystical terms. I would never use such simple words to say that.

Where am I going to with this? I am hinting that eastern religions might conceal common sense truths in complicated words... So perhaps there is no need to seek relgions - maybe the answers are actually pretty simple, and are common wisdom, if you think for yourself.
 
Exactly! lol

It is hard at first for some but it is a very helpful Technique.

While I understand what you're trying to do, bolding, italics, or underlining are all better techniques, and are universally acceptable. At a stretch, and used sparingly, all caps (though this can be interpreted as yelling on the internet). Your style makes the capitalization appear random, since you use it so often.
 
While I understand what you're trying to do, bolding, italics, or underlining are all better techniques, and are universally acceptable. At a stretch, and used sparingly, all caps (though this can be interpreted as yelling on the internet). Your style makes the capitalization appear random, since you use it so often.

Random capitals is the way to show on the internet that you are starry-eyed :)
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom