RobRoy
Not A Mormon
Can someone please assist me? I'm not certain which translation of The Brothers Karamazov I should get for my Kindle.
Thanks!
Thanks!
The English one. Unless you speak Russian.
The treeware copy I have is Constance Garnett's translation, this would appear to be PD now.Can someone please assist me? I'm not certain which translation of The Brothers Karamazov I should get for my Kindle.
Thanks!
The English one. Unless you speak Russian.
If he is a native chinese speaker I recommend that he spring for the chinese version.
The treeware copy I have is Constance Garnett's translation, this would appear to be PD now.
I don't know what "PD" means in this context.
Well, this one won a PEN/Book of the Month translation prize in 1991, but it's not available for Kindle, unfortunately.
Why must you tease me so?
Ahhh, yes. I wanted to steer clear of that until I knew which version of the book was considered the best translation into English.
Ahhh, yes. I wanted to steer clear of that until I knew which version of the book was considered the best translation into English for the Kindle.
Fixed it.
I had thought the title of the thread, the link in the OP, and the question in the OP would have made that clear. Looks like I've fallen for the classic "assume" blunder!![]()
Hmmm I seem to recall...
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6937518&postcount=331
![]()
Now, if we could just get this thread back on track:
Can someone please assist me? I'm not certain which translation of The Brothers Karamazov I should get for my Kindle.
Well reddit seems to agree, but I haven't compared them; Garnett's is the only one I've read.Well, this one won a PEN/Book of the Month translation prize in 1991, but it's not available for Kindle, unfortunately.
[qimg]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pEeNnjibhD0/TXmz-bv3imI/AAAAAAAAEbM/SUsTcFuDaIw/facepalm_jim_76437.jpg[/qimg]
Should I just restart the thread.
Well, I checked amazon and I wouldn't recommend any of the ones available on kindle right now. Most are the public domain versions of Garnnett, and the couple that aren't don't have linked foot/endnotes. On a large work translated from Russian that means a lot of extra work to get it read because the notes are important to understanding the works. As Geemont said, the Pevears is a really good translation. I went ahead and clicked on the make it kindle for you![]()
Crime and Punishment is better anyway.