• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Texas Republican primary ballot proposal #4

I'm feeling a bit rusty on the subject of high school level civics, but this is blatantly unconstitutional, right? It wouldn't withstand any judicial review, would it?

Whether or not it will survive judicial review isn't the point, and I doubt anyone pushing seriously thinks that it will survive a court challenge.

It's just the usual election-year b.s. It's essentially a way to help Rick Perry win the governorship by getting religious conservatives to turn out to vote in November. And, sadly, I fear it will work, even though he's one of the crappiest governors Texas has ever had.
 
Last edited:
I agree. It would require a woman getting an abortion to undergo a sonogram and be shown the sonogram.

IOW, they want the government to be more involved in healthcare decisions, coming between doctors and patients. So much for limited government.

They're full of crap. The bleat on and on about limited government, until they want to use the power of the government to push their religious beliefs on you, and then it's all about "doing God's work" :rolleyes:
 
It's a statement that there is a party in Texas for which the constitution of the United States of America is not a well-written or well-designed document, but for which that document is based on principles designed to fail.

It's basically a statement that for that party, in that state, the constitution was poorly written and a bad idea.

Except that it isn't.

It would take more political testicles than even the Texas Republicans have to suggest that the Constitution is not a well-designed document, or that even that it should be re-written. The party could write a plank suggesting that the Bill of Rights -- or even the First Amendment -- should be amended. But they'd lose big, precisely because the same nuts who are their primary supporters also de-facto worship "the Constitution" (in the same way they worship the Bible -- blindly and without actual knowledge of its contents).

To see this, you have only to look at the various militia groups to whom these Republicans are pandering and look at how they're talking about the "unconstitutional" acts of the current administration, or how the United States needs to "return to constitutional principles." For real fun and games, look at the Oath Keepers:

Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, veterans, Peace Officers, and Fire Fighters who will fulfill the Oath we swore, with the support of like minded citizens who take an Oath to stand with us, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God. Our Oath is to the Constitution

Our motto is "Not on our watch!"

Oath Keepers was founded by a former Ron Paul staffer (Paul, of course is a Texas policitian) and I believe is also headquartered in Texas; certainly Texas is one of the their larger chapters judging from the testimonial and talk distribution.


One party is stating, with this, that they disagree with those principles.

.... except that they're not.
 
Here's a news article from two days ago that you can start out with. If you're still in denial, there's plenty more out there for you to read.
Hmm, so a creationist lost in a primary race for the State Board of Education. This is evidence that Texas public schools teach every subject with a "strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias"?

Try again.
 
Hmm, so a creationist lost in a primary race for the State Board of Education. This is evidence that Texas public schools teach every subject with a "strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias"?

Try again.

Um you know that he had been in charge of that for rather a long time right?
 
Um you know that he had been in charge of that for rather a long time right?
So it should be easy to find evidence that Texas public schools teach every subject with a "strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias", right?
 
And welcome to captain obvious time:
http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/the-textbook-saga-in-texas-continues/

In other news, water is wet, ice is cold, and Texas is trying to stick Christ in textbooks.
Congrats. You've shown an opinion piece that claims that the creationists on the Texas Board of Education want to introduce creationism in Texas science textbooks. They likely do.

What you have completely failed to do is show even a tiny bit of evidence that Texas public schools teach every subject with a "strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias". I'm not surprised.
 
What you have completely failed to do is show even a tiny bit of evidence that Texas public schools teach every subject with a "strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias". I'm not surprised.
My apologies. They probably don't teach gym class that way.
 
My apologies. They probably don't teach gym class that way.
Is this your way of saying that you have no evidence to back up your claim? Look, I live in Texas. I attended high school here (after attending California schools) and received a BS degree from a Texas public university. I don't recall any of the bias you claim exists. My child goes to public school here, and I'd be peeved if such bias existed in her curriculum. So I'm all for hearing evidence of the extreme bias you claim exists. So far, you've failed to provide any.
 
I don't suppose you have evidence of this?
Has Texas ever attempted to insert bthe teaching of creationism uncritically into the science curiculum? If yes, then that statement is true. They are choosing sides with dogmatic religion (which I would call superstition) over science.
 
Is this your way of saying that you have no evidence to back up your claim? Look, I live in Texas. I attended high school here (after attending California schools) and received a BS degree from a Texas public university. I don't recall any of the bias you claim exists. My child goes to public school here, and I'd be peeved if such bias existed in her curriculum. So I'm all for hearing evidence of the extreme bias you claim exists. So far, you've failed to provide any.

Did you miss the whole creationists running the state board of education then ?
 
Did you miss the whole creationists running the state board of education then ?

I have yet to see any evidence that classroom teachers in Texas are no longer teaching evolution (or casting doubt on it) just because bureaucrats adopted a flawed set of state science standards.
 
Did you miss the whole creationists running the state board of education then ?
No. And that is evidence that, in Texas, every subject is taught "with a strong right-wing, revisionist, pro-Christianity, anti-science bias"?

Mind you, creationists have occupied the White House for over 200 years.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom