• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Stand Your Ground (licence to kill)?

Nice! Ok, so in Illinois, you cannot carry a concealed weapon?

No, it's the last state to disallow private citizens concealed carry under any circumstances.

That I know of.

ETA: Maybe, if you have clout . . . a Chicago Mayor, or alderman, or some sort of politician. Catch what I'm dropping?
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Good post. My position about someone entering a person's home is simply an opinion. I've not tried to disabuse anyone of their position on that.

If there is anyplace a person should be safe and secure it's their home.

Thanks. I try my best to keep an open mind on issues such as these, because I know that some people don't care much for out 2nd Amendment rights, or our right to protect ourselves or someone else with deadly force. My mother is one of them. She personally doesn't like guns, won't allow them in her house, and doesn't want to have anything to do with them. But, that is her opinion, even though I think it is bat guano crazy.


Which is why I don't particularly understand some of the people in this thread chastising you. It's your opinion, and I don't see why people seem to be getting upset and trying to get you to change your views. They're your views. It's not like you're campaigning to have our 2nd Amendment rights absolved. You are stating your opinion.

We don't have to like it, but we damn for skippy better respect your right to voice it.

Cheers!

~Tri
 
No, it's the last state to disallow private citizens concealed carry under any circumstances.

That I know of.

ETA: Maybe, if you have clout . . . a Chicago Mayor, or alderman, or some sort of politician. Catch what I'm dropping?

Wow. I think I would become some elected official just for that reason. Or maybe a correctional officer, something. Holy ****.

That just baffles my mind. I mean, damn.
 
Nice! Ok, so in Illinois, you cannot carry a concealed weapon?


There is no concealed carry allowed here in Illinois, nope. We're trying to avoid all that indiscriminate shooting and wild wild west stuff they have in the other 49 states that do allow concealed carry. Wisconsin was the next to last, and implemented a concealed carry provision in October of last year as I recall.
 
I believe Illinois is the only state that doesn't issue concealed carry permits.

Do they allow for someone who is visiting from another state, who has a CWP?

It just surprises me that any state would say no to CWPs. Does IL. allow for carrying in a vehicle in some fashion?

I don't want to derail too much though.
 
We don't have to like it, but we damn for skippy better respect your right to voice it.

Cheers!

~Tri

That's one of the objectives and missions of this forum. At least I hope so. How could I critically examine my positions (however flawless they be) if I had no dissent?
 
Do they allow for someone who is visiting from another state, who has a CWP?

It just surprises me that any state would say no to CWPs. Does IL. allow for carrying in a vehicle in some fashion?

I don't want to derail too much though.

You mean reciprocity? Good luck!
 
Do they allow for someone who is visiting from another state, who has a CWP?


Nope.

It just surprises me that any state would say no to CWPs. Does IL. allow for carrying in a vehicle in some fashion?


Locked, inaccessible to the driver or passengers, unloaded, with the gun and ammo in separate containers.

I don't want to derail too much though.


You can say "Wow. Holy ****," again, and we'll move on. ;)
 
Last edited:
And RandFan, I don't totally disagree with your premises here. I just don't know of any way to determine the intentions of an uninvited person in my home and my immediate reaction would be in defense of my family.
I missed this. Fair enough.
 
Wow. I think I would become some elected official just for that reason. Or maybe a correctional officer, something. Holy ****.

That just baffles my mind. I mean, damn.

There was a time when you could be an auxiliary Cook County officer and carry concealed and I'm betting you understand what kind of formality that was.
 
Nope.

Locked, inaccessible to the driver or passengers, unloaded, with the gun and ammo in separate containers.

You can say "Wow. Holy ****," again, and we'll move on. ;)

mindblown.gif


That is all.
 
Wow. I think I would become some elected official just for that reason. Or maybe a correctional officer, something. Holy ****.

That just baffles my mind. I mean, damn.
Errr... Richard Heller was a federal security officer, and Otis McDonald a retired engineer, and they had to get the Supreme Court to restore their 14th amendment rights to protect themselves in their own homes.

A right that Rosie o'Donnell, Diane Feinstein, and other wealthy people didn't have to sue to get.

So no, this isn't about property, this is about the same thing it has always been about... keeping as much power as posssible out of the hands of as many as possible.
 
Last edited:
There was a time when you could be an auxiliary Cook County officer and carry concealed and I'm betting you understand what kind of formality that was.
In Memphis up through the 1970s at least, when the sheriff felt that you were 'responsible' (*cough*cough*) enough, you got a card deputizing you, which allowed you to carry anywhere.

That was of course, before all the 'shall issue' and castle doctrine equal rights stuff from 'outside agitators'.
 
I participated in some pretty spirited discussions about the Joe Horn shooting incident, with a clear divide between civilians that like the idea of legal cover allowing them to shoot thieves and other property crime offenders, and cops, who by training and experience are disinclined to use lethal force unless there is no better option.

It is interesting to me to discuss with folks their options in a incident where the possibility exists that they may have to use force against another individual - the less training and knowledge the person I'm speaking with has under their belt, the more inclined they are to use force - up to lethal force - and the less inclined they are to take steps to de-escalate or defuse the situation.

LEO's know that if they use force within their agencies sop and guidelines, and the use of force is upheld by the department's review board and the DA's office, the municipality they're employed by will pick up the tab for his/her defense in the event a civil suit is filed against them.

Unless a civilian resides in a state where there is a legal preemption against civil suits arising out of a use of force incident, they will only be protected by whatever liability insurance they may carry, or their financial health.

If you as a civilian use force (at any level from slight to lethal,) you can count on being on the receiving end of a civil suit.

Here's a pretty good local example:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1999/07/07/MN79118.DTL

The aftermath:

http://overlawyered.com/early-years/march-2001-archives-part-3/#0321a

March 21-22 – Hostage-taker sues victims. “Richard Gable Stevens’ hostage-taking rampage at Santa Clara’s National Shooting Club 18 months ago will cost him the next 50 years of his life behind bars in state prison,” Judge Kevin Murphy ruled earlier this month. “Stevens, 23, was convicted of kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, threats and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 5, 1999 incident. … Murphy questioned the sincerity of Stevens’ remorse, noting that he has filed a lawsuit for monetary damages against the very people he was convicted of having wronged.” (Bill Romano, “Man gets 50 years for rampage at gun club “, San Jose Mercury News, March 10 (search fee-based archive on “Richard Gable Stevens”, retrieval $1.95) The incident ended when Stevens was shot and wounded by one of his intended victims. According to columnist Vin Suprynowicz, police found a note in which Stevens told his parents he would get revenge on them because they would be bankrupted by lawsuits from the survivors of his intended victims (Vin Suprynowicz, “No serial killings this week in Santa Clara”, Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 11, 1999). (DURABLE LINK)

The insurance carrier for the range paid Stevens $5,000.00 out-of-court to settle...

My advice? walk softly, and never put youself into a use of force incident deliberately - Horn lived in a place where his actions had no economic or criminal consequences - others may not be as lucky, even when you're 100% morally and legally justified in your actions.
 
I participated in some pretty spirited discussions about the Joe Horn shooting incident, with a clear divide between civilians that like the idea of legal cover allowing them to shoot thieves and other property crime offenders, and cops, who by training and experience are disinclined to use lethal force unless there is no better option.

It is interesting to me to discuss with folks their options in a incident where the possibility exists that they may have to use force against another individual - the less training and knowledge the person I'm speaking with has under their belt, the more inclined they are to use force - up to lethal force - and the less inclined they are to take steps to de-escalate or defuse the situation.

LEO's know that if they use force within their agencies sop and guidelines, and the use of force is upheld by the department's review board and the DA's office, the municipality they're employed by will pick up the tab for his/her defense in the event a civil suit is filed against them.

Unless a civilian resides in a state where there is a legal preemption against civil suits arising out of a use of force incident, they will only be protected by whatever liability insurance they may carry, or their financial health.

If you as a civilian use force (at any level from slight to lethal,) you can count on being on the receiving end of a civil suit.

Here's a pretty good local example:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1999/07/07/MN79118.DTL

The aftermath:

http://overlawyered.com/early-years/march-2001-archives-part-3/#0321a

March 21-22 – Hostage-taker sues victims. “Richard Gable Stevens’ hostage-taking rampage at Santa Clara’s National Shooting Club 18 months ago will cost him the next 50 years of his life behind bars in state prison,” Judge Kevin Murphy ruled earlier this month. “Stevens, 23, was convicted of kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, threats and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 5, 1999 incident. … Murphy questioned the sincerity of Stevens’ remorse, noting that he has filed a lawsuit for monetary damages against the very people he was convicted of having wronged.” (Bill Romano, “Man gets 50 years for rampage at gun club “, San Jose Mercury News, March 10 (search fee-based archive on “Richard Gable Stevens”, retrieval $1.95) The incident ended when Stevens was shot and wounded by one of his intended victims. According to columnist Vin Suprynowicz, police found a note in which Stevens told his parents he would get revenge on them because they would be bankrupted by lawsuits from the survivors of his intended victims (Vin Suprynowicz, “No serial killings this week in Santa Clara”, Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 11, 1999). (DURABLE LINK)

The insurance carrier for the range paid Stevens $5,000.00 out-of-court to settle...

My advice? walk softly, and never put youself into a use of force incident deliberately - Horn lived in a place where his actions had no economic or criminal consequences - others may not be as lucky, even when you're 100% morally and legally justified in your actions.
Thanks.
 
I participated in some pretty spirited discussions about the Joe Horn shooting incident, with a clear divide between civilians that like the idea of legal cover allowing them to shoot thieves and other property crime offenders, and cops, who by training and experience are disinclined to use lethal force unless there is no better option.

It is interesting to me to discuss with folks their options in a incident where the possibility exists that they may have to use force against another individual - the less training and knowledge the person I'm speaking with has under their belt, the more inclined they are to use force - up to lethal force - and the less inclined they are to take steps to de-escalate or defuse the situation.

LEO's know that if they use force within their agencies sop and guidelines, and the use of force is upheld by the department's review board and the DA's office, the municipality they're employed by will pick up the tab for his/her defense in the event a civil suit is filed against them.

Unless a civilian resides in a state where there is a legal preemption against civil suits arising out of a use of force incident, they will only be protected by whatever liability insurance they may carry, or their financial health.

If you as a civilian use force (at any level from slight to lethal,) you can count on being on the receiving end of a civil suit.

Here's a pretty good local example:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1999/07/07/MN79118.DTL

The aftermath:

http://overlawyered.com/early-years/march-2001-archives-part-3/#0321a

March 21-22 – Hostage-taker sues victims. “Richard Gable Stevens’ hostage-taking rampage at Santa Clara’s National Shooting Club 18 months ago will cost him the next 50 years of his life behind bars in state prison,” Judge Kevin Murphy ruled earlier this month. “Stevens, 23, was convicted of kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, threats and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 5, 1999 incident. … Murphy questioned the sincerity of Stevens’ remorse, noting that he has filed a lawsuit for monetary damages against the very people he was convicted of having wronged.” (Bill Romano, “Man gets 50 years for rampage at gun club “, San Jose Mercury News, March 10 (search fee-based archive on “Richard Gable Stevens”, retrieval $1.95) The incident ended when Stevens was shot and wounded by one of his intended victims. According to columnist Vin Suprynowicz, police found a note in which Stevens told his parents he would get revenge on them because they would be bankrupted by lawsuits from the survivors of his intended victims (Vin Suprynowicz, “No serial killings this week in Santa Clara”, Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 11, 1999). (DURABLE LINK)

The insurance carrier for the range paid Stevens $5,000.00 out-of-court to settle...

My advice? walk softly, and never put youself into a use of force incident deliberately - Horn lived in a place where his actions had no economic or criminal consequences - others may not be as lucky, even when you're 100% morally and legally justified in your actions.
If nobody listens to anything else in this thread, (and there has been some great advice) listen to this.
 
Whoa, looks like a lot of people here are quite emotional about this.

I am personally absolutely against shooting, i.e. killing another human being for property, for inanimate objects. There's insurance for that. The police does quite a good job as well, at least where I live.

Let me state that I live in Germany, where guns are hard to come by. Germany has very strict gun laws. Nevertheless, I have no problems with guns, in fact, I consider myself a gun enthusiast, even though I do not own any "hot" firearms. The subject interests me.

Now. Let's say someone is breaking into your home, you're armed. The burglar has the intention of stealing your property, but you don't know that, so you draw your gun, after calling 911, that is.

You confront the burglar.

There are two possibilities:

1. He is unarmed and backs off, runs away. Problem solved, let the cops handle the rest. Worst case scenario you've lost an inanimate object. Where I live, the police response time is very short, and I don't even live in city. They wouldn't get far.

2. He attacks you, he is armed with a gun or a knife. You have the advantage, you shoot. You've defended yourself.


That is, if you chose confrontation at all.

I really couldn't live with having shot someone because of some thing. "I've killed a person, but I sure defended my TV."

I value a human life above all.


Lots of black and white thinking in this thread.



....
My advice? walk softly, and never put youself into a use of force incident deliberately - Horn lived in a place where his actions had no economic or criminal consequences - others may not be as lucky, even when you're 100% morally and legally justified in your actions.

Agree.
 
Whoa, looks like a lot of people here are quite emotional about this.

I am personally absolutely against shooting, i.e. killing another human being for property, for inanimate objects. There's insurance for that. The police does quite a good job as well, at least where I live.

Let me state that I live in Germany, where guns are hard to come by. Germany has very strict gun laws. Nevertheless, I have no problems with guns, in fact, I consider myself a gun enthusiast, even though I do not own any "hot" firearms. The subject interests me.

Now. Let's say someone is breaking into your home, you're armed. The burglar has the intention of stealing your property, but you don't know that, so you draw your gun, after calling 911, that is.

You confront the burglar.

There are two possibilities:

1. He is unarmed and backs off, runs away. Problem solved, let the cops handle the rest. Worst case scenario you've lost an inanimate object. Where I live, the police response time is very short, and I don't even live in city. They wouldn't get far.

2. He attacks you, he is armed with a gun or a knife. You have the advantage, you shoot. You've defended yourself.


That is, if you chose confrontation at all.

I really couldn't live with having shot someone because of some thing. "I've killed a person, but I sure defended my TV."

I value a human life above all.


Lots of black and white thinking in this thread.





Agree.
Lots of straw too.
 
Indeed. I almost forgot this was a skeptic forum. :boggled:
A couple of posters here have actually said that they would shoot merely to *retain* property.

Anywhere in America, saying that to the cops should earn you a criminal charge... the Supreme Court set the standard for use of deadly force at 'a real and imminent threat of death or great bodily harm'.

Several posters have pointed out the clear distinction between shooting someone *on* your property as a threat to life and limb, and shooting someone *over* property.

And some other posters (not yourself) have taken the 'property isn't worth a life' meme and used it to spin straw that anyone who chooses to defend their life and limb is a Dirty Harry gleefully killing people over petty thefts.

The reality isn't so black and white.

Some people can shift gears from a property crime to a violent crime without a moment's hesitation.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom