The total I actually pay in income tax alone works out at 17.4% of my gross income for a typical month. I pay another 9% in "National Insurance", which is compulsory, but which is specifically designed to fund the state retirement pension. If I haven't paid these contributions for a full 30 years (for any reason at all) then I am not entitled to the full level of state retirement pension.
I mention the NI contributions because there is some suspicion that the government treats it all like general taxation, and the existence of this element does bring the total tax I pay up to 26.4% of my gross income. However, I will get the full retirement pension in due course to supplement my private pension, so it's a bit moot whether the extra 9% should be counted as "tax" for present purposes.
I should point out that I have no dependents and no extra tax allowances over and above the basic "personal allowance" that every one is entitled to make before tax liability kicks in.
There are also local property taxes (but they don't go towards healthcare), and a purchase tax set at 15%, and various other taxes, but I don't get the impression that these are markedly higher than they are in the USA either. And healthcare is mainly funded from income tax.
For this I get, in healthcare benefits, the following I mentioned in another thread.
- No maximum lifetime ceiling on coverage.
- No co-pay apart from a small (£5) prescription tax.
- No restrictions or exclusions due to pre-existing conditions.
- Access to the highest-tech cutting-edge interventions if needed.
- No need to consider healthcare coverage when changing jobs or leaving the workforce.
- Freedom to choose and change doctor at will (though if I do want to change my GP he might be a bit cross because he'll lose money as a result).
- Freedom to choose any suitable NHS facility for hospital outpatient or inpatient treatment.
- Contributions are at their maximum when I can most afford them (that is, when I have a high income) and taper off when I can't afford them, without loss of cover.
- Specified entitlements as regards waiting times and availability of treatments.
- No-cost participation in population-wide health screening programmes.
This is of course in addition to all the other things I get which are funded from taxation, from the fire brigade to public parks to the roads I drive on.
But no. It's COMMUNISM!!! (Do we have a smilie for the sign against the Evil Eye?) You want no part in it!
Rolfe.