• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

September Stundie Nominations

I have no idea what this means, but dammit, it deserves some kind of award:

EldonG said:
Bye the way, when the Pope declares that he is vicar of the Jesus Christ, he is telling you that he is the vicarious or Earthly presence of the 'Greased Pig'. Thus, the 'Greased Pig' is the god of the Vatican, and the symbol of that is the 'peter', the giant penis that stands in the vagina in the middle of the square that is blessed every morning by the Pope.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=6357745#post6357745
 
Eldon is working overtime in his breif periods between suspensions:


Whups. Missed this gem the first time around.

So the 'Red Robed Priests of Isis' ruled Egypt starting in 11,500BCE?

That's really interesting, considering that we have no evidence whatsoever of any long-term human habitation earlier than 8,000 BCE. The earliest Egyptian agricultural settlements known date from only about 5200 BCE. Before that, we have evidence of neolithic hunter-gatherers dating back another three thousand years or so, which still leaves your Priests of Fashion hanging for more than 3,000 years.

Of course, since Isis herself only dates back (as far as we can tell) to the Fifth Dynasty (2494 to 2345 BC), a rational human being would conclude that the Neolithic tribes were not ruled by priests of a goddess who wouldn't be invented for five thousand years.

But I'm sure you'd not going to let multi-thousand-year anachronisms stop you. After all, the idea that a group of priests would worship a goddess who wouldn't be invented for five thousand years is, by your standards, rather credible.

At least in comparison to the rest of your "ideas."

Well, if that is what you believe, who am I to argue with beliefs. Bye the way, I've got some good mountain property in Florida that I am selling cheap, and some ocean front property in Saskatchewan at give away prices. Any interest?




Comparing a well-sourced discussion of the actual history of Egyptian gods to buying "mountain property in Florida" or "ocean front property in Saskatchewan". That's some kind of Stundie!
 
It's hard to pick out just one part of this, though I think the assertion that Don't Ask Don't Tell has nothing to do with gay rights probably takes the biscuit. Bill Thompson must be using a JCB to dig the hole he's in now.

I nominate Bill Thompson for the following post:
I never thought I had the RIGHT to enlist in the military. On the other hand, I always felt that the military had the RIGHT to deny me enlistment. This is just one of many reasons why DADT is not a gay rights issue.

I compiled a list of the addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and fax numbers of every senator in the United States Senate. I presented my case in the best well-written letter I could manage. I added a few more arguments that I have not presented here or anywhere else. One was the fact that the United States culture is one that is obsessed with law suits and it is conceivable that, in combat there is potential for a law suit to be filed against a commanding officer simply because sexual orientation is suddenly part of the equation. Was someone considered for a dangerous mission because of his or her sexual orientation? Was someone passed over for a dangerous mission because of his or her sexual orientation? Picking someone at random is no longer an option. This would not be an issue in other countries because other countries are not as law-suit obsessed as the United States.

It took a while but I contacted every United States senator. Family members who read my letter said it was well-written and convincing.

I am not saying that my actions played any role in the Senate refusing to strike down DADT. But I am not saying that it had nothing to do with it.

No one, that I know of, has had the courage to step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is if they disagree with me. I did a little experiment. If you are really sure I am wrong, how about one dollar to post your opinion where the senators can read what you have to say? No one did. No one did because when money -- even one dollar -- is put into the equation, it give people pause and a moment to reconsider their actions. Posting a comment online, here, is cheap and easy. So emotions run amuck. And people are free to associate DADT with gay rights without thinking they might be wrong.

A head hunter in Seattle (employment agent, for all you non-yanks) said I should charge more, like 3.99, otherwise people will think it is a scam. It is not a scam. You can sign up, make your post and then you can even go into the dash board of your account and cancel the membership. If I wanted, I could charge one dollar per post instead of a membership. But THAT, I think actually would be a kind of scam.

Anyway, this discussion forum, here, I think, on the randi forum is just for fun. Where the rubber meets the road, is my blog where the policy makers have been told they can go and read what makes sense. If you are sure of yourself, you will make a post there. I think you are not sure of yourself. You are just voicing an opinion to be part masses for the sake of popularity.

Bill Thompson - 1
Lady Gaga - 0
 
In reading this ("I am not saying that my actions played any role in the Senate refusing to strike down DADT. But I am not saying that it had nothing to do with it.") , I was reminded of Charles Guiteau, who thought that a poorly written speech he gave twice, and passed out to people at a Republican Party meeting, was responsible for Garfield's election in 1880.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Guiteau (I know, Wikipedia, but it's a pretty good summary)
 
It's not often you see a new variant on a logical fallacy in the wild, so Java Man deserves some recognition for coming up with a converse variant on affirming the consequent.

Thus, Didn't sound like a Bomb does not equal "Was not a Bomb"

So you've pretty much single handedly debunked the debunker's "no bomb" argument.

So, because things don't sound like bombs, that proves that they are bombs.

Dave
 
It's not often you see a new variant on a logical fallacy in the wild, so Java Man deserves some recognition for coming up with a converse variant on affirming the consequent.



So, because things don't sound like bombs, that proves that they are bombs.

Dave


dammit, you beat me to it. :D
 
Re-search is not my cup of tea. Especially not when the information is so confused. Take interior box columns for instance. Seems to me to be some kind of hoax term, conspiracy theory bait. Very little information on the Web about it, and that which I found didn't make it much clearer. Who comes up with crap like that?

You know, I do have some sympathy for this opinion. :boxedin:

It's similar to the one I had when I did my first 'Design of Structural Elements' course, I mean, Radius of Gyration, Elastic and Plastic Modulus, and Second Moment of Area in cm^4 even! I have to admit, I wasn't much the wiser afterwards, but I did at least recognise they were actual properties used in actual design.

With Mr. Lindman I just have a vision of someone resembling Grizzly Bear's avatar sat in front of a screen screaming "cm^4...what is that...what does it even mean?" :boggled:
 
Elizabeth I - no link?

This is stellar, from a new member. We can't "rule out" controlled demolition of one of the World Trade Center towers on 9/11 because it is just not possible.
you guys would have to be pretty biased to the original story if you can entirely rule out controlled demolition because it is just not possible
 
He's set up a website where you have to pay to make comments; this apparently adds worth to what you say.

So, we have to pay him to say something? Or does the money go to a charity, like the "Keep the Gays the **** Away From Me" fund?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom