• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
Never been a huge fan of the extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence mantra. It seems to me that it should just be claims require evidence.
Several years ago during the time it was actually being played out, I had a secret but irrepressible fascination with the goings on in a thread here on the JREF that debated the exact meaning of that famous mantra. That OP's premise was exactly yours. It was a fascinating read (to me) because the OP literally dominated in every way (intellectually, rationally, logically, reasonably, courteously) pretty much the rest of forum in a thread that went on 4,450 posts. At times he even used the forum's own patented semantic BS on itself better than it had ever used it before. I followed it daily and never made a single post myself. He was doing such a good job alone. In fact, such a good job it was that he somehow earned the wrath of the mods and was indefinitely "suspended" for, seriously, some obscure infraction related to his real name (or something similar). That's it. The guy was a freak to be sure, but fascinating nonetheless.

P.S. I'm sure there's some who might disagree with my assessment, but please don't worry because I couldn't care less. I watched it all and know exactly what happened.
 
Well certainly if someone FOUND a 15' bipedal primate, it's really not that extraordinary any more.

The claims of Platypus were considered extraordinary even after one was shipped to Europe, but I think once one is collected these days, it would be fairly easy to get several expert opinions on it at the same time through technology.
..

WRT to the Bigfoot's size being extraordinary, I think that the idea of such a large creature going undiscovered is extraordinary, and I think the idea of a 15' Bipedal primate is extraordinary. Especially one that is claimed to be an aggressive, fast predator at times, that dwells in mountains and trees, I think there is a limit on leverage and speed with longer bipedal bones and tendons. I think that humans would have killed or engulfed any race of 10-15 foot non-tool making primates in an evolutionary blink-of-an-eye.
 
Drewbot said:
I think that the idea of such a large creature going undiscovered is extraordinary,
It's not extraordinary. It's impossible.

I think there is a limit on leverage and speed with longer bipedal bones and tendons.
If it's short bursts of speed it wouldn't be too bad--humans are capable of sprinting, after all. I'd expect a more digitigrade stance if it were primarily a runner, though. Running organisms seem to nearly universally stand on their toes.

I think that humans would have killed or engulfed any race of 10-15 foot non-tool making primates in an evolutionary blink-of-an-eye.
We haven't finished off the silverbacks yet.
 
Several years ago during the time it was actually being played out, I had a secret but irrepressible fascination with the goings on in a thread here on the JREF that debated the exact meaning of that famous mantra. That OP's premise was exactly yours. It was a fascinating read (to me) because the OP literally dominated in every way (intellectually, rationally, logically, reasonably, courteously) pretty much the rest of forum in a thread that went on 4,450 posts. At times he even used the forum's own patented semantic BS on itself better than it had ever used it before. I followed it daily and never made a single post myself. He was doing such a good job alone. In fact, such a good job it was that he somehow earned the wrath of the mods and was indefinitely "suspended" for, seriously, some obscure infraction related to his real name (or something similar). That's it. The guy was a freak to be sure, but fascinating nonetheless.

P.S. I'm sure there's some who might disagree with my assessment, but please don't worry because I couldn't care less. I watched it all and know exactly what happened.

That thread was well before my time here. I'll read it, though, and I thank you for the link.

All I meant is that the statement claims require evidence holds true not matter what adjectives are added be they truly descriptive or generally agreed upon or not. So why not just say claims require evidence? Will that not be true in any case?

For example you can say extraordinary claims require evidence. The claim can be generally agreed upon to be extraordinary, like a 100 foot tall ape. Such a claim, while extraordinary, still requires evidence--extraordinary or not. Or you could say extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and simply be adding words around the essential truth which is that claims require evidence. No?
 
The evidence that people will accept varies greatly. That's why we have believers and sceptics and fence-sitters.

It's a pointless argument, imo.

I don't care if you don't agree that a bigfoot hand would be extraordinary, I am the one deciding whether or not I believe in bigfoot.

I don't really care if an odd looking footprint causes you to spend a good chunk of your life in the woods imagining that things are being thrown at you by 8' tall apes.

It's your life. :)

Are bigfoot tracks extraordinary? How can they be ordinary? :D

If bigfoot is impossible, how can good evidence of one be called ordinary? :D
 
LTC8K6 said:
I don't care if you don't agree that a bigfoot hand would be extraordinary, I am the one deciding whether or not I believe in bigfoot.
As I said, "extraordinary" is subjective--which makes it useless.

Whether bigfoot exists or not is objective, however--and the utter lack of evidence is proof that it doesn't exist.

If bigfoot is impossible, how can good evidence of one be called ordinary?
Evidence supporting the existence of bigfoot would have to comply with the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. The obligatory cannot be extraordinary--it's required, and therefore the norm.
 
Ungulates tend to be digitigrade and adapted for cursorial locomotion. In other words, 4-legged mammals with hooves walk on their toes and their limbs are adapted for running. That body type doesn't work as well as body weight increases. A rhinoceros doesn't work with the slender legs of a horse. The biggest deer or cattle can be supported on their frames up to about a ton and a half, but they generally don't get bigger than that (except for unusually large individuals; I'm talking about species here).

For ungulates in that size range with adult weights that average over, say, 4000 lbs, we see a decided change in body type from cursorial (running) limbs to graviportal (weight-bearing limbs). Yes, many mammals were huge in Pleistocene, but the ones that were rhino-sized and bigger were graviportal in body design. Elephants, brontotheres, Indricotherium - all were graviportal with limbs basically formed like pillars that extended straight down from the central axis of the body. These are not animals that jump very well (if at all) and I don't even think they're capable of galloping. This is why elephants have that cool, gliding locomotion.

My premise is that there's a limit on weight for a Homo-shaped body - again, for a population or species: an individual, morbidly obese, 1000 lb human doesn't count. Beyond that limit, we shouldn't expect something that moves the way bigfoots are supposed to move, which is just like us only way faster and more agile. The body would be modified either to not be bipedal at all or to have some kind of bottom-heavy graviportal development appropriate for a biped.

Dinwar, you're now on record that 100' is that rhetorical limit for you; I just think there's an uncrossable threshold of bipedalism that's quite a bit smaller than that!
 
Evidence supporting the existence of bigfoot would have to comply with the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. The obligatory cannot be extraordinary--it's required, and therefore the norm.

I don't require such compliance. :)

If the PGF was actually a film of bigfoot, would it qualify?
Would it be extraordinary?
 
...snip...
My premise is that there's a limit on weight for a Homo-shaped body - again, for a population or species: an individual, morbidly obese, 1000 lb human doesn't count. Beyond that limit, we shouldn't expect something that moves the way bigfoots are supposed to move, which is just like us only way faster and more agile. The body would be modified either to not be bipedal at all or to have some kind of bottom-heavy graviportal development appropriate for a biped.
...snip...

There's a way to advance on this. Not a definitive answer, but may contribute. There are papers were maximum theorethical size for suropods was determined using engineering software. A digital model of a sauropod skeleton and some parameters on the bones and the body (don't ask wich ones- I don't know the answer) were used and bone stress due to weight was calculated for several sizes, untill the bone would be too close for comfort to breaking due to the weight. Repeat the proceedure with a human skeleton and see how large it can become. Sure, this will only provide data on bone, not soft tissues. If human bone structure can be increased, say, to 4m-high and still be within its "safety levels", we still will have no idea how organs will behave. Will the heart be able to pump blood? The lungs will not collapse? Muscles will be able to carry all this weight?

Shrike, would you happen to have some contacts on your uni which may help on this? At mine's, I bet 10000 quatloos the vertebrate paleontology folks are not dealing with this. I can ask, but I guess I know the answer.
 
To be clear: I AM NOT saying that I believe bigfoot exists. I am merely saying that if a 15' bipedal primate were to be found, it wouldn't be terribly shocking to me. Compared to many of the things biologists and paleontologists have found, this doesn't even rank as particularly surprising. We're talking about fields that include organisms that live entirely within rock, ones with skeletons that generate eddy currents, colonial organisms that can go for a stroll, and ones so weird we still don't know how they functioned. Compared to those, mere enlargement is hardly shocking.

It is my opinion that the only reason claims about bigfoot's size, among several other attributes, are considered extraordinary merely because they're associated with bigfoot. Large differences in size are not unheard of in the fossil record. A 15' bigfoot is only double the size of a human, roughly. That's hardly a remarkable size difference.

Now, if you were talking a 100' ape, that'd be different. But 8' is certainly not remarkable, and 15' is a bit larger than I'd expect but not outside the realm of the possible.

In fact, Nature imposes a fundamental stature-cap: Mammals in general load their bones to about a quarter of their breaking strength during routine activities. If you doubled height, bone cross-sectional area would increase fourfold (radius squared), while weight (volume) increases eightfold (2 x 2 x 2)! Our bones would be overloaded, and breaks would be commonplace.

Bad as this sounds, things would actually be even worse, says LaBarbera: 12-foot-tall humans would be prone to collapsed arches, bad knees and excruciating back problems; 18-foot tall humans would be immobilized.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/976636/Human-height-has-its-limits.html?pg=all
 
I don't require such compliance. :)

If the PGF was actually a film of bigfoot, would it qualify?
Would it be extraordinary?

Compliance isn't optional--it's the rules. To not comply is like playing chess and having a knight move in a straight line.

If the PG film were actually of a sasquatch, it would not comply with the requirements of the ICOZN, at least, not as I understand the rules. The film IS NOT a type specimen, as it cannot be independently examined (any examination would presume that the film is true, in other words).

As for extraordinary, there is no way to determine this. It is ot more than three standard deviations from the mean (or the subjective equivalent thereof), so it wouldn't qualify as extraordinary by my standards--but my standards have been rejected, so you'll have to ask someone else if it's extraordinary.
 
As for extraordinary, there is no way to determine this. It is ot more than three standard deviations from the mean (or the subjective equivalent thereof), so it wouldn't qualify as extraordinary by my standards--but my standards have been rejected, so you'll have to ask someone else if it's extraordinary.

How is having a different standard of my own, "rejecting" your standard?

I'm not a scientist of any sort, nor do I represent any. Why does my standard concern anyone other than me?
 
For what it's worth, the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" statement is a chiasm.

A chiasm is like poetry, in this case with the form ABAC. Extraordinary (A) Claims (B) Extraordinary (A) Evidence (C). Because it takes advantage of an underlying "Claims require evidence" maxim, this is a particularly dangerous chiasm for a skeptic to fall into defending.

Chiasms appeal to the mind in the same way a song or a poem does because of the pleasing symmetry. The most powerful form is ABBA, eg "control your weiner before your weiner controls you". Preachers love to use chiasms. You can make gibberish seem like gravitas with chiasms.

Kennedy gave maybe the most famous ABBA example with "ask not what your country can do for you..." statement, but it is a false dichotomy and stupid on the face of it insofar as a public policy metric.

We get caught up in defending chiasms for the wrong reasons - namely that they rhyme and not because they are logically valid.
 
For what it's worth, the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" statement is a chiasm.

A chiasm is like poetry, in this case with the form ABAC. Extraordinary (A) Claims (B) Extraordinary (A) Evidence (C). Because it takes advantage of an underlying "Claims require evidence" maxim, this is a particularly dangerous chiasm for a skeptic to fall into defending.

Chiasms appeal to the mind in the same way a song or a poem does because of the pleasing symmetry. The most powerful form is ABBA, eg "control your weiner before your weiner controls you". Preachers love to use chiasms. You can make gibberish seem like gravitas with chiasms.

Kennedy gave maybe the most famous ABBA example with "ask not what your country can do for you..." statement, but it is a false dichotomy and stupid on the face of it insofar as a public policy metric.

We get caught up in defending chiasms for the wrong reasons - namely that they rhyme and not because they are logically valid.

I think you're right in many instances, but I have always read the statement a bit differently, to mean that the ordinariness of ordinary events lessens the need for corroboration in the "per-event" sense. If I say I saw a cat walking across the yard this morning, not only would the importance of the event itself be small, but we already know that cats exist, so I do not have to prove that there is such a creature, and that cats often walk across yards, an everyday event, likely to be true but also harmless if untrue. If I said I saw a catawampus crossing my yard, both the importance of the event and the questionable existence of the creature would change the rules for believing it.

In a sense, the evidence for the catawampus would need to be no more extraordinary than the evidence for the cat, but the evidence for the cat has already occurred countless times., and I need not provide it in this instance. When you report a catawampus you must start from scratch.
 
When someone can offer me an objective division between "ordinary" and "extraordinary" in terms of claims or evidence, I'll accept that that pithy saying has some epistemological validity. Until then, however, I see no reason to use it as a metric for evaluating anything.

Logic and reason are not about pithy sayings; they are about rational thought based on hard, objective facts. Saying such as the above are a crutch, one that should be abandoned. Interpretations and arguments must be supported by evidence and non-contradictory logic; this is true whether a claim is "ordinary" or "extraordinary". Once you accept that, the distinctions lose all importance.

What's extraordinary about it?

People have claimed, in full seriousness and in educated societies, that particles can be in two places at once. People have claimed at least twice that I know of that what we thought were separate species were in fact components of a single entity. I have personally held in my hand the remains of an organism so weird that after a full century of studying them we have only just begun to understand their anatomy, and haven't the faintest grasp of their ecology. A colony of huge bipedal apes, unknown to science, living in Oklahoma is far less radical than ANY of those claims--or many more that are considered routine by today's scientists.

The reason to reject the claim about bigfoot--the only honest one--is that the evidence (the requirements for which are outlined in the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature) doesn't support it. Declare it extraordinary all you want--that doesn't change a single aspect of the argument, except to introduce an unnecessary emotional element into it.

Never said they weren't. However, you are failing to differentiate between data and evaluations. That they saw something is data. That they saw a large brown shape may also be data (though poor data, due to the subjective nature of both descriptors [look up Munsel's history or blacksmithing advice to see how subjective color can be]). "I saw bigfoot" is an interpretation, NOT evidence.

That has nothing to do with the lack of objective division between "ordinary" and "extraordinary" in terms of evidence or claims. My objection to your "explanations" is that they're Just So Stories--they are plausible-sounding stories you made up that don't contradict anything, but which are completely devoid of supporting data themselves. They are exactly as well-supported as "I saw bigfoot". And thus, they are exactly as wrong.

You seem quite intent on springing some sort of rhetorical trap on me. I'm sorry, but it won't work. I'm not saying that bigfoot sightings are plausible--I have given extensive reasons why they are not, in fact. What I am saying is that your explanations are unevidenced Just So Stories and therefore can--and should--be dismissed without further consideration until such time as you can provide evidence for them. I have used the phrase "Just So Stories" multiple times in this post for a reason: they are a particularly virulent petulance in science, one that any researcher should make themselves well aware of.

The problem is, humans stop looking once we have a plausible answer to a question. And unfortunately, that means that we'll often stop looking well before we discover the truth. If you merely wish to mock and belittle those who disagree with you, that's fine--the actual truth of the matter is irrelevant to such people (and yes, such people even exist within the skeptics community). If you're after the truth, however, such errors are devastating, and are to be avoided if at all possible. Look at the history of our understanding of tetrapod digits to see just how powerful and dangerous Just So Stories are. And you're walking into exactly that same trap--all the while claiming it's in the interest of reason!

~shrug~ If you want to ignore the history of science and the lessons it teaches, go right ahead. I have no respect for anyone who would do that, however. Skepticism is supposed to be about basing one's opinions on the available data--and in this, you are completely abandoning the data in favor of some feel-good fluff, in precisely the same manner as the worst wooster.

My apology for this late reply.

I have two concerns with your comments. First, in the context of cryptozoology, your disuse of the term “extraordinary.” Second, your insistence that skeptical explanations for cryptid sightings, without hard evidence, are versions of “woo.”

I’ll explain my concerns by employing the following example. Look at the famous William Roe sighting, an account that Green and Sanderson relied upon to make their initial case for the existence of the sasquatch, and the account that Daniel Loxton has recently stated was the first “modern” Bigfoot sighting. Here is the sworn affidavit by William Roe for anyone not familiar with it:
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/roe.htm

The skeptical response to Roe’s story is that it is “unevidenced” (as you would put it.) Other skeptical rejoinders would note that eyewitness testimony is anecdotal and is a weakened form of evidence because of the possibility of dishonesty; the possibility of misperception or expectant anticipation coloring the event; the fact that eyewitness accounts are rooted in imperfect memory and not like exact videotape replays, etc.

These are good reasons to explain why we are not obliged to accept Roe’s account.

Here comes the rub: are we also obliged NOT to accept Roe’s account? Sure, it is unevidenced. Yes, eyewitness testimony has its faults. But, is there something about Roe’s story specifically that makes it false? After all, if he came back with a moose sighting story, we would probably believe him, without collaborating evidence.

Someone might say Roe’s story is false because we have no good evidence for such a creature: we have no specimen; we have nothing like it in the North American fossil record; creatures like it have been reported in populated areas where its detection (and capture) would be a virtual certainty; its story seems like folklore, a cultural meme more than a wildlife fact; etc., etc.

The critic is basically saying Roe’s story cannot be true because of the following reasons…. (such as given above.) It follows that IF Roe’s story IS true, then, it is extraordinary because the story ought not to be true, based on what we know (or think we know) about the world. This is what extraordinary means, at least, in the context of cryptozoology.

You point out that scientific concepts (the idea “that particles can be in two places at once”) or specifically biological questions (what constitutes a “species,“ “weird’” organisms we know exist but that are not fully explicable yet) are more radical concepts, more extraordinary, if you will, than the idea of giant, bipedal, apes, unknown to science, native to Oklahoma. Put that way, you’re right.

But, you say, “The reason to reject the claim about Bigfoot -- the only honest one --is that the evidence (the requirements for which are outlined in the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature) doesn’t support it.” If the evidence doesn’t support the belief that Bigfoot exist, then the claim it does exist is an extraordinary claim -- if it is true.

So, while I think claims for Bigfoot are extraordinary, I will agree with The Shrike: “… the evidence required to prove Bigfoot would be decidedly ordinary: a piece of a Bigfoot would be the same standard applied to the description of any species.” And I go along with Drewbot; “I agree however that we should modify the saying in question to : ‘An Extraordinary Claim requires Ordinary Evidence.’”

What about skeptical explanatory scenarios as “Just So Stories?” By your reckoning, if I argue, as I have, that the Ruby Creek sighting was a bear, then I have created a fiction every bit as erroneous as the sighting itself as a sasquatch account. See somewhere upstream on this thread for the Ruby Creek incident, and here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270486&highlight=bear+bigfoot&page=2

Since we are dealing with reports that are not repeatable, singular, and historical, we should not expect explanations based on hard evidence. By the very nature of sighting stories, the best we can do is offer possible solutions that take into account what we know about eyewitness testimony generally and about the events themselves. If we call every reasoned argument that cannot be proven concretely, Just-So-Stories, then a lot of what we think science supports would vanish (as science itself, it its deeper waters, is more provisional than certain.) And the provisional nature of such skeptical explanations for cryptid sightings separates them from the certitude of “woo-dom.”

If we say that William Roe lied in his affidavit and did not see what he swore he saw, are we really committing a fiction co-equal to Roe’s story itself? As you are on record as saying the existence of Bigfoot is “impossible,” then you discount his affidavit. So, why did he swear to his story? In your view, if you give an explanation at all to that question, are you committing a woefully “wooful” Just So Story, since any explanation would be just as unevidenced as saying he saw a space alien? There is something wrong in that approach, methinks.

This is another difference in my view and yours: you see nothing to explain in Roe’s story. It is false based on the fact that such a large land animal could not exist all this time and not be verified physically and through the fossil record. For you, end of story. Nothing to see here, ladies and gentlemen. For me, the Roe account, like the Ruby Creek story, still needs an explanation, theoretically.

You write, “The problem is, humans stop looking once we have a plausible answer to a question. And unfortunately, that means that we’ll often stop looking well before we discover the truth.” I would submit, with all due respect, that you have it upside down in our dispute. I am the one that thinks cases like Roe and Ruby Creek should be evaluated and explanations, however tentative, should be explored. How does examining Bigfoot (or other cryptids) stories to see what is provisionally plausible or possible in explanation turn into a “stop looking” exercise, while closing the book, because Bigfoot is “impossible,” helps us understand the Bigfoot phenomenon, Bigfoot sightings, and the human element that gives us such phenomena?
 
For what it's worth, the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" statement is a chiasm.

A chiasm is like poetry, in this case with the form ABAC. Extraordinary (A) Claims (B) Extraordinary (A) Evidence (C). Because it takes advantage of an underlying "Claims require evidence" maxim, this is a particularly dangerous chiasm for a skeptic to fall into defending.

Chiasms appeal to the mind in the same way a song or a poem does because of the pleasing symmetry. The most powerful form is ABBA, eg "control your weiner before your weiner controls you". Preachers love to use chiasms. You can make gibberish seem like gravitas with chiasms.

Kennedy gave maybe the most famous ABBA example with "ask not what your country can do for you..." statement, but it is a false dichotomy and stupid on the face of it insofar as a public policy metric.

We get caught up in defending chiasms for the wrong reasons - namely that they rhyme and not because they are logically valid.
Well, I just learned "Dancing Queen" besides being an earworm is also a chiasm...:p

There's a huge thread on the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" rule-of-thumb, created by Roger Ramjets. The thread in question, as well as a number of similar discussions which happened around the fora, is actually a scheme, a deception, a trap set up by a proponent of some fringe subject. The ultimate goal is to force skeptics to accept substandard evidence -anecdotes- to back some sort of woo. UFOs as aliens from beyond the borders of what we call nature, in Roger Ramjet's case.

Sagan's slogan, case in point, must be seen within its original context, the whole argument. Extracted, isolated from it, it can become problematic. Sure, a piece of metal is a piece of metal and one could say its a rather ordinary thing. But if its a piece of metal from an alien spacecraft... Well, at least untill visiting alien spaceships become a routine, it will be special, rare, extraordinary. It takes some mental contortions to get around this. Same is valid regarding a (real) cryptid body. Yes, one could argue its just a specimen, but given the context, it would be an extraordinary piece of evidence.

In some cases, skeptics must be careful when discussing this sort of thing to avoid falling in to traps.
 
Some people just like to interpret things overly literally. I mean, the phrase "when you assume, you make an ass out of U and me" makes no freakin' sense whatsoever, but most reasonable people have no problem understanding what it means. Those who insist that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" makes no sense seem to me to have a remarkable skill at missing the point completely.

I'm sure they're nearly as much fun at parties as the guy who answers "yes" when asked if he wants beer or wine.
 
xtifr said:
I'm sure they're nearly as much fun at parties as the guy who answers "yes" when asked if he wants beer or wine.
Actually, I'm quite fun at parties. I differentiate between taxonomy and socialization. Plus, you'd be surprised how many pedants and nit-pickers are heavy drinkers. Every sedimentologist and every stratigrapher I've met has been both.

Those who insist that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" makes no sense seem to me to have a remarkable skill at missing the point completely.
No, I get the point--the more extreme and unevidenced the claim, the greater the burden of proof on the person making the claim. The thing is, there are flaws in it. For example, you need to know what's ordinary in order to determine what's extraordinary--and most people suck at it. Large size variations in clades simply isn't extraordinary, even if those clades are mammals, for example. It may appear to be extraordinary to people unfamiliar with taxonomy or paleontology, but to those of us who are, it's about as extraordinary as extreme sexual dimorphism or transitions from carnivory to herbivory within a clade--in other words, it's "Huh, so it happens here too". Odd, and certainly noteworthy, but not in any way extraordinary.

I also think people underestimate the amount of questioning "ordinary" claims go through, which is causing them to underestimate just how far you have to go in order to get something extraordinary. An ordinary run-of-the-mill task for a biologist is naming a new species. To do so requires a great deal more effort than most here realize. Simply describing the specimen is a huge task (the description is often bigger than the animal in question). Then you have to compare it against other similar species, which means spending a few weeks looking under microscopes, at sample specimens, and reading species descriptions. Then you have to publish your work (if it's not published, it generally doesn't count--I know of only one case where unpublished work was accepted, and that was because the guy died before he could publish it and the rest of the field--and I mean EVERYONE in that field at the time--agreed to give him a pass), and everyone and their brother gets to question it.

Bigfoot isn't a case of an extraordinary claim not being supported by extraordinary evidence. Bigfoot believers have light-years to go before they rise to the level of having ordinary, mundane, workaday evidence. They don't fail because they make a spectacular claim but can't provide spectacular data to support it; they fail because they can't even provide standard and unremarkable data to support it!

Think of it this way: bigfoot belief is akin to someone saying that Joe Smith batted 1.000 his entirey 25-year career in professional baseball. That's a pretty spectacular claim, by any standard--certainly statistically significantly beyond the average. What I'm saying is the equivalent of saying "Let's ignore the batting average for a moment; they haven't even proved that Joe Smith played baseball."
 
I've never met a stratigrapher I didn't like. In the interests of full disclosure however, I have never actually met a stratigrapher.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom