dmaker said:
^^ Curious. What skeptics do you think have argued, without evidence, that bigfoot does not exist? Where do you see a bigfoot does not exist because I say so, or my hunch is bigfoot does not exist, presented here?
Neither. I've seen "You're wrong because bigfoot does not exist" numerous times on this forum, howeverr. And starting from the conclusion one wishes to arive at is a specific type of fallacy.
No, I won't go into further details here. I'm not going to call out specific people just to satisfy your curiosity. I would, however, suggest that you actually examine the structure of some of the arguments made in some of these threads.
Castro said:
About Gigantopithecus, are we also supposed to consider the existence of leprechauns in our backyard as possible because of the discovery of the "Flores Man"?
I'm more than happy to do so. Obviously I don't believe in leprechauns as currently portrayed; however, I find the idea of certain mythical hominins being the result of adulteration of stories of actual encounters with actual hominins to be an interesting one. I'm not even sure how one would go about looking for evidence for it; Step 1 would be to go through the myths and try to re-create the originals, which may very easily prove to be impossible. However, there are examples of descriptions of real creatures being distorted and altered into absolutely fantastic creatures. Unicorns, for example, are thought to have originated with rhinos (though for my money muttaed cervids are more likely--there are mutations that give certain deer a single horn in the middle of the forehead, and mutations that make deer albino). Dragons have also underwent extensive revision; look at any Medieval picture of St. George and the thing that will strike you is how small the dragon is. So yeah, it's not actually implausible that stories of perechauns and the other fairie folk originated with encounters between
H. sapiens and our close kin, which subsequently got distorted through the ages.
The reason that Giganto isn't a viable candidate is not because bigfoot doesn't exist; that would be begging the question. The reason Giganto isn't a viable candidate is that we have not found any evidence that the predictions made by such a model are true (ie, the concept requires Gigantos to be in specific places at specific times and we have searched those places extensively for fossils and not found any ape remains). After a few hundred years, I'm perfectly comfortable saying that the predictions are false. The experiment has been run, and continues to be run--in a way, I'm running it right now, in as much as I'm searching for fossils in areas where Giganto would have had to be and in the right time period (though the reason for me being here is completely unrelated to bigfoot). It doesn't pan out. It's a perfectly reasonable scientific question to ask "Did Giganto migrate into North America?" It only becomes unscientific when someone refuses to accept the data.
clayflingythingy said:
If the sissies in this video were truly scared, and ran like rabbits at some noises in the woods, had reported this as a BF encounter, they would be lying about their "encounter". Anyone who claims that such noises are BF are lying.
I'm not sure I'd go that far; they could be honestly mistaken (not about the sound, but about their ability to interpret the sound). That said, I will certainly agree that they are not being honest. As AronRa said, if you can't show it, you don't know it, and you shouldn't say it.
jerrywayne said:
Are we to call everyone LIARS and CON-ARTISTS because they hold fast to beliefs that actually make no sense?
I'm not sure if you're serious or not; your post rides the edge of Poe's Law. Assuming you are, first, you are mistaken about beliefs and evidence (bigfoot's existence is a taxonomic question, and taxonomy has specific rules [the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, to be exact], so anyone claiming bigfoot exists must follow those rules). Second, anyone who takes money from people by knowingly giving them false information is by definition a con-artist. Anyone who misrepresents what they have experienced in order to falsify the details (ie, someone NOT engaged in hyperbole to make a point) is a liar. If your beliefs make no sense, you are either attempting to con someone or have been conned yourself. There's really no other options.
If you BELIEVE something, or have a serious BELIEF, you are less open to alternative explanations. If you come to believe in Bigfoot, then unusual sounds, brief sightings of something moving in the undergrowth, internet sighting reports, suggestive thermals, odd looking tracks, etc. are explainable by an appeal to your prior held BELIEF. It is evidence FOR your belief and because of your belief, you are blind to the limitations of your "evidence" or just stubbornly holding to it.
This is why the rulse for taxonomy exist--specifically, intentionally, and systematically to remove exactly this element from the equation. No one has to hold any beliefs about any species I name or describe; they can examine the evidence, including the type specimen, for themselves. Science is the rigorous and methodical removal of personal belief from the equation.