• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Roman Polanski arrested (discuss)...

Excuse me, but I don't think you've been following the thread very well. Minors are legally unable to give consent.
Edited for tone - sorry, I was tired and grumpy.

The consent of a minor has legal weight in California. In California where the incident took place if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old, with the thirteen year old's consent, the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If they do it without the child's consent they get charged with rape. If you don't like it, take it up with Californian lawmakers. Obviously they didn't get the memo that minors are legally unable to give consent.

I promise I won't if you do the same. Statutory rape is a legal term that has "rape" in it.

In California there's no such thing as statutory rape. There's rape and there's unlawful sex.

I do, but I don't see how this relates to what I said. What, exactly, is Polanski accused of doing that you feel isn't already shown to be true ?

If by "shown to be true" you mean "shown beyond reasonable doubt" it has not been shown that Polanski pressed champagne or quaaludes upon the girl rather than providing them upon her request, it has not been shown that the girl did not consent to sex, it has not been shown that anal sex took place at all (and the account given clashes with the forensic evidence) and it has not been shown that Polanski climaxed. These are relevant considerations in charging and/or sentencing Polanski for a variety of possible charges.

What has been agreed-upon is that they shared champagne and part of a quaalude tablet and had sex, which is of course enough to convict Polanski on some charges.

The above is according to my best understanding of Polanski's statements, the girl's statements and the forensic evidence, all sourced from The Smoking Gun. If I've missed something relevant just point it out.
 
Last edited:
I am so very sick of that particular misconception, and this must be at least the third time I have corrected it in this thread alone. Needless to say your implication that I can't have been following the thread is hilariously hypocritical, but it also confirms my earlier speculation that you only read every third word or so of what I post.

The consent of a minor has legal weight in California. In California where the incident took place if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old, with the thirteen year old's consent, the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If they do it without the child's consent they get charged with rape. If you don't like it, take it up with Californian lawmakers. Obviously they didn't get the memo that minors are legally unable to give consent.



In California there's no such thing as statutory rape. There's rape and there's unlawful sex.

Unlawful sex is statutory rape for all intents and purposes. This has been explained to you several times.

I swear, every third word, tops. I've already said all this and I'm just repeating myself.

If by "shown to be true" you mean "shown beyond reasonable doubt" it has not been shown that Polanski pressed champagne or quaaludes upon the girl rather than providing them upon her request, it has not been shown that the girl did not consent to sex, it has not been shown that anal sex took place at all (and the account given clashes with the forensic evidence) and it has not been shown that Polanski climaxed. These are relevant considerations in charging and/or sentencing Polanski for a variety of possible charges.

What has been agreed-upon is that they shared champagne and part of a quaalude tablet and had sex, which is of course enough to convict Polanski on some charges.

The above is according to my best understanding of Polanski's statements, the girl's statements and the forensic evidence, all sourced from The Smoking Gun. If I've missed something relevant just point it out.

Supporting witness statements support the likelihood of the girl's word being true. It is consistent with events. Might I also point out that a thirteen year old girl can't consent to taking drugs or wine either, and giving them either is a crime in and of itself.

Polanski drugged (a crime), gave wine to (a crime), had sex with (a crime called rape) a thirteen year old girl. He plead guilt and then fled (a crime). There is further evidence that the sex wasn't consensual. I'll point to the fact this went to the police despite the girl's mother being against it. This is in addition to all the other things people have said to you supporting that it was rape.
 
Unlawful sex is statutory rape for all intents and purposes. This has been explained to you several times.

This is like talking to brick walls. "Statutory rape" is not a legal term outside the specific jurisdictions that have a crime called "statutory rape". Even if it was a legal term instead of an informal misnomer, the fact would remain that the consent of an underage person has legal weight in California just as it does in many, many other jurisdictions. Perhaps most importantly it's a semantic argument in the pejorative sense - whatever Polanski did it's either good or bad because of its effects, whatever they are. Call it unlawful sex, rape, genocide, aardvark, teaspoon, it makes no damn difference.

If the sole remaining point of contention ends up being whether you get to informally call an unlawful sex charge a statutory rape charge or not we would not be disagreeing about anything that actually mattered.

Supporting witness statements support the likelihood of the girl's word being true. It is consistent with events.

Can you explain exactly what pieces of evidence you are talking about? If it's Huston's statement that the girl was "sullen" that isn't support for her version of events rather than Polanski's as far as I can see. What "events" are you talking about?

Might I also point out that a thirteen year old girl can't consent to taking drugs or wine either, and giving them either is a crime in and of itself.

I said that in the text you quoted. I don't know why you're saying it again.

Polanski drugged (a crime), gave wine to (a crime), had sex with (a crime called rape) a thirteen year old girl. He plead guilt and then fled (a crime).

I've said all that already too. I don't know why you're saying that again either.

There is further evidence that the sex wasn't consensual.

What, exactly?

I'll point to the fact this went to the police despite the girl's mother being against it.

My understanding was that the mother was the one who reported the matter to the police, although she also have them a statement saying she wasn't seeking a lengthy sentence for Polanski. That's what I remember from The Smoking Gun, anyway. What's your source?

This is in addition to all the other things people have said to you supporting that it was rape.

What, exactly?

Are you going to address the inconsistencies between the forensic evidence and the girl's statement?
 
Unlawful sex is statutory rape for all intents and purposes. This has been explained to you several times.



Supporting witness statements support the likelihood of the girl's word being true. It is consistent with events. Might I also point out that a thirteen year old girl can't consent to taking drugs or wine either, and giving them either is a crime in and of itself.

Polanski drugged (a crime), gave wine to (a crime), had sex with (a crime called rape) a thirteen year old girl. He plead guilt and then fled (a crime). There is further evidence that the sex wasn't consensual. I'll point to the fact this went to the police despite the girl's mother being against it. This is in addition to all the other things people have said to you supporting that it was rape.

The fact remains that what he is legally guilty of is only (in the sense of 'one', not 'merely') unlawful sex. If you want to refer to that as "statutory rape", although that is not what is on the indictment, feel free. What you and others seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge is that it is possible that a 13 year old girl might (from her point of view) willingly engage in sex. That does not make it right. With the law as it stands, it is illegal, and by that law's definition, it is not consensual. Nevertheless, it is possible that a girl in such a case is not traumatised in the same way as she would have been if there was force or coercion involved. All Polanski is legally guilty of is this offence, and I think that is the point the Whoopie Goldberg was (badly) trying to make; that's all that any legal action against him can be based on (unless it's possible to reopen some of the other charges).

Now, if the girl in this case's testimony is accurate, then, yes, this was not such a case. But from the law's point of view, he cannot be treated as if he was guilty of something that is only alleged and has not been tried. (Again, this seems to be a feature of the plea-bargaining process; there seems to be an assumption that because someone admits to one offence, that is effectively an admission that they committed something more serious.)
 
In California there's no such thing as statutory rape. There's rape and there's unlawful sex.

So apparently when you said you wanted to "drop it" regarding rape vs. unlawful sex, what you really meant was "I'm going to ignore your arguments and all the sources you cited to support it and carry on with my display of ignorance of the law".

The consent of a minor has legal weight in California. In California where the incident took place if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old, with the thirteen year old's consent, the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If they do it without the child's consent they get charged with rape. If you don't like it, take it up with Californian lawmakers. Obviously they didn't get the memo that minors are legally unable to give consent.

"Rape" and "statutory rape" are two different crimes, and are not necessarily descriptive of two separate events. And they are most certainly not mutually exclusive (Polanski was originally charged with both). Under the law, a child can never give consent, therefore sexual intercourse with a child is always statutory rape, even if special circumstances provide for additional rape charges.

In all seriousness, contact a lawyer and have him or her explain these things to you. You're clearly not going to believe what anyone here tells you, regardless of the documentation provided, and your crusade to willfully ignore whatever doesn't fit into your unique legal perspective makes you appear silly and dishonest.
 
According to the methodology of certain legal scholars posting in this thread, no one in California has ever been legally guilty of stealing a car, as the penal code adressing this particular crime does not use the specific words "steal", "stolen", or "car":

Grand Theft: California Penal Code 487

Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:

(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding four hundred dollars ($400), except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), grand theft is committed in any of the following cases:
(1) (A) When domestic fowls, avocados, olives, citrus or deciduous fruits, other fruits, vegetables, nuts, artichokes, or other farm crops are taken of a value exceeding one hundred dollars ($100).
(B) For the purposes of establishing that the value of avocados or citrus fruit under this paragraph exceeds one hundred dollars ($100), that value may be shown by the presentation of credible evidence which establishes that on the day of the theft avocados or citrus fruit of the same variety and weight exceeded one hundred dollars ($100) in wholesale value.
(2) When fish, shellfish, mollusks, crustaceans, kelp, algae, or other aquacultural products are taken from a commercial or research operation which is producing that product, of a value exceeding one hundred dollars ($100). (3) Where the money, labor, or real or personal property is taken by a servant, agent, or employee from his or her principal or employer and aggregates four hundred dollars ($400) or more in any 12 consecutive month period.

(c) When the property is taken from the person of another.

(d) When the property taken is any of the following:
(1) An automobile, horse, mare, gelding, any bovine animal, any caprine animal, mule, jack, jenny, sheep, lamb, hog, sow, boar, gilt, barrow, or pig.
(2) A firearm.

So if anyone ever tries to say that someone was convicted for stealing a car in California, make sure you correct them.
 
Last edited:
The fact remains that what he is legally guilty of is only (in the sense of 'one', not 'merely') unlawful sex. If you want to refer to that as "statutory rape", although that is not what is on the indictment, feel free.

Yeah, exactly. Not seeing the disagreement here.

What you and others seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge is that it is possible that a 13 year old girl might (from her point of view) willingly engage in sex. That does not make it right. With the law as it stands, it is illegal, and by that law's definition, it is not consensual. Nevertheless, it is possible that a girl in such a case is not traumatised in the same way as she would have been if there was force or coercion involved.

She says she was unwilling. She says she was traumatized. I believe her. I know from experience trying to reason with Kevin isn't going to get anywhere, but no one is arguing that some theoretical thirteen year old might believe they consented and not be traumatized as much. That isn't his case though. Even if they believe they consented it can still do a lot of damage.

Again, we aren't talking about some theoretical case. Polanski's actions give ample reason to distrust his word.

All Polanski is legally guilty of is this offence, and I think that is the point the Whoopie Goldberg was (badly) trying to make; that's all that any legal action against him can be based on (unless it's possible to reopen some of the other charges).

Again, legally we don't need to care what 'technically' he plead guilty to. He's still a child raping ass who fled from justice.

Now, if the girl in this case's testimony is accurate, then, yes, this was not such a case. But from the law's point of view, he cannot be treated as if he was guilty of something that is only alleged and has not been tried. (Again, this seems to be a feature of the plea-bargaining process; there seems to be an assumption that because someone admits to one offence, that is effectively an admission that they committed something more serious.)

Again, from the law's point of view, no one in this thread is the law.
 
If by "shown to be true" you mean "shown beyond reasonable doubt" it has not been shown that Polanski pressed champagne or quaaludes upon the girl rather than providing them upon her request, it has not been shown that the girl did not consent to sex, it has not been shown that anal sex took place at all (and the account given clashes with the forensic evidence) and it has not been shown that Polanski climaxed. These are relevant considerations in charging and/or sentencing Polanski for a variety of possible charges.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know from you.
 
Possibly moving on from purely semantic arguments, I think if we're going to analyse the whole story we're going to have to bite the bullet and look at the distasteful stuff. Specifically the conflict between the girl's statement and the medical forensic evidence. That seems to me to be the one place where we have a clear clash between the available claims and the available facts.

The girl claimed that Polanski, after inquiring about whether she was on the pill, proceeded to anally rape her until he climaxed. One immediate inconsistency here is that no semen was found in her anus, or for that matter her vagina, only chemical traces of semen on her undergarments. (As mentioned earlier she was by her own admission sexually active with her boyfriend of the time so there is an alternative possible source for such traces).

The second is that the medical examination showed no signs of damage around the anus. This is inconsistent with an adult male having impromptu anal sex with an uncooperative/passive thirteen year old with no previous experience of anal penetration. While I cannot speak from personal experience, what I have read in Dan Savage's columns indicates that having penetrative anal sex without injury requires substantial practice and artificial lubricant even for cooperative adults.

I agree that overall the girl makes a more credible witness than Polanski but her claim that she was anally raped and that Polanski climaxed in her anus is incompatible with the medical evidence. On that point I think it's safe to conclude she was lying or mistaken, and it's hard to imagine making a mistake on that point. Polanski's claim that they only engaged in vaginal intercourse and that he did not climax is closer to being consistent with the forensic evidence on these points.

I'm not sure what logically follows from that, but before we move on does anyone see any factual or logical errors in the preceding statements? I don't accuse the girl of lying on those points lightly but I see no way of reconciling her statement with the forensic evidence. It's possible I have missed something however and if so hopefully someone will spot it.
 
Last edited:
There was Huston, who said that immediately after the sex the victim was "sullen".

But that still doesn't matter. Her testimony doesn't matter any more than Polanski's does, because the only person who is qualified to determine whether the victim was distressed is the victim. And she says she was.[/quote]

You're seriously arguing that the legal standard of proof in a rape case should be "whatever the complainant alleges"?

WTF?
 
The consent of a minor has legal weight in California. In California where the incident took place if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old, with the thirteen year old's consent, the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If they do it without the child's consent they get charged with rape. If you don't like it, take it up with Californian lawmakers. Obviously they didn't get the memo that minors are legally unable to give consent.

It is my understanding that you are wrong on this.

It should read:

if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If the Prosecutor can provel lack of consent they get charged with rape.

Consent is not an element of unlawful sex.

See Sections 261 and 261.5 of the California Penal Code.
 
Last edited:
It is my understanding that you are wrong on this.

It should read:

if a forty year old has sex with a thirteen year old the older party gets charged with unlawful sex. If the Prosecutor can provel lack of consent they get charged with rape.

Consent is not an element of unlawful sex.

I see what you are saying, technically you could get charged with both.

(Edited: I read a bit wrong).
 
Last edited:
I see what you are saying, technically you could get charged with both.

Indeed, I believe he was initially charged with both.

Also according to that site California still defines rape as "Rape is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person not the spouse of the perpetrator, under any of the following circumstances: (1) Where a person is incapable, because of a mental disorder or developmental or physical disability, of giving legal consent (etc.)".

Ew.

They have a seperate S262 for 'Rape of a person who is the spouse of the perpetrator'
 
Consent is not an element of unlawful sex.

It depends on what you mean by "consent". If you're referring to the common usage of the word, then yes, consent is irrelevant. However legal consent is very much an element of unlawful sex in that a minor cannot legally give consent, which is precisely what makes the sex unlawful.
 
Yet again you are having trouble with the idea of proof beyond reasonable doubt. The fact that Huston thought she was "sullen" does not lead inescapably to the conclusion that she'd just been raped. Nor does uncorroborated testimony rise to the level of proof beyond reasonable doubt, especially since the forensic evidence supports Polanski's account better than hers.

No - but that Huston thought she was "sullen" does corroborate the victim's testimony that she was not happy about what had transpired. It's two words against Polanski's one.

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day, as they say. It's a stupid argument though. Sex, like marijuana, red wine, coffee and television, is bad if the evidence says it's bad and not otherwise. If popular prejudice gets it right once in a while, in general direction if not in degree, that doesn't give us reason to suppose it's going to be right next time.

No; all that matters here is that it was right this time.

As for my "grand epiphany" it wasn't all that grand. I saw some reports of new research and looked over the abstracts, decided they looked pretty solid and addressed the major methodological complaints I had with previous efforts, and accepted their conclusions. That's what I do with research areas I'm mildly interested in. I might have posted something about it if I'd had the free time to obtain the full papers and sit down with them for an afternoon or two to develop a properly informed opinion about them, but I'm not dumb enough to start a thread like that without all my ducks in a row, and duck-row-making time has been short lately.

ETA: Check the dates on those posts - those threads have been dead a long time. At the time I found the newer studies there was no ongoing discussion and there had not been any for some time.

But you just said this topic is interesting and important to you. Yet not even worth a mention, until somebody brings up things you said previously?


I'm comfortable with Polanski serving the remaining 50 days or whatever he would have gotten at the time, plus whatever you get for skipping the country to avoid such a sentence.

Fine.

My view was and is that the laws against sex with underage people are not there to prevent them having healthy, equitable, mutually enriching sexual relationships with older people. It's there to prevent them being exploited by sleazebags, and assumes that in almost all cases the adults seeking to boink underage people are exploitative sleazebags.

This is a reasonable assumption for the law to make, in my opinion.

As i understood DD's statement, he was saying "Well I'm not an exploitative sleazebag, so if a willing, eager, implausibly physically mature twelve year old wanted to boink me, I don't see the harm".

And in everybody else's opinion (save yours), thinking it's okay to "boink" kids makes one an exploitative sleazebag. See the difference?

At the time I wasn't aware of any hard evidence showing that such boinking led to harm, and was aware of reasonably solid evidence indicating it did no harm. (Given that real-world data is, I venture to assume, mostly going to reflect the effects of crappy relationships with sleazebags, I'm not sure even today we have any hard data about highly unlikely corner cases where adults who aren't nutjobs have fulfilling relationships with implausibly mature twelve year olds).

No hard evidence to support a conclusion about what would be okay in an implausible and hypothetical scenario? Wow, that is pretty strange.

DD got completely dogpiled for his philosophical point, which I think most of the lynch mob failed to understand, and the malignant idiots I may have mentioned earlier have taken great glee in bringing up their "triumph" as often as possible since then. DD pretty much stopped posting after that, and I can't blame him. He trolled the boards for a while and then vanished entirely, and we lost a good poster. I don't consider it the JREF forum's finest hour.

Yeah, not 2 years goes by before someone mentions DD's statement.

I accept drawing a bright line as an unpleasant necessity. I have a big problem with idiots who work themselves into a frothing rage when someone's toe crosses the line, and who are convinced (utterly without any evidence) that the bright line drawn in local law represents some divine moral truth, despite the fact that the line is drawn in all sorts of places all over the globe and evidence that any one line is better than another is very thin indeed.

*coughs*

Sorry, hay fever.

There were plenty of posters back then who were doing then what you are doing now. Granted they didn't come up with much good evidence, but then again neither did I because I'm not sure it existed. I'll err on the side of charity and assume they looked.

What I'm doing now? Mentioning things you said in old threads? That's all I'm doing now. It would take an actual search for evidence in order to find any, I should think.

I'm saying that if your sample size is one your p value is not even worth the time to calculate, and if you don't have p<0.1 at the very worst then you don't have evidence.

So...a collated set of enough first-hand anecdotes, then.

You were doing well for a minute there, you'd hardly misrepresented me at all for several whole paragraphs.

I wanted hard evidence, not anecdotes. Who said I ever called for anecdotes? Anecdotes are worthless. Only people too dumb to understand the difference between anecdotes and evidence like anecdotes.

Unless you have enough of them. Then you can collate them and call the set a study, and suddenly they aren't worthless anymore.

What are you on about? Thirteen year olds are generally pretty good at telling whether or not something is fun or distressing and communicating their feelings about it.

Unless they had sex with Polanski. Then their word isn't good enough, and they have to prove that they didn't like it. Somehow.

This particular point you are making makes no sense to me at all. I suspect you didn't actually read the evidence we were discussing in that thread that showed that children are much more resilient than you seem to think even when subjected to distressing, unwanted sexual abuse. Long-term abuse often screws people up for life but kids bounce back from individual sexual assaults, which is an excellent reason to have measures in place to detect childhood sexual abuse and step in fast when it's detected.

The idea that one bad sexual experience screws you up for life is not supported by the evidence. A childhood full of sexual abuse, definitely. One bad experience, no. It's the difference between growing up being constantly physically abused and being punched up once after school - getting punched up isn't pleasant and will cause short-term problems but it's not going to ruin your whole life.

And where is the evidence that has "convinced" you that all kids are able to shrug off singular incidents of abuse? Saying such "is not supported by the evidence" is a rather positive statement for someone who's pretending to be agnostic.

But in any case, I don't understand what you're trying to imply. You've already said that sexual abuse shouldn't qualify as "abuse" if there's no damage. So...one incident is okay, since it doesn't screw up a kid's life. Okay...so based on the "evidence", how many times can a kid be molested before damage occurs and the exact same "safe, non-distressing sex" that was okay the first time becomes a bad thing that actually SHOULD be a criminal offense?

What if a person does claim damage from a single instance? Are they dismissible because "the evidence shows" they shouldn't have been affected that way? Is there now "reasonable doubt" that they're being truthful, and now they have to prove the incident was traumatic?

Well, no, if I'm being honest, I don't expect a retration. I gave you the benefit of the doubt but my opinion of you has sunk to the point where I don't expect that kind of honourable behaviour from you.

Still, if you lifted your game I'd be pleasantly surprised and accept your apology.

You really are a piece of work, aren't you? You said

Back your defamatory claims up, by linking to specific posts of mine and explaining in your own words (1) exactly what I'm claiming and (2) why it is bad. Do it here or do it in a thread of your own making, I don't care.

If you can't back them up then retract them and apologise. I'm through tolerating this sort of treatment from people like you.

That's, "Do A; if you can't, then do B". I've done A, so I don't owe you B also. Your whiny protestations about having changed your mind off-stage when nobody was looking don't invalidate the links and specific quotes I used to back up my "defamatory" claims. Your bluff was called - you'll just have to square with it.



As I think I've shown repeatedly, this is not true. You don't treat people based on what they actually post and the evidence for it. You take an inaccurate guess at what they said, another inaccurate guess at what they meant, and then you take it upon yourself to outright lie about them. If you're comfortable being that person, I can't stop you living your life that way.

I might feel bad about being characterized this way if every other person in the thread didn't "inaccurately" "misrepresent" your claims in the exact same way. When so many people misunderstand you, perhaps it's time to at least consider that the communication failure is yours.
 
Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by "consent". If you're referring to the common usage of the word, then yes, consent is irrelevant. However legal consent is very much an element of unlawful sex in that a minor cannot legally give consent, which is precisely what makes the sex unlawful.

The offence is based on the idea that juveniles can't provide informed consent but I meant you don't have to demonstrate consent occurred to prove unlawful sex.
 
No - but that Huston thought she was "sullen" does corroborate the victim's testimony that she was not happy about what had transpired. It's two words against Polanski's one.

Perhaps 1.01 to 1. It would be 2 to 1 if Huston witnessed the entire thing and corroborated the girl's testimony.

But you just said this topic is interesting and important to you. Yet not even worth a mention, until somebody brings up things you said previously?

Believe it or not the JREF forums is not my blog. I don't post everything that crosses my computer screen here, even if it's relevant to an acrimonious discussion I had here a year ago (or whenever).

What are you insinuating anyway? Would it make a difference if I reviewed the literature and changed my mind on that particular issue last week instead of months ago, and if so why?

And in everybody else's opinion (save yours), thinking it's okay to "boink" kids makes one an exploitative sleazebag. See the difference?

Okay, suppose we've got two teenagers, Al and Bill. They have this conversation:

AL: Bill, if your sister wasn't your sister, would you sleep with her?
BILL: Sure, she's hot.
AL: EWWWW! SHE'S YOUR SISTER YOU SICKO!

What's going on there? It's not that Bill is sick, it's that Al is thick. He's unable to remember the hypothetical scenario from five seconds ago and thinks he can legitimately apply Al's answer to the non-hypothetical world.

Compare:

GTC: Would you sleep with an implausibly mature twelve year old, if the relationship was mutually fulfilling and in no way exploitative?
DD: Sure, why not?
GTC: EWWWW! SHE'S TWELVE YOU SICKO!

Same problem. You want your witch hunt so badly you forget the constraints of the hypothetical scenario. You're making exactly the same cognitive error as the people who lambasted DD in the first place.

So...a collated set of enough first-hand anecdotes, then.

Yes. You are beginning to grasp the scientific method. If you have enough properly collected, first-hand anecdotes from an unbiased sample you can reach a tipping point where confidence in the data is justified. If you don't have enough such anecdotes you just have worthless anecdotes.

Unless they had sex with Polanski. Then their word isn't good enough, and they have to prove that they didn't like it. Somehow.

That's too stupid to dignify with a response. Act your age.

And where is the evidence that has "convinced" you that all kids are able to shrug off singular incidents of abuse? Saying such "is not supported by the evidence" is a rather positive statement for someone who's pretending to be agnostic.

If you care enough go back and read the threads that got linked to before, I'm pretty sure all the links are there. Or do your own research. You've demonstrated enough bad faith so far I'm in no way inclined to do your homework for you about an issue which is mostly irrelevant to the Polanski case.

But in any case, I don't understand what you're trying to imply. You've already said that sexual abuse shouldn't qualify as "abuse" if there's no damage. So...one incident is okay, since it doesn't screw up a kid's life. Okay...so based on the "evidence", how many times can a kid be molested before damage occurs and the exact same "safe, non-distressing sex" that was okay the first time becomes a bad thing that actually SHOULD be a criminal offense?

Has this got anything to do with Polanski, or have you abandoned relevance completely in favour of trolling for some response you can get outraged about? Also, the claim that one incident of child sexual abuse is "okay" is completely your own invention, and trying to attribute it to me is both disgusting and dishonest.

What if a person does claim damage from a single instance? Are they dismissible because "the evidence shows" they shouldn't have been affected that way? Is there now "reasonable doubt" that they're being truthful, and now they have to prove the incident was traumatic?

All we can say is that in properly controlled studies the evidence of harm does not rise to a statistically significant level.

You really are a piece of work, aren't you? You said

That's, "Do A; if you can't, then do B". I've done A, so I don't owe you B also. Your whiny protestations about having changed your mind off-stage when nobody was looking don't invalidate the links and specific quotes I used to back up my "defamatory" claims. Your bluff was called - you'll just have to square with it.

Nice try, but there was a point to that challenge. The point was that when you actually had to explain my position in your own words you got it almost completely wrong, and when you were corrected you had nothing left to be outraged about. I had the evidence on my side at the time, you have certainly not been able to show otherwise, and I'm perfectly comfortable to let the record show that I proportioned my belief to the available relevant evidence at the time. That's what skeptics do.

Then (unlike the witch-hunting idiots) I made some effort to keep abreast of the issue, and changed my mind when better evidence became available. That's also what skeptics do.

I might feel bad about being characterized this way if every other person in the thread didn't "inaccurately" "misrepresent" your claims in the exact same way. When so many people misunderstand you, perhaps it's time to at least consider that the communication failure is yours.

That or these threads attract a self-selecting population of people who want so badly to be self-righteously outraged that it colours everything they read, and they end up turning these threads into echo chambers where they hear nothing but each other's outraged noises.

It doesn't help that these people tend to have done no real research and have all kinds of non-evidence-based beliefs about underage sexual issues which they hold as articles of faith.

My experience has been that in these threads the bad posters tend to drive out the good.
 
Last edited:
See, your scenario is wrong for simple reasons: the sister, assuming she's of age, can consent. I don't give a **** what consenting adults do. The 12-year old can not. The 12-year old, while s/he may be physically sexually mature, is not mentally sexually mature. They're not ready to deal with the consequences that comes from mating.

Brain Changes Significantly After 18

Teenage Brains

Add on to that, the power that adults have over children. Take False Memory Syndrome, for example. It's incredibly easy to do with children because they want to please the adult. As an adult, you have a power of persuasion over a minor.

As the mature one, you have the responsibility.

This isn't a witch hunt. This is about adults using children.

And hey, you've still been evading my previous questions.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom