johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2007
- Messages
- 18,821
I choose the police.
Easy choice to make when the police, without fail, always choose you.
I choose the police.
Easy choice to make when the police, without fail, always choose you.
To me the self-defense claims miss the biggest point entirely, which is that there is clear evidence, if not proof, of a police department encouraging and assisting an armed right wing militia group during a volatile situation.
The legality of the killings in a vacuum is an important issue, yes. But not anywhere near the biggest one involved.
Sometimes we have to choose between the police and our African-American neighbor who violated a restraining order placed against him for sexually assaulting a woman by going back to her house, who had a felony warrant for the rape, who ignored lawful orders from police, who brushed off two separate Taser shots, who physically assaulted police officers, who ignored repeated commands to drop a deadly weapon before reaching into his vehicle while guns were drawn on him. I choose the police.
You know I'm getting tired of the worry about a "backlash" agains the protesting. Not because it's not technically true, but because I have yet to see the sentiment come from someone that wasn't part of the "counter."
Show me someone that is worried that the protests and and demonstrations are going to get a backlash for being too violent, and 9 times out of 10 I'll show you someone looking for the first excuse to dismiss the issues.
"Oh black people need to protest nicer against being murdered in the streets in broad daylight on camera by police officers who then receive no punishment! Oh if they aren't careful there's gonna be a backlash!"
"Oh a backlash? And do you plan on being part of this backlash you are so worried about?"
*Coyish grin* "Oh I'll never tell."
I don't see that. I have a car dealership. It's set on fire one night. There is high probability it will be set of fire again. Few friends offer help, and come with guns to stand in front of my car dealership.
What should police do ? Say they can handle it ? Clearly they can't.
Right wing militia maybe, but in this situation they are the good guys. Their effort might end up counterproductive, but it's legitimate.
I don't see that. I have a car dealership. It's set on fire one night. There is high probability it will be set of fire again. Few friends offer help, and come with guns to stand in front of my car dealership.
What should police do ? Say they can handle it ? Clearly they can't.
Right wing militia maybe, but in this situation they are the good guys.
Their effort might end up counterproductive, but it's legitimate.
Disagreed. If they showed up in numbers with baseball bats and ax handles, maybe shotguns with birdshot, that might be legit. They showed up with high powered rifles designed to kill people. That was their scope of intent, and it was highly disproportionate. How many lives were they going to take to 'protect' the remnants of an already trashed business? How much money was at stake here to warrant corpse collections?
Disagreed. If they showed up in numbers with baseball bats and ax handles, maybe shotguns with birdshot, that might be legit. They showed up with high powered rifles designed to kill people. That was their scope of intent, and it was highly disproportionate. How many lives were they going to take to 'protect' the remnants of an already trashed business? How much money was at stake here to warrant corpse collections?
It all depends on exact Wisconsin law. Where I live I can kill defending my property. I don't have to run. I hear Wisconsin only allows shooting when you have no other choice (you have to run if you can).
And yeah, if you are setting buildings on fire, I think it's perfectly proportionate to shoot to kill. It's not just about money. First there can be people inside, so it's murder intent. But it's also my property. My freedom.
But it's also my property. My freedom.
Yep it is the american way
Destruction of property is not an appropriate response to murder but murder is an appropriate response to destruction of property.
Related to this is how with cops killing people, there is this tendency to consider the moral purity of the victim as if it really matters. That a person had a warrant or an ex-con or whatever. Or that the person was pure in all things big and small.
But when some business gets burned down there isn't a whole lot about their business practices. Like a car lot engaged in predatory lending that has several complaints regarding wage theft and fraudulently concealing defects in merchandise. Or a retail establishment that funded surveillance cameras and otherwise pressured cops to harass area residents likely to make suburban shoppers nervous.
Yep it is the american way
Destruction of property is not an appropriate response to murder but murder is an appropriate response to destruction of property.
We are talking about property of people unrelated to the original 'murder'. That's certainly not appropriate. Even destruction of property of supposed murderer is not appropriate these days. We have a justice system for that.
Even if we ignore the moral issues about killing people and the idea that losing some property is the same as losing freedom...
You are aware that even trained people with guns usually miss, right? That those bullets do not evaporate into fairy dust?
When people decide they will shoot to kill to protect property, they need to ask themselves whether it is worth killing other people in the crowd threatening nothing or even some random child some blocks away.
Ah so it is only acceptable to destroy property to protest taxes then, as we see in the Boston Tea Party.
And it is funny that you think the justice system will solve anything, it being broken is the whole point of the protests in the first place.
I don't know much about Boston Tea Party. I don't see how it's relevant. Wasn't that start of a war ? Like in medieval times ?
I don't think destruction of other's people property, including public property, is not appropriate, or useful, in any case.
Anyway, good luck changing justice system with violence.
Sure. But in cases like this, when the self-defense criteria are met depending on local law, the idea is you had no choice but to defend yourself. The attacker is the initiator of the action, and thus all collateral damage is on him.