• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Replaceable phone batteries

"As of February 18, 2027, user-replaceable batteries should be included in all smartphones and tablets sold within the [EU] bloc. The relocation is part of a bigger initiative to lessen electronic waste and prolong the lifetime of consumer devices."


Great initiative, yes?
Yes! About ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ time!
 
"As of February 18, 2027, user-replaceable batteries should be included in all smartphones and tablets sold within the [EU] bloc. The relocation is part of a bigger initiative to lessen electronic waste and prolong the lifetime of consumer devices."


Great initiative, yes?

Yes, indeed.

I've replaced batteries, in a couple of "non replaceable battery" items, and it's a massive pain in the butt, that no one should be expected to go through.

(Or have to pay to have done.)

What we're putting up with at the moment is a glaring example of planned obsolescence, one of the many examples of 'market failure' in capitalism.

(i.e. the consumer cannot choose better products if those products don't exist.)

Speaking of which, my brother has recently bought a 'powerbank' which uses ordinary, replaceable, rechargeable batteries.

Hopefully that's the beginning of a trend.
 
I have had batteries replaced in a few phones already. Even Samsung A series phones now which requires removing the screen off the phone.
I do miss the ones we could just pop the case and get a replacement to set in.

My spare phone is an older style non smart phone but new manufacture. With the updated card for the current tower technology and the older style pop in battery and otherwise straight out of a decade ago cheap phone design. Solid stuff. Lasts a week on one charge.

Took a while to find one again.
 
And it's not only phones, but also tablets and landline phones.

Here's a link to a better source than the crappy MSN site. While it looks like it may have been written by AI, it does have a person's name on it. But certainly it's not formatted to standards I've come to expect from top level media.

 
Last edited:
There's another issue: software updates. My wife couldn't use her banking application anymore on her previous phone because the Android OS was too outdated so the bank didn't want to support it anymore. In the best case you get like 4 years of updates, but my battery lasts usually much longer. Still we are forced to swap phones for the sake of security.

I hope this is tackled next by the EU. I really don't need a new phone every 4 years.
 
My phone is fairly old (Samsung s10), and it has started telling me that the battery is not up to par. Which is not true - i don't have to charge it more often, it's rarely below 50%, no matter what. My phone is obviously lying to me. It does exactly what I want it to do, without complaining, but it keeps nagging me about the battery. I would have loved to be able to just change the battery, but i've had a look at youtube tutorials, and while I would do a lot for my phone, I won't do that. I'm really pleased about this new directive, but also pissed that this has not always been the case...
 
Bigger than which phone? Phones come in a variety of sizes.
Let me reword my post. They could design a phone that cannot be taken apart, but if they redesign it so that the battery can be taken out that would increase its size. For example, for battery that can be taken out needs a separate cover. But if it was permanently in the phone that cover is not necessary.
 
My phone is fairly old (Samsung s10), and it has started telling me that the battery is not up to par. Which is not true - i don't have to charge it more often, it's rarely below 50%, no matter what. My phone is obviously lying to me. It does exactly what I want it to do, without complaining, but it keeps nagging me about the battery. I would have loved to be able to just change the battery, but i've had a look at youtube tutorials, and while I would do a lot for my phone, I won't do that. I'm really pleased about this new directive, but also pissed that this has not always been the case...

My Samsung S8 is now 8 years old and I've replaced the battery twice, but electronic repair is my line of work so I was willing to have a go. I've also replaced a broken glass back. Stupid design. (I dropped it recently and chipped the front screen. That might be the end of my putting any more money and effort into it.)

I suspect rjh01 is right that making batteries user replaceable is going to make the phones bigger and clumsier than their sealed-shut equivalent. Though I did like the ease of replacing the battery in my previous phones, they weren't waterproof which newer phones are.

If you want a phone that isn't ruined when you fumble it and drop it in the loo, you probably don't want an unsealed phone with a user-replaceable battery.
 
Last edited:
My Samsung S8 is now 8 years old and I've replaced the battery twice, but electronic repair is my line of work so I was willing to have a go. I've also replaced a broken glass back. Stupid design. (I dropped it recently and chipped the front screen. That might be the end of my putting any more money and effort into it.)

I suspect rjh01 is right that making batteries user replaceable is going to make the phones bigger and clumsier than their sealed-shut equivalent. Though I did like the ease of replacing the battery in my previous phones, they weren't waterproof which newer phones are.

If you want a phone that isn't ruined when you fumble it and drop it in the loo, you probably don't want an unsealed phone with a user-replaceable battery.

A screw down rear panel could be water tight and needn't significantly increase the size.
 
I watched the other day as my Samsung A51 reached 15%. I left it on and I could actually see the value count down. 30 minutes later it was down to zero.
I just ordered a replacement battery for it. I'd been kind of putting it off because I read how difficult they are to change. I work with small electronics for fun and have replaced an iPhone battery. I'm not looking forward to this. I'll be sure to make a full backup just before.
 
I would normally be Gung ho in favor of this, but lately I am smashing up my phones long before the batteries give out, with a butch case on them and everything. My current Samsung S20 battery does not seem to be holding a charge as long as it used to, but the charging port got damaged, so I use wireless charging exclusively, which I am told depletes the battery life much faster?
 
Yes, indeed.

I've replaced batteries, in a couple of "non replaceable battery" items, and it's a massive pain in the butt, that no one should be expected to go through.

(Or have to pay to have done.)

What we're putting up with at the moment is a glaring example of planned obsolescence, one of the many examples of 'market failure' in capitalism.

(i.e. the consumer cannot choose better products if those products don't exist.)
I actually prefer the current iteration of the smartphone. Regulating them out of existence would mean that I, a customer, could not choose the better product.
 
I just paid a bill and, right on cue, the banking app told me it will soon stop working unless I update my phone to Android 10, which Samsung isn't interested in supporting on this old hardware. <Sigh.>
 
My Samsung S8 is now 8 years old and I've replaced the battery twice, but electronic repair is my line of work so I was willing to have a go. I've also replaced a broken glass back. Stupid design. (I dropped it recently and chipped the front screen. That might be the end of my putting any more money and effort into it.)

I suspect rjh01 is right that making batteries user replaceable is going to make the phones bigger and clumsier than their sealed-shut equivalent. Though I did like the ease of replacing the battery in my previous phones, they weren't waterproof which newer phones are.

If you want a phone that isn't ruined when you fumble it and drop it in the loo, you probably don't want an unsealed phone with a user-replaceable battery.
Samsung had waterproof phones when you could still flick the back off and take the battery out.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom