• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Replaceable phone batteries

Why? It's an open standard controlled by the IEEE
Because there will always be someone that opposes all changes for reasons. I'm sure they had some reason or other, some other standard they like for some reason, or some hypothetical future standard. Who knows, but there is always someone.
 
It is possible to do some form of backup using `adb` via a USB connection. I've never tried to restore such a backup, though. (`adb` is part of the Android development kit.)
I've actually done some Android development. But backups should be simple and clear.
 
I've actually done some Android development. But backups should be simple and clear.
Agreed; unfortunately as far as I know neither Android nor iOS support such backups. On Android, rooting the phone and installing TWRP does allow a straightforward backup, but rooting the device typically wipes it anyway.
 
I got my replacement battery and did a backup of my phone. The problem is, it's stored on the Cloud somewhere and I can't find it to verify it. There doesn't seem to be a way just to simply back up everything to my laptop. (Samsung A51). I know I should be able to restore from that ghostly Cloud location should something happen, but I prefer to have something local. I'm a bit hesitant to proceed with the replacement until I can see it.
There are various tools that will back up an Android device via cable to a computer, True Image for example. Files like photos, videos and documents should be directly accessible from Windows Explorer or equivalent.
 
I saw an "Auto-backup" notice on my phone when glancing at it last night. I must have set it to On when perusing the settings. I still don't know where the information goes, and will have to follow that up.

There are various tools that will back up an Android device via cable to a computer, True Image for example. Files like photos, videos and documents should be directly accessible from Windows Explorer or equivalent.
That's my issue -- there shouldn't have to be a separate app for something so basic. But as an alternative and for self-comfort, I guess it would be ok to try.
 
I'm inclined to mistrust auto backup as I presume it's fundamentally a way to sell you cloud storage. And is this the hardware manufacturers storage or the operating system's storage or Google's storage or what?
When I used Windows Phone my photos automatically backed up to Microsoft's cloud. When I switched to Android I was, for quite a while, backing up 2 copies of every photo and i had no idea why.

Goes back further, to when i set up a Microsoft account, using my email address which happened to be a Google one. Consequently I sometimes face dialog boxes challenging me to log in to continue but giving no hint of whether it's MS or Google that want me to enter the appropriate password.
 
I saw an "Auto-backup" notice on my phone when glancing at it last night. I must have set it to On when perusing the settings. I still don't know where the information goes, and will have to follow that up.
Who is the notification from? Google? Samsung?
That's my issue -- there shouldn't have to be a separate app for something so basic. But as an alternative and for self-comfort, I guess it would be ok to try.
Well you can back up most files yourself manually.
 
I don't know. I don't even know if there was a good reason beyond 'I like what I have now and will assume that this will mean something I don't like'. I think Apple and it's userbase was behind a lot of it.
Probably because it was yet another cable that people needed to have.

I have devices I currently use that require mini-USB, micro-USB, USB C and Apple Lightning for charging. It's great that all the newest ones use the same connector, but it's going to quite a while before that's the only cable I need.
 
Probably because it was yet another cable that people needed to have.

I have devices I currently use that require mini-USB, micro-USB, USB C and Apple Lightning for charging. It's great that all the newest ones use the same connector, but it's going to quite a while before that's the only cable I need.

TBH I'm happy with two or three cables (no Apple and I can't think of many mini things I have left) rather than the plethora of propriatory ones I used to have, especially since a lot of non tech stuff is also using it. Eg my cordless screwdriver and I have a USB C powered guitar pedal supply rail.
 
Replacing the battery on a cell phone -- an effort fraught with peril. My phone is only about six years old. The battery should not be discharging so quickly already. The Samsung is notorious for being difficult to swap to a new battery.
Thank internets for YouTube videos. Anything that requires a heat gun to get it apart is tricky at best. Fortunately it went pretty well. I only fumbled and dropped ONE microscopic screw, and found it fairly easily. Got it all back together, no parts left over. And it still works!
 
For Android phones there is a built in app called "Android Switch" which makes it very easy to move all your data onto a new phone.

The app moves everything from the old to the new, either via cable or wifi.

Was pretty seamless for me.
 
Samsung has their own app as well, which does a reasonable job of copying everything including apps and their settings. Some apps can't be copied due to security policies; most backups would skip those apps as well.

EDIT: It is not a backup, though; only transfer.
 
Last edited:
For Android phones there is a built in app called "Android Switch" which makes it very easy to move all your data onto a new phone.

The app moves everything from the old to the new, either via cable or wifi.

Was pretty seamless for me.

Yes, it's a great feature if you're replacing the phone, not applicable to a pre-repair backup though.
 
Probably because it was yet another cable that people needed to have.

I have devices I currently use that require mini-USB, micro-USB, USB C and Apple Lightning for charging. It's great that all the newest ones use the same connector, but it's going to quite a while before that's the only cable I need.
While I have all these in my kit I own nothing that doesn't use USB-C.
And miniB was terminated in 2018, nothing should be using it other than decade old stuff.
 
While I have all these in my kit I own nothing that doesn't use USB-C.
And miniB was terminated in 2018, nothing should be using it other than decade old stuff.
Bicycle lights purchased in the last two years came with Mini-B. I'm guessing overstock from some factory in China, figured, use them for something. A bit like part of the whole internet of things was because low end chips got so cheap people figured why not use them in refrigerators?
 
A USB connector of your choice on a sub-postage-stamp size circuit board that will charge a single lithium battery is a basic part for cheap gadgets now.

I was trying to mend a USB-charged device, and discovered the chip I needed is one of a set of 3 that everyone uses for the same job. Trying to buy 1 chip, for a couple of pounds, I found it was even cheaper to buy a pack of ten little USB boards and salvage the one chip I needed.
 
You also have to balance the very minor inconvenience of a couple of different USB cables with the massive convenience and cost saving of not having to buy, change and dispose of actual seperate batteries. I'm really amazed by how quick the move away from them has happened. Off the top of my head I have AV remotes still that use AA, kitchen scales that use A cellsand a parking barrier on my drive that uses D cells (I have rechargeables) plus a few odds and ends using lithium pill batteries.
 
While I have all these in my kit I own nothing that doesn't use USB-C.
And miniB was terminated in 2018, nothing should be using it other than decade old stuff.
Good for you. The fact remains, I still have items, that are not likely to stop being useful soon, that use all those different connectors, plus one or two other non-standard ones. As ahhell says, some of them are bike lights, others are battery packs, camera battery chargers, etc. My Apple keyboards and mouse use Lightning connectors, although my latest iPad and Macbook use USB C, and I'm not about to replace them just because they don't have the latest connectors.
 
I think I'm down to one (semi) proprietory cable now, in everyday usage anyway, and that's the magnetic charging cable for my bone conduction headphones.

ETA: Two, I forgot the MS Surface tablet I'm typing on!
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom