None of the other mummies from the Atacama desert that I've seen look heavily lacquered. Do you know a naturally occurring case of a lacquered-looking desert-dried mummy? Unless you can show an example, I think I'll go with a prepared, lacquered fetus mummy, not a naturally dessicated one.
Fair enough. It's clearly a possibility. I just don't think it's a necessity. It could have been found that way, it could have been made by someone bored with the usual pickled punks, it could have been found and then treated to end up with that look. I suppose we could talk to the folks who make them from pigs if we wanted to know more about what different conditions do to the lil guys. I honestly haven't seen any human fetal mummies besides this one, just babies.
Some bones may even have been replaced with mature animal bones. We just don't know.
I'm gonna call that a stretch though.