• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Pronouns

No it isn't. Not unless you hold to the ridiculous position that you hold some sort of claim over someone else's pronoun.

Because they have asked you to.
You didn't do it either. For YEARS at this point. So if I'm a bastard, which is fair, I even put it in my name, SO ARE YOU. That's all I'm expecting you to finally admit, instead of sitting on your fake "progressive" high horse and decreeing who's a fascist from up high. Is all. Unless you're royalty, you don't get different standards than the rest of us.
 
Last edited:
And then the person says "I'm a 'he' " and the writer says "I don't believe you!" because they have a morbid terror of Cylons infiltrating the sexes or something. That's not been a thing for centuries.

Indeed, Cylons weren't a thing until the same evening as the signing of the Camp David Peace Accords.
 
It's the pronoun 'she' specifically. Because since *checks notes* she did NOT have an issue with forum management over pronouns, it's important to de-sex pronouns.
Is it, tho? I mean, to my butthole self, if she hasn't set any pronouns, there is no issue with calling a biological female a "she." Same as any other poster, really. If, to reverse it, someone always claimed to be a male, I'd call him a "he." It's what I would EXPECT you to do about myself. It's not a special rule for her, or anything.
 
Last edited:
You didn't do it either. So if I'm a bastard, which is fair, I even put it in my name, SO ARE YOU. That's all I'm expecting you to finally admit, instead of sitting on your fake "progressive" high horse and decreeing who's a fascist from up high. Is all. Unless you're royalty, you don't get different standards than the rest of us.
Excuse me? Who's decreeing what now?
 
Excuse me? Who's decreeing what now?
I'm not decreeing. I'm saying you're LITERALLY doing the textbook Double Standard Fallacy. You apply different standards to yourself than to others. You damn other persons for doing X, while doing the exact same X for YEARS now. On more than this topic, at that.

Yeah, no, I'm not going to accept fallacies from you, any more than I'd accept them from any other poster.

There, I'm addressing the arguments, not directly the poster.
 
Last edited:
I'm not decreeing. I'm saying you're LITERALLY doing the textbook Double Standard Fallacy. You apply different standards to yourself than to others. You damn one person for doing X, while doing the exact same X for YEARS now.
No, you're accusing me of "decreeing" other people (specifically, you, let's not beat around the bush) to be fascists. That's untrue and I would appreciate it if you would withdraw that statement.
 
No, you're accusing me of "decreeing" other people (specifically, you, let's not beat around the bush) to be fascists. That's untrue and I would appreciate it if you would withdraw that statement.
I mean, I'm happy to walk that back to just saying you've been using a textbook fallacy for years. Not my decree, but 2500 years old logic. Even the name for that particular situation comes from ANCIENT Greek. I'm OK with that. Does that satisfy you too?
 
Last edited:
I mean, I'm happy to walk that back to just saying you've been using a textbook fallacy for years. Not my decree, but 2500 years old logic. Even the name for that particular situation comes from ANCIENT Greek. I'm OK with that. Does that satisfy you too?
Not really, as I do not believe that I have been using that fallacy. I have been making my case with complete honesty. But okay.
 
I apologise. I must have missed it. Can you direct me to the post please?


There may be an answer to your questions somewhere here.

Perhaps not in this thread (and this may be complicated by this being a split thread)...

... but if you do a search for posts made by Emily's Cat and the term "gender neutral" you will find many posts where they make it quite clear, that, while their sex is female, they do not subscribe to gender roles, or feel that they personally have a gender, and prefer to always be referred to in gender neutral terms.

There appear to have also been requests for their preferred they/them/their pronouns to be added to their displayed avatar, and this has not been allowed, for reasons unknown.
 
Not really, as I do not believe that I have been using that fallacy. I have been making my case with complete honesty. But okay.
Well, of course you don't. It's just my personal judgment, same as any other post I've ever made, responding to any other poster. So, are you ok with me dropping the accusation of "accusing others to be fascist"? I mean, that's what you posted as a request, right? I'm just obeying that request.
 
By the way, in terms of she/he/her/him stuff...

Am I the only one who remembers frequent admonishments for referring to a 'present' person in a conversation by use of 'third party personal pronouns' ie. 'she' or 'he'?

Were members not taught: "SHE is the cat's mother." When they made the mistake of referring to a person, who is present, as 'she' ?

In terms of forum conversations, we are all present, all the time.
 
Well, of course you don't. It's just my personal judgment, same as any other post I've ever made, responding to any other poster. So, are you ok with me dropping the accusation of "accusing others to be fascist"? I mean, that's what you posted as a request, right? I'm just obeying that request.
Yes, I accept that.

Perhaps not in this thread (and this may be complicated by this being a split thread)...
I refer you to my necessarily vague post.
 
Is it, tho? I mean, to my butthole self, if she hasn't set any pronouns, there is no issue with calling a biological female a "she." Same as any other poster, really. If, to reverse it, someone always claimed to be a male, I'd call him a "he." It's what I would EXPECT you to do about myself. It's not a special rule for her, or anything.
Right and EC says that she does exactly that IRL. The part of my post you took the extra time to snip out pretty much addressed that tho. It's just a put-on, and a nonsensical one at that.
 
Last edited:
Right and EC says that she does exactly that IRL. The part of my post you took the extra time to snip out pretty much addressed that tho. It's just a put-on, and a nonsensical one at that.
It isn't, since your post was just a three line paragraph, and didn't (way I've read it,) conflict with what I was quoting. And I wasn't talking about what she's said or done IRL. You know, since I'm not just not talking to her directly, but I'm not even on the same CONTINENT. But I admit to being a bastard and not caring about her pronouns either way, RL or online. I practice exactly what I preach. Other people use double standards, and still think they're some kind of shining example of being "progressive."
 
If I cared to.
Not caring to is just a confession that you don't actually care about other people's pronoun preferences. Which I won't damn per se, since it's just what I do. But you still pretend to be some kind of "progressive" caring deeply about that thing. I self-admittedly don't. THAT is the difference. THAT is the double standards in your arguments.
 
Not caring to is just a confession that you don't actually care about other people's pronoun preferences.
No, that's not it at all. It's a statement that I don't feel like digging back through hundreds of historical posts to find something someone posted years ago. I don't think you'd be willing to do that, either.

Which I won't damn per se, since it's just what I do. But you still pretend to be some kind of "progressive" caring deeply about that thing. I self-admittedly don't. THAT is the difference. THAT is the double standards in your arguments.
I have repeatedly stated that I will follow Emily's Cat's request with regard to their pronouns. I was not aware that they had previously made a definitive statement about it when I asked. I think that demonstrates that I actually do care, even if I'm not willing to dig through hundreds of historical posts to find one specific statement that someone says that they made.
 
It isn't, since your post was just a three line paragraph, and didn't (way I've read it,) conflict with what I was quoting. And I wasn't talking about what she's said or done IRL. You know, since I'm not just not talking to her directly, but I'm not even on the same CONTINENT. But I admit to being a bastard and not caring about her pronouns either way, RL or online. I practice exactly what I preach. Other people use double standards, and still think they're some kind of shining example of being "progressive."
I get your point, but I don't think the people allegedly using a double standard are doing so.

Like, arthwollipot is a very pronoun-accommodating guy. I think we could agree there? And he has even said he would take a stab at what seemed to be the correct pronoun to address someone with, and apologize if corrected. Arthwollipot also acknoeledged that people sometimes slip or forget to use a preferred pronoun. He corrects himself and moves on.

Arthwollipot says he uses the intuitive pronouns too. Since EC identifies herself as female, the intuitive pronoun is she. If EC corrected him.in the past,he may have simply forgotten. Upon being reminded in this thread, he has apologized and used "they" as requested.

So none of that is a double standard, nor is it even an issue of standards at all. It's an issue of politeness and compliance with requested pronouns.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom