• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Pronouns

It's correct because it's mine to say that it's correct. Exactly like my name. It's mine to say that Andy is not my name. She/her is not my pronoun. It is incorrect. You don't get to decide that you'll just call me by a different name (nicknames aside), and you don't get to decide that you're going to call me by a different pronoun.
You don't stick explicitly with other people's names. There are many politicians, celebrities, and minor personalities where you take liberties and make up derogatory terms for them to use in lieu of their names. You make the decision to call some people by different - and often very intentionally demeaning - names on a regular basis.

From where I'm standing, it seems that you want to control how other people refer to you, but you want the freedom to refer to others however you please.
 
The only people in the world who can choose what to call me are my parents. And even then I have the legal right to change it if I want to.
No, they gave you a legal name to start you off on the identifying process, because you were busy mostly ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ your diaper and crying. You can keep it or change it, but that's entirely on you for legal identification, not the casual use of others.

I actually used to go through an interesting apropos variation of this. My legal name is the junior of my father's name. He abandoned my mother and I when I was 2yrs old. So, not wishing to be his junior, I took on a nickname that became so ubiquitous in documentation that a judge actually allowed attorneys to refer to me by that nickname on the record (as opposed to Mr Thermal, which is the custom). Use of the 100% legal name my parents had given me was causing so much identity confusion that it was determined it would be better to use my nickname.
 
Your next best option is that I attempt to never use pronouns in reference to you at all. But I guarantee that's going to be awkward and annoying for everyone else.
Using 'they' when it is not desired or even helpful is already awkward and annoying to everyone else.

You've said elsewhere that you use this because you were actioned for referring to a lone transwoman as 'he' against the members expressed request. You don't have that problem anymore, so you are just being theatrical for its own sake. Maybe just give it a ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ rest?

Eta: you know how you were actioned for refusing to use someone's expressed preference because you say you know better and will do the dictating? You're still ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ doing it.
 
Last edited:
Are you invoking second person pronouns without checking first that the referent prefers them, bigot?

Oh ◊◊◊◊, I just did the same thing. I guess we should go subscribe to That Thread in penance?

Eta: goddamn it, I just invoked a collective pronoun without taking a poll. There's no help for me... er, Thermal means there's no help for Thermal.
 
Last edited:
You don't stick explicitly with other people's names. There are many politicians, celebrities, and minor personalities where you take liberties and make up derogatory terms for them to use in lieu of their names. You make the decision to call some people by different - and often very intentionally demeaning - names on a regular basis.
I absolutely do not use derogatory names for anybody, and I am offended that you would suggest that I do.

If you have an example of me calling someone a derogatory name, where I'm not trying to be funny or ironic, then please show me.

From where I'm standing, it seems that you want to control how other people refer to you, but you want the freedom to refer to others however you please.
I absolutely hold myself to the same standard to which I hold others. If you have an example where I am not, then please show me.

Seems to me that you are using the specific pronoun you when you mean people in general. Is that the case?

And you're right - I can't control what people call me when they're not in my presence. But that's 100% completely irrelevant.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom