Liam
Thinker
- Joined
- Nov 22, 2007
- Messages
- 163
If I was British I wouldn't exactly jump for joy at having the worst bits of failed state Pakistan imported into my liberal democracy.
And indeed, many of us are not.
If I was British I wouldn't exactly jump for joy at having the worst bits of failed state Pakistan imported into my liberal democracy.
These include the English Defence League, who may well be described as insular, primitive and bizarre. However, beliefs are not nail bombs, and the EDL can believe anything they like, as long as they don't make it the occasion of violence. This goes for British Pakistanis too, if they are who you mean by "the worst bits of failed state Pakistan".... Britain seems to have rather large community of very insular people with very primitive and bizarre beliefs.
These include the English Defence League, who may well be described as insular, primitive and bizarre. However, beliefs are not nail bombs, and the EDL can believe anything they like, as long as they don't make it the occasion of violence. This goes for British Pakistanis too, if they are who you mean by "the worst bits of failed state Pakistan".
WTF is going through these guy's minds?
If you can rationalise this, so can others of the general population. In my home district it cannot be said that there is an endless stream of terrorist attempts, attacks and incidents, I feel obliged to state, though I live (perfectly peacefully) among the largest concentration of Muslims in Scotland. But yes there are bigots, and what goes through their minds I can't imagine.I was referring to a radical sub-set of Pakistanis in the UK.
I buy most of my junkfood from a British-Pakistani shop, and I heartily welcome them and their curry. (Shop situated across the street from an English pub. Now there's marketing smarts).
I'm very able to rationalise this and see that most Pakistanis aren't terrorists.
But when you get an endless stream of terrorist attempts, attacks, incidents coming from a specific group of immigrants who declare themselves enemies of the state they chose to emigrate to, how long will the general population be able to rationalise this?
Hopefully people will already have personal experience with Muslim neighbours, colleagues etc, to mitigate the extremely polarising effects.
WTF is going through these guy's minds?
If you can rationalise this, so can others of the general population. In my home district it cannot be said that there is an endless stream of terrorist attempts, attacks and incidents, I feel obliged to state, though I live (perfectly peacefully) among the largest concentration of Muslims in Scotland. But yes there are bigots, and what goes through their minds I can't imagine.
Presumably the same kind of stuff that has a minority of white youths joining the EDL or other racist groups.
You're disaffected, you aren't as well off, popular, good with girls, whatever as you want to be and you see that some of "them" are.
Somebody else tells you that it's the system and that the system favours "them". If only you could impose your system, the one that is fair to you then it'll all be OK. You can make a difference, you can be a hero (and be popular, successful, respected) if you take action.
On the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website there's an interesting article about that and radicalization in general: Radicalization- A Guide for the Perplexed - June 2009WTF is going through these guy's minds?
“Ordinariness” is a key factor in the domestic radicalization phenomenon. It is what permits apparently integrated, apparently nondescript individuals to become radicalized to the point that they cross the terrorist line, and then to plan and carry out terrorist acts, unnoticed until it is too late. There is no reason that Canadian born terrorists would not like Tim Horton’s doughnuts. It would be more surprising if they did not.
...snip...
Britain seems to have rather large community of very insular people with very primitive and bizarre beliefs.
...snip...