• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Onkel Adolf ist hundert einundzwanzig Jahre alt heute.

I keep on wondering what the mad arab wanted to tell us with this thread.

I think Abdul ( who I don't think is an Arab at all) simply likes to show oddities. Good on him. I like reading odd threads as a bit of relief from the heavier subjects
 
The thing is, most "s" in German compound words are not there due to grammar. They're "Fugen-S" (joint 's'), to make pronunciation simpler. There are no fixed rules for it, though textbooks usually do contain empirical lists where they show up and where not.

With this, as a native German speaker, I would use "Führertodestag", without "s". Most compounds where the first word ends with "-er" don't get a joint "s", except some special expressions that have historically developed them ("Hungersnot").

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that my primary school memories turn out to be slightly off. Tried running with scissors the other day and it worked just fine!

Since I fully intend to kick the bucket without once pandering to the Neue Deutsche Delfinschreibung, I have a checkered grammar compliance history anyway :)
 
[FONT=Georgia,Arial,Helvetica]The Measure of Greatness[/FONT]

http://www.thule-italia.net/devi/devi/library.flawlesslogic.com/measure.htm

Let's see...*click*

April 20 of this year [1989] is the 100th anniversary of the birth of the greatest man of our era -- a man who dared more and achieved more, who set his aim higher and climbed higher, who felt more deeply and stirred the souls of those around him more mightily, who was more closely attuned to the Life Force which permeates our cosmos and gives it meaning and purpose, and did more to serve that Life Force, than any other man of our times.


I missed Yoda's birthday? Damn.
 
Interesting, my spellchecker and I have a serious disagreement on compounding english words. It does not like it.
 
For the longest time, I thought " Bei mir bist du schoene " was "buy beer,mr. Shane"
 
At least German does not use the same words a Danish just with different meaning.

Like:
Bon, the paper slip from a cash register, In Swedish a hardon. Sounds a bit odd to ask for in a Swedish supermarked
Taske, a bag or purse in Danish. In Swedish a scrotum.
Stunt, a trick or stunt in Danish. In a Swedish a morning wood.
 
Ah, yes, April 20th, the day a being of unmittigated evil carved its way from a leathery shell to wreak havok on the world. 16 years ago, on that day, my monitor lizard Dante hatched. He got an extra helping of cat food and shrimp to celebrate living past the average monitor lifespan.

Okay, so you've got an immortal monitor Lizard named Dante which was born on Hitler's birthday. Big deal, doesn't everybody?
 
Like:
Bon, the paper slip from a cash register, In Swedish a hardon. Sounds a bit odd to ask for in a Swedish supermarked
Taske, a bag or purse in Danish. In Swedish a scrotum.
Stunt, a trick or stunt in Danish. In a Swedish a morning wood.
I don't know who you've talked to but I've never heard any of them. Maybe there are local variations though.

A stunt is a trick/stunt in Swedish too.

ETA: Task (no e) does mean penis, but I have yet to meet anyone using it.
 
Last edited:
I don't know who you've talked to but I've never heard any of them. Maybe there are local variations though.

A stunt is a trick/stunt in Swedish too.

ETA: Task (no e) does mean penis, but I have yet to meet anyone using it.

??
Well, it could be a Malmö dialect.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom