The guy on the picture looks a bit like the guy from Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant
The guy on the picture looks a bit like the guy from Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant
I keep on wondering what the mad arab wanted to tell us with this thread.
I'm pretty sure that were he capable, he would invade Poland.
Some say Germans never get it.![]()
Happy Führertodestag!
This is an old thread, but since it's already been bumped by someone else today, I might as well feel free to respond.
Could any native/fluent German speakers explain the rules for creating compound nouns? For example, der Todestag would be the day of someone's death. In conversation, you might say der Todestag des Führers. So would Führertodestag be correct, or would one say Führerstodestag? Are the components of the compound noun always kept in nominative?
I just want to say I love your avatar
Carry on! Gehen Sie weiter!
[/train wreck]
Why that - it's so much more fun compounding words.First off, common sense in compounds. Once you start to top seven syllables or so, you wouldn't usually construct one unless it's in ostentatiously formal written communication. By the time you've queued up the components and stuck them together in the right order, you can have 'em out as a user-friendly collection of fragments liberally interspersed with prepositions, which is definitely the preferred option!
(emphasis mine). I think you mean genitive. [/nitpick off]If you do end up constructing a compound, you would keep proper names in nominative and generic nouns in dative. As "Führer" in this case is a title, it would be "Führertodestag".
Vide the famous "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenanstecker": Steam boating (fixed compound term) particular to the Danube (proper name), the combination being generic (dative) applied to a captain's (dative) hat pin (fixed compound term).
It's one funny thing that, as a native speaker, you don't learn such things as grammatical rules. You just absorb the rules unconsciously as a toddler. You could refer the poster just to the Duden - I guess they have a whole volume dedicated to that.Or so I seem to remember. It's not as if one actually keeps a hold of the formal rules one learns in primary school, they just get kind of internalized...
First off, common sense in compounds. Once you start to top seven syllables or so, you wouldn't usually construct one unless it's in ostentatiously formal written communication. By the time you've queued up the components and stuck them together in the right order, you can have 'em out as a user-friendly collection of fragments liberally interspersed with prepositions, which is definitely the preferred option!
If you do end up constructing a compound, you would keep proper names in nominative and generic nouns in dative. As "Führer" in this case is a title, it would be "Führertodestag".
Vide the famous "Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenanstecker": Steam boating (fixed compound term) particular to the Danube (proper name), the combination being generic (dative) applied to a captain's (dative) hat pin (fixed compound term).
Or so I seem to remember. It's not as if one actually keeps a hold of the formal rules one learns in primary school, they just get kind of internalized...