That's de rigeur for American cops, I'm afraid. Something in the training or recruitment selects for the insecure bullies.
People tend to have an unconscious bias towards selecting individuals similar to themselves.
That's de rigeur for American cops, I'm afraid. Something in the training or recruitment selects for the insecure bullies.
In my experience with cops, and I have a fair amount of professional contact with them, is that people on power trips are attracted to the profession for that very reason. Then when they get there, they reinforce each other's power trips.People tend to have an unconscious bias towards selecting individuals similar to themselves.
Am I the only one finding it disturbing that there's such a thing as a "Police phlebotomist", who's supposedly trained to take blood?
The 'implied consent' thing is a bit wibbly wobbly too, though I suppose context matters.Am I the only one finding it disturbing that there's such a thing as a "Police phlebotomist", who's supposedly trained to take blood?
In my experience with cops, and I have a fair amount of professional contact with them, is that people on power trips are attracted to the profession for that very reason. Then when they get there, they reinforce each other's power trips.
Yeah, you're probably the only one. It makes a lot of sense to have a phlebotomist available (and it's not exactly a hard skill to learn) to take blood samples given both the dumb war on drugs and the smart war on DWIs.Am I the only one finding it disturbing that there's such a thing as a "Police phlebotomist", who's supposedly trained to take blood?
In this state, I think, "Implied Consent" basically means an admission of guilt if you don't do a breath test or give a blood sample. Could be wrong; I'll have to look it up.
Yeah, you're probably the only one. It makes a lot of sense to have a phlebotomist available (and it's not exactly a hard skill to learn) to take blood samples given both the dumb war on drugs and the smart war on DWIs.
What doesn't make sense is sending your police phlebotomist to the hospital to try taking blood from a patient. Even if said officer is smart, considerate, and observant of the law, it's just much easier to request (or compel via warrant, if necessary) a blood sample be provided by hospital personnel...and when a patient is injured and in the emergency room, it's possible or likely (depending on the injury) that they already have a sample available which can be split with the crime lab.
The police phlebotomist should be saved for taking blood samples from people in custody but not in the hospital.
Am I the only one finding it disturbing that there's such a thing as a "Police phlebotomist", who's supposedly trained to take blood?
What you're saying is nonsense. Having a nurse, or even a dedicated phlebotomist (much cheaper), on staff makes a lot less sense than having officers (who are already on duty) available to do this simple task when necessary.Gotta disagree. Cops should be (better) cops and do cop things. Medical personnel should do medical things.
And the cops shouldn't be "qualifying" rectal openings like this guy to stick needles in people.
Maybe, but it makes some sense. Bringing patients into the ED for a blood draw for DUI is more expensive than it needs to be.Am I the only one finding it disturbing that there's such a thing as a "Police phlebotomist", who's supposedly trained to take blood?
I agree.Yeah, you're probably the only one. It makes a lot of sense to have a phlebotomist available (and it's not exactly a hard skill to learn) to take blood samples given both the dumb war on drugs and the smart war on DWIs.
What doesn't make sense is sending your police phlebotomist to the hospital to try taking blood from a patient. Even if said officer is smart, considerate, and observant of the law, it's just much easier to request (or compel via warrant, if necessary) a blood sample be provided by hospital personnel...and when a patient is injured and in the emergency room, it's possible or likely (depending on the injury) that they already have a sample available which can be split with the crime lab.
The police phlebotomist should be saved for taking blood samples from people in custody but not in the hospital.
Back to cost effectiveness, I can attest to the pain in the ass it is for a nurse to go to court to testify you drew the blood, that's the blood you drew, from that defendant and that you didn't use an alcohol prep pad when your drew it. Wastes days sometimes if trials are postponed.My understanding is that it's a combination of chain-of-custody rules and sworn-officer rules. If a sworn officer draws the blood and initiates the chain of custody for that evidence, it has the desired legal strength. IANAL.
How long until these guys start paying attention to the internet and the trend of people posting videos of cops doing improper stuff, and realize they should cool it?
I think the hospital should press charges against the cop for harassing the staff and assaulting this specific nurse. I know that won't happen.