• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Nightline Debate: Does Satan Exist?

Time for an oldie?

Why Beer is Better than God
  • Beer has never caused a major war

Drunk Man: Oh yeah? You think yer better than me Mr. Fancy pants, "I'm the Archduke Ferdinand"? How about you come over here so I can... so I can kick yer assssssssssss.
 
Yes I have some very strong beliefs on this subject of mental illness. I know as a Christian we have three main enemies, 1.the world, 2.the flesh,and 3.the devil. These are the things everyone battles with but Christians are the ones that see we are in a spiritual battle in this world because the Lord reveals it to us. If you want to argue with him go ahead but I strongly advise against arguing with the creator of the heavens and earth. He's always right! The only way anyone wins this spiritual battle is through Christ who defeats the enemies of our souls. In Christ We have victory over evil and he will fight our battles for us. "I can do all things through Christ!" I hope you take this one to heart because I am telling you the truth and it's the truth that makes us free. Why do you think Christians say "Jesus Saves?"

Kathy, sometimes I feel sorry for you because it seems that you can't think for yourself. But when you say things like this, I truly despise you. To just ascribe my suffering and my Dad's suffering as a spiritual battle is repugnant.

When I was a little girl, I used to pray to god to kill me in my sleep --he didn't respond. Why didn't a loving god take me pain away? Why didn't he take my suffering away? I attened church, I sang in the choir, I prayed for relatives that I didn't even know. I was just a little girl. I've struggled with this all my life. It wasn't until I got on the appropriate medication that I could think clearly.

Why didn't 't your loving god take my pain away (which modern medicine has relieved)? Why doesn't your god take your back pain away? Why doesn't he prevent earthquakes, , hurricanes that destroyed New Oleans, tidal waves which killed thousands of innocent people. Where is your god? Your god seems very inattentive. There is no god, this are no demons, there is no devil. Bad things happen, we can be compassionate by helping them to the best of our ability. People who say "I'll pray for you" are taking the easy way out. They don't do anything. What are you doing, besides coming here and bleathing your judgemental religion to us?

Go away, preach to someone else, because we find your version of Christianity repugnant. It's not loving, it's not accepting, and it not forgiving. Original sin is BS. No one should be held to blame for what our ancestors did. That is just BS. I pity you for thinking people are inherently evil, that the world is bad, and that you eagerly anticipate the end of the world and the suffering of so many people. Your religion and your view on mental illness is not just ignorant, it's repugnant. I'm not beset by demons, I'm not with struggle with Satan. My brain chemistry is messed up, and my upbringing reinforced it. I don't know it, but I guess that you're upbringing lead you to your acceptance of the unthinking type of religion.

I encourage you to join the real world and accept that world is billions of years old and amazingly wonderful. Look at life, look at animals, look at trees, they all beautifully adapted to their environment. It's amazing and it doesn't require god.
 
It's sometimes so hard when she says mental illness is because of demons.
Because the real cause of mental illness is lack of vitamins according to Dr. Tom Cruise. ;)

Why do you think Christians say "Jesus Saves?"
Because he always backs up his hard drive?

Why Beer is Better than God

*They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves
In this case, minors except the Beer.
*No one will kill you for not buying Beer
Depends which bar that you go to.
*Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex

Depends on how drunk you are, and in this case it may not matter.
*When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
Again, depends on how drunk you are.
 
I meant face to face! The world needs to see Jesus in the real world

That would certainly clear a lot of things up. Given the fact that it's a fictional character, I won't hold my breath.

and in his disciples lives.

That would be nice, as long as they don't behave the way you do here ...



The problem I fear is there are not enough believers being properly taught or discipled.

Yes, indoctrination isn't what it used to be, too many people escape nowadays ...


Perhaps I'll move on and dedicate more time to this issue rather than try to convince a bunch of people who refuse to believe the truth of the Gospel!


Planning to write "Brainwashing the Unbelievers for Dummies" ?
 
Kathy, seriously, can you please think about your approach for a bit?

All of this forum does not like you. Seriously. They don't like your style, they aren't going to buy into your preaching, and you're not going to make any converts.

Doesn't this say anything to you? In a forum where so many disagree about so many things, almost all of them are united in opinion against you. Surely this says something to you, doesn't it?
 
Kathy, seriously, can you please think about your approach for a bit?

All of this forum does not like you. Seriously. They don't like your style, they aren't going to buy into your preaching, and you're not going to make any converts.

Doesn't this say anything to you? In a forum where so many disagree about so many things, almost all of them are united in opinion against you. Surely this says something to you, doesn't it?


Yes, that she's a martyr for the cause and that the more she's preaching to us, the more brownie points she's accruing ... :D
 
Yes, that she's a martyr for the cause and that the more she's preaching to us, the more brownie points she's accruing ... :D
Plus she gets to go back and tell her congregation how she tried to spread the word of Jesus among the heathen savages and suffered horrible insults for it.

'Course in the old days, you got eaten by a cannibal. Missionary work ain't what it used to be.
 
I know as a Christian we have three main enemies; 1. the world, 2. the flesh, and 3. the devil.



Those 3 "enemies" cast a big net.
You're essentially afraid of the whole frickin' world.
Sounds horrible. Why would anyone want to live their life fearing reality, when there is so much incredible stuff to be learned from it?



Kathy, for all your ranting about how you KNOW your religion is the right one, has it ever occurred to you that there are people in other religions who KNOW, equally strongly, that theirs is the right religion?

How do you contend with them? The Muslims, the Sikhs, the Catholics, the Jews, Hindus, and so-on.
How do you deal with the concept that other people think theirs is the only true religion, known to them by divine revelation?



For the record: I don't KNOW that atheism is correct. I just base my views on the evidence I see. Or rather, the utter lack of reliable evidence for any one religion over another, or any sort of god at all.
 
These are the things everyone battles with but Christians are the ones that see we are in a spiritual battle in this world because the Lord reveals it to us.

Once again, Kathy, you make an appeal to having special insight from God.

If God can "reveal it" to you, why doesn't he reveal it to us? More to the point, why are we to be blamed if he doesn't?

And if God won't reveal it to us (which he obviously hasn't) then why do you waste your time trying to convince us? As I have said before, shouldn't you spend your time asking your God to provide us with the special revelation that you received? Until he does, you are wasting your time.

This is evident even from your own comments. You cannot convert us - that is up to God.
 
Because faith makes people stupid. Faith makes you stop looking. Faith makes you believe you have answers you don't have.

You are an example of someone without one ounce of inquisiveness, just closed minded faith. A book burner, a liar and someone who claims some "truth" without one bit of intelligence behind that claim.
No you are very wrong. Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."
 
No you are very wrong. Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

Why would the son of man have to seek? Didn't his father know already? Doesn't he know everything?
 
Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Faith, which is belief without evidence, can provide emotional benefit, especially when the thing that is believed gives the believer comfort. But the emotional benefits of faith are certainly not unique to Christianity. Adherents of virtually every religious belief system in human history have reported the same feelings of comfort and assurance. You offer your feelings of certainty as evidence of the veracity of your beliefs, yet I hear the same thing from Muslims, Hindus and Scientologists. Your certainty in your beliefs is a consequence of your refusal to entertain uncertainty regarding your beliefs.

Then there's the fact that I, and many others, lack your faith yet still have the strength to go on each day. In fact, for me personally, I'm rather enthusiastic about going on with my life. I lack faith and yet I am happy.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."
He isn't seeking very hard. Just imagine how many more people would be saved if Jesus would just make an appearance and demonstrate the truth of Christianity to the world. But instead Jesus confuses the world by offering nothing to verify Christianity beyond what is offered by the other religions you deride as false. How many Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists etcetera will be cast into Hell because they chose to believe in the wrong set of evidenced beliefs?
 
No you are very wrong. Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

edited. waste of time.
 
Last edited:
No you are very wrong. Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."
No. Faith gives you false relief and false answers. It leads to you believing you have some answers when you have none. It gives you false relief and false confidence.

Blindly walking forward based solely on faith without any or ignoring evidence is a sure sign that faith robs people of the ability to think and leads to harm.
 
No you are very wrong. Faith gives you the strength each day to keep going while at the same time healthier boundaries on what godly living is suppose to be.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

No. YOU are WRONG!! Your sick version of faith nearly drove me to suicide. It was all I deserved as a worthless, sinful wretch, and a female one at that. Better that I remove myself from the world to atone for Eve's sin.

It was only after I turned my back on empty faith that I came to realize that I did, indeed, have something of value to add to this world. So I sought help in science and found medication and counseling that helped me accept myself the way I am and gave me the strength to improve what I could.

And now I am happy with life in general (my own is a little rough right now, but it's fixable). And I don't have to feel guilty about that any more. I've thrown off the suffocating yoke of your religion and am now free to do what I can to try to help others who are worse off than me. I don't HAVE to do anything. But I can. And easing another's suffering spreads more joy than all your empty bleating ever will.

So take your fear and cruelty and hatred somewhere else. Because that's all you're showing us, and we're not buying your lies. You lose.

Goodbye, and good riddance.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom