tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Aug 8, 2008
- Messages
- 18,095
Ok, serious possibly stupid question here about patchium... I mean, ununpentium.
When you're creating the stuff, and it decays so quickly, how do you know that you've created an actual atom? Couldn't what they're seeing be just byproducts of the impact of the two atoms they slammed together?
I'm surprised that this hasn't been answered yet and I hope someone more knowledgeable will correct my inevitable mistakes.
They're using two elements for which the decay products are known. Not only are these decay products the elements into which they decay, but radiation given off by the decay. These would be detected commonly throughout the bombardment. (I believe they were bombarding Americium with another element.) The combined decay products known did not match all the combined decay products actually produced. For example, the alph rays and x ray signature of the products didn't match the known ones. If I remember correctly x ray signature for most elements is very distinct and can't simply be combined to produce the same signature as another element. Two hydrogen signatures don't produce the same signature as helium for example. This same concept is one way to identify the composition of materials from a distance.
Now that I've gotten it wrong, someone will be along to correct me.
