• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

New death penalty study claims deterrence effect in Texas

Cain said:
Aside from the fact that argument by anecdote isn't very useful, in this example her thinking wasn't very clear if that was the reasoning. If she killed the dude in Arkansas she wouldn't have been tried for the murder in Texas, no matter where she was apprehended.

Hmmmmm... now that you mention it, I think the reason she refused to go to Texas was because she had been raped there. I forget, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure Louise was the smart one.

I thought that second post made it too obvious

Something sounds a little wrong about this anecdote. Please correct me if I'm wrong but each of Arkansas, Texas, and Arizona have the death penalty.

Why avoid Texas only to drive into another jurisdiction which also punishes you with lethal injection?

Perhaps the anecdote illustrates instead that criminals are dumb. Anyone have the t stats on that?

But I was wrong.

The first post got me too, except it sounded unlike a normal Cain post, so I nominated it.
 
I thought that second post made it too obvious



But I was wrong.

The first post got me too, except it sounded unlike a normal Cain post, so I nominated it.


I never would have gotten it without the second post, and only because the movie title has become such a catchphrase. I haven't watched the movie.

Wiki was my friend, with the hint. :)
 
I don't really understand this. I found this

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2008



Is it not right?

Thanks for pointing this out! The statistical abstract of the census is odd in that they change their data, even for prior years. So, if you go back today to look up 2007 data you *might* get a different number then if you went back this May to look the same value up.

That said, the best way to calculate this would be to take a mean or moving average over the last 5 years or so. I didn't bother doing this. I will check my data file, but I believe at the time I coded I used 2007 values.

I could check too, but I'd bet the correlations across the 50 us states for whatever short time periods one picks would be above .85.
 
I noted that your locations lists Bath (I assume that is Bath, England, not Bath, Bubble).


Correct. :)

As somebody who actually voted in the 1992 election, I have to say WTF? I don't even remember this as an issue in the campaign. Even so, from the link you provided it appears as if the issue was Clinton making a point to attend the execution during the campaign, not that the execution was performed to help Clinton's run for president

Obviously I have no first-hand experience of that election, but if Clinton made a point of attending the execution, he must have felt it would be advantageous to do so. No one's suggesting 'the execution was performed to help Clinton's run for president', but we can see how public opinion might make a governor reluctant to reprieve a condemned criminal.
 
Last edited:
Obviously I have no first-hand experience of that election, but if Clinton made a point of attending the execution, he must have felt it would be advantageous to do so. No one's suggesting 'the execution was performed to help Clinton's run for president', but we can see how public opinion might make a governor reluctant to reprieve a condemned criminal.

Agreed, but even that is a far cry from the claim.
The Fool said:
you execute people to get politicians elected.
 
It appears to be the case in America, where no one wants to be the guy who's soft on crime. Check out the case of Ricky Ray Rector and its alleged role in the 1992 presidential election.

I understand that no politician wants to appear to be soft on crime. But when you punch your ticket or pull your lever are you really ignoring everything else?

Are poll respondents lying when they answer that capital punishment is not an important issue?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom