The Shrike
Philosopher
This woman speaks broken English and is in the English Department?
"Oh yeah? I am for the complete Trantorization of Earth. Record the genetics of other species -- tag 'em and bag 'em -- and let's get on with dominating the universe."
This woman speaks broken English and is in the English Department?
I assume students are all asked to fill out course and instructor evaluation forms at the end of the semester?
Well, is he still alive?![]()
Doesn't sound that much different to some postmodernist anthropology lecturers I had in the past. There was one who told us that the seats we were sitting in don't actually exist but were constructed through collective discourse.
I've actually thought of getting my cousin to do a talk at SkeptiCamp about how Black skeptics deal with these cultural urban legends.
Aside from the genocide plots, there are thousands of much more mundane myths. One example is the widespread belief that Tommy Hilfiger doesn't want black people to wear his clothes. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this was started by a competing clothing company (a la AMWAY vs Proctor & Gamble). But there's no getting this myth back into the bottle.
Anyway, there are plenty of black people who know this stuff is bunk, but I think that it's more difficult to debunk ethnic myths from within the culture in question.