• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Moon Hoax conspiracy

Ah, but which one would you have preferred to personally participate in?

Tough question, actually...
"Hard" question, actually.

Marilu and I split the difference and watched the landing during, and then continued watching through the post-coital cigarettes.
 
"Hard" question, actually.

Marilu and I split the difference and watched the landing during, and then continued watching through the post-coital cigarettes.

Hmm, that may explain why, when she and I got together, she recited Armstrong's "that's one small step" speech.

Only come to think of it, I'm not sure she said "step"...
 
Hmm, that may explain why, when she and I got together, she recited Armstrong's "that's one small step" speech.

Only come to think of it, I'm not sure she said "step"...
See? That's why I dumped her. After the fireworks and the Moon landing and the smokerinos, I said: Yer outta here!

And called her a Taxi.
(To which she replied: Okay, so I'm a Taxi!)
 
Wow, the "Moon Hoax"...

Well, for what it's worth, let me chime in with my own account of "Moon Hoax" belief and skepticism.

Years ago, I obtained a copy of Bill Kaysing's book about the "Moon Hoax". This was years before the popularity of the World Wide Web, so fringe notions were still confined to books, magazines, and 'zines. I liked the book mostly on the grounds that it was fringe and esoteric. I was a big Loompanics fan in those years too... I thought Kaysing's notions were not really supportable, and his thinking didn't make much of an impact on me.

In 2000 or 2001 I read an issue of Fortean Times which had a good article, complete with color photographs, about the "Moon Hoax". This time around, I found myself damn near convinced... At least insofar as I was willing to entertain the notion that NASA had faked certain photographs to "pad" the PR element of the moon landing. I never really doubted that we went to the moon, only that maybe NASA might have faked some photographs. The whole "perspective" and "shadow" arguments really had me going there for a while...

Eventually I found one of the early skeptical rebuttal websites that explained the true nature of the photographs in detail. With a rather large degree of chagrin, I will publicly admit that I bought into elements of the "moon hoax" for a while there.

What do I take away from this little episode?

1. Photographs, on the surface, can have a strong and immediate appeal, especially if a particular interpretation is included with them. Obviously, the authors of the Fortean Times article didn't include any explanations about irregular terrain, or proper perspective.

2. Skepticism almost always lags behind specific claims. If I remember my history from 6 or 7 years ago, it took a bit of time before some of the skeptical websites were created.

3. It's rather intellectually dangerous to only listen to one side of a controversial debate.

4. Eventually, when the "Moon Hoax" claims are shown repeatedly and definitively to be bogus, you begin to wonder how anyone could have taken this stuff seriously in the first place. This is why I describe my former belief system with the term "chagrin".

5. With the Internet and effective search engines, one can cut to the chase rather quickly. You don't have to wait years before stumbling across an effective rebuttal in a book or magazine to some of these far-fetched claims.
Before it goes too far down the memory hole, I'd like to remind people of how quickly the distributed intellegence of various Internet bloggers debunked the bogus documents that Dan Rather and CBS news claimed were real some time back. That could simply not have taken place prior to the World Wide Web.

6. I'm very glad to see Internet based organized skepticism, like that of this JREF board, refuse to allow cranks and crackpots to go unchallenged.

7. I really liked Space Food Sticks, and was very sorry to see them go...
 
I would have rather watched the latter.
I would have too! I forgot to add she lost it in a shower. I can remember a Johnny Carson show years ago where she was a guest. Out of the blue the question came up where were you during the moon landing? Marilu thought she had been set up and could not believe she was asked this and then asked johnny "Who put you up to this?". Johnny was surprised at her reaction to this seemingly innocent question and pressed her for the answer. To everyones surprise she came out on air and admitted that she was in a shower losing her virginity. To her surprise she wasn't set up on the show at all. She just fell into it. :o
 
I would have too! I forgot to add she lost it in a shower. I can remember a Johnny Carson show years ago where she was a guest. Out of the blue the question came up where were you during the moon landing? Marilu thought she had been set up and could not believe she was asked this and then asked johnny "Who put you up to this?". Johnny was surprised at her reaction to this seemingly innocent question and pressed her for the answer. To everyones surprise she came out on air and admitted that she was in a shower losing her virginity. To her surprise she wasn't set up on the show at all. She just fell into it. :o
My guess is that she was set up for that question. Somebody wised up Carson beforehand, suggested he ask that question. Educated guess, but look at Carson. Magician since he was a kid. Aspired to be an actor. In show business for years and years. Smart as a whip. And absolutely expert at doing the old seemingly innocent "Who, me?!?" routine on his show.

Which is fine. Johnny Carson was God, we all know this.

As for the shower, I was just trying to help Marilu, being a gentleman and all. She got her toe stuck in the drain. I helped free her. One thing led to another, and not only did I free her from the dreaded drain, but from the 1960s stigma of virginity.
 
My guess is that she was set up for that question. Somebody wised up Carson beforehand, suggested he ask that question. Educated guess, but look at Carson. Magician since he was a kid. Aspired to be an actor. In show business for years and years. Smart as a whip. And absolutely expert at doing the old seemingly innocent "Who, me?!?" routine on his show.

Which is fine. Johnny Carson was God, we all know this.

As for the shower, I was just trying to help Marilu, being a gentleman and all. She got her toe stuck in the drain. I helped free her. One thing led to another, and not only did I free her from the dreaded drain, but from the 1960s stigma of virginity.
the real question is how were you watching the moon landing during if you were in the shower? :p

ConspiRaider said:
Marilu and I split the difference and watched the landing during, and then continued watching through the post-coital cigarettes.
 
the real question is how were you watching the moon landing during if you were in the shower? :p
Mirrors. Like, lots of them. Marilu was into mirrors and I couldn't find fault with that idiosyncrasy. Actually I couldn't find fault with anything whatsoever, Marilu-related.

Which is why I dumped her (or she dumped me?).

"I am not your Perfect-Woman! Get Out! Quit fogging up my mirrors! And call me a Taxi!"
 
I notice that the creator of this thread has altered their identity from the mundane "ERichardson" to "TraitorBasher"
Should we quiver in fear, or frown in puzzlement?
 
I had no idea who this Henner person is, so I used the googles to find out and look what it says on Wiki:
wiki said:
Several years ago, during an interview on the late-night NBC program Later, she revealed that she can remember what she did on any given date in the past. When the host, Bob Costas randomly chose the night that Neil Armstrong landed on the moon she was briefly dumbstruck before revealing that she had lost her virginity that night in the shower

So either she used the same story on several different shows, or some one here is LYING!!!1211!!! about Johnny Carson or Wiki is wrong....

Which is it hmmm?
 
Brainache! Marilu Henner, aka "Hotlips" from "MASH". How could you not - oh I dunno the youth of today ...
Comsat Angel! Marilu Henner, aka "Elaine Nardo" from "Taxi". "hotlips" was played by Loretta Swit (on TV) and Sally Kellerman (the film). I dunno the youth of yore... :)
 
I never watched Taxi. Never saw that Burt Reynolds show. Never saw any of the movies she was in(except Man On The Moon). The name was vaguely familiar, but no way could I put a face to it.

I'm sure I'd heard reference to her somewhere, but for some reason I thought she was an Ice Skater.
 
I'm sure I'd heard reference to her somewhere, but for some reason I thought she was an Ice Skater.

Now you're thinking of Marilu Retton, who is a gymnast.

And Burt Reynolds wasn't in Taxi!

ETA: Ann Henning was a figure skater.
 
Last edited:
Just so I can add to this derail:
Marilu Henner was also in Johnny Dangerously.

"You got fire vim and those...I like those on a woman."
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom