RMackey kindly offered to answer any questions I had. He is a NASA scientist and I respect that. I have asked him 2 questions which I have not seen addressed anywhere. I am waiting for his answers. I couldn't care less how you answer them.
You shouldn't hesitate to accept help from other people. There are very,
very many knowledgeable people here.
Why are the shadows on photographs convergent? Why are the astronauts illuminated when in the suns shadow?
These two questions are addressed directly at the
Moonbase Clavius website,
here and
here.
In plain English, the convergent shadow thing is hardly surprising -- you only expect parallel shadows if the background is flat and level. There are two effects at play. The first is that, because the shadow hits the ground at an angle, the "height" of the shadow is exaggerated, and it distorts the shape of the object unless it's completely vertical. The second effect, as others have already pointed out, is that the shadow direction is greatly affected by local terrain. Hills and slopes will seem to "bend" shadows. All of the Apollo landings occurred in hilly areas.
You can see this effect for yourself, just by walking around. Observe your shadow relative to other objects, like buildings, signs, trees, etc. Depending on the local slopes, shadows will either seem to converge or diverge. It's completely normal, and it's something that you've probably seen every single day of your life, unless you live in Nebraska. Those who claim otherwise are simply out of touch with reality.
Now for the "lit in shadow" effect, there's two important factors. First, none of the shadows are completely dark, because there are reflections from hills, from the gold-plated reflective LEM, and from Earthshine. You'll notice that in your daily life, completely black shadows are extremely unusual. So it goes on the Moon as well.
Second, recall that you're looking at photographs. Photographs do not look exactly the same as we perceive through our eyes. Depending on how the film is exposed and printed, the photo may accentuate shadows or bring out objects in low light. Also, many of the objects are photographed against the true black background of space, which in turn enhances their contrast. If you've ever taken a photograph of your own, you've probably experienced disappointing results where objects are washed out or bland compared to what you expected. Photos can have a "flattening" effect that brings out things that we'd expect to be darker.
If you have further questions, please go ahead and ask. However, before you do, I ask that you confirm that you understand the discussion above, and the
radiation question I explained earlier. I'm perfectly capable and willing to work through this with you, but it's important to concentrate on a single issue at a time. If we jump to another topic before solving these, we'll never work through the confusion.