godless dave
Great Dalmuti
- Joined
- Jul 25, 2007
- Messages
- 8,266
Do soul-crushingly bad movies count as evidence for the existence of souls?
...To expand slightly on that thought; is it possible that your parents could have given birth to Nelson Mandela? If not, then the number of possible outcomes is less than infinity, now isn't it?
If yes, then I have some supplementary questions for you. ...
Dave,
- I think that the appropriate terminology here would be that 2 sets of identical chemistry produce different results. OK?
Dave,
- I don't think they should be called identical -- they have different selves.
Intrinsically?I like analogies. Should we have another analogy? I think we should.
Let's say you have a blueprint for a Volkswagen Beetle. The factory in Wolfsburg uses that blueprint to build two identical Beetles. Everything about them is identical. For the sake of this analogy, let's pretend they don't have any VIN numbers stamped anywhere on them, so they are exactly identical.
How many Beetles do we have? Two.
They both roll off the assembly line. A Volkswagen employee starts each one. Now each one has a running engine. A running automobile engine puts off an electromagnetic field.
How many electromagnetic fields do you think we have?
Cheers. Will have to watch that.
Honestly I wouldn't bother. Not even Scarlett Johansson spending most of her screen time wearing a basque can make the film anything other than tedious.
Dave,
- I think that the appropriate terminology here would be that 2 sets of identical chemistry produce different results. OK?
Dave,
- I don't think they should be called identical -- they have different selves.
Are two Volkswagen Beetles idientical if they are from the same model year, are made to the same specifications, and painted the same color?
Dave,
- I don't think they should be called identical -- they have different selves.
Dave,
- I think that the appropriate terminology here would be that 2 sets of identical chemistry produce different results. OK?
No. You are saying they are different (i.e. not alike) when the premise put forth is that they are identical (alike). What they are is identical but separate. Two sets of identical chemistry would produce two sets of identical selves. These two identical selves are separate, they are not linked in any way.
Edit: To clarify, "identical chemistry" is meant here to mean 100% identical down to an atomic level (only possible as a thought experiment). As Giordano correctly states above me, identical DNA does not result in identical chemistry. Identical twins are not the same down to the atomic level.
How bizarre that such things have to be pointed out to someone apparently with a deep interest in this topic.
Do soul-crushingly bad movies count as evidence for the existence of souls?
What a shame given the basic story's potential.
How bizarre that such things have to be pointed out to someone apparently with a deep interest in this topic.
I'm not sure it is an interest in this topic, so much as an interest in proving a particular theory correct. I think someone once said that denying a fact is easy if continuing one's employment depends on that denial. It may be the same in terms of theories instead of jobs.
I find myself a little more easy going now that this thread is in Religion instead of Science. But if I were Jappa I would think more about the implications of that change, and stop trying to distort or misunderstand science to "prove" his points.
My thoughts on the self were dramatically affected a number of years ago when I had to go in for a (minor) surgery. It involved general anesthesia, the kind where you are instructed to count backwards, slowly, from 10, and an entire chunk of your life is completely missing. Although most people refer to sleeping as "losing consciousness", it is nothing at all like that experience. Even while asleep, your brain is doing self-tasks and maintenance. When you are put under, "you" no longer exist. At all. It is a creepy feeling, but it really does bring home the fact that "you" are a fragile process, and completely dependent on that hunk of meat between your ears.
- If I understand your question, yes. But, I assume that you would agree that perfectly replicated human embryos would not be identical, in that they would not have identical selves -- even if we were able to give them identical environments till consciousness emerged.Are two Volkswagen Beetles idientical if they are from the same model year, are made to the same specifications, and painted the same color?