Slowvehicle
Membership Drive , Co-Ordinator,, Russell's Antin
- I'm trying to keep as narrow a focus as possible. Currently, I'm trying to show that the likelihood of my current existence, given A, is 1/∞. Even more narrowly, I'm trying to show why science would consider the amount of potential selves (the denominator in the function) to be infinite.
- Giordano, in my understanding of his point, was saying that such could not be the case since the probability of my current existence, given that I currently exist, is 1.00. I wanted to explain why such a fact has nothing to do with the logic of my claim.
(- I also figured that it was easier to address than what might be more substantive issues...)
Good Morning, Mr. Savage:
Do you, in fact, exist?
If you, in fact, exist, the probability of your existence, (given that you exist) is 1 (one).
If it could be demonstrated that the probability of your existence, before you, personally, were demonstrated to exist, was, in fact, "1/∞", congratulations would be in order, as you would have proved that there was no chance (not "virtually no chance", not "effectively no chance", not "a really really really really small chance") of your existing.
You're still trying to set up a situation where you can claim that observed reality is so unlikely that your assumed consequent must be more likely than observed reality.
Why not just present the practical, empirical, objective evidence you have that consciousness is something other than an emergent process, a side-effect, of a neurosystem?
- Your previous post (below) might have been more substantive, but the second part is much more difficult to effectively respond to than someone not using the appropriate facts in the logic. I will try to explain why it seems to me that scientists in the field would perceive potential selves to be infinite, but I doubt that I'll be able to find anyone addressing that issue.
- Though not to worry, that will be my next attempt.
I thought you agreed there was no "pool" of potential selves. If the "self" (consciousness/soul/atman/πνεῦμα/נֶפֶשׁ/whatever-new-age-buzzword) is an emergent property of a neurosystem, then the number of potential selves is, in fact, limited and not infinite.
...unless you have evidence that you are referring to something other than an emergent property of a neurosystem.
Last edited: