Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
I've been enjoying your work here and elsewhere too, Garrette.
Garrette, you'll always be a genius to me. [qimg]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hello/hat-tip-smiley-emoticon.gif[/qimg]
Thanks, but I hope it's apparent I was joking and not really looking for praise. I think I tend to do okay in this kind of thread, but when it comes to expert dissection of claims such as Jabba's, I gladly take a back seat to the masters.I've been enjoying your work here and elsewhere too, Garrette.
This comment has helped me grasp some earlier posts I did not fully follow. It might have been you who posted them, but I can't find them now.
Short version of those posts was that it appears that Jabba is actually proving he is less likely to be immortal than not, though Jabba does not realize that.
Short version of my equationification of that statement:
Premise 1: A = the Standard Model = finite potential selves
Premise 2: ~A = any other scenario = infinite potential selves
P(Jabba Existing | A) > P(Jabba Existing | ~A), simply by definition
(I wouldn't expect to pass a real stats course with the above, but you get my drift)
I agree with both parts of your comment. I simply had not fully grasped what was said before. (Hence my occupation of the back seat and not the front)I am pretty sure this was said upthread. I am 100% sure it was subsequently ignored by Jabba.
Thank you. That helps a little. But what about all these other smarty-pants around here, huh? What about Slowvehicle and his sciencey degree-ification? What about Akhenaten and all his wisdom-of-the-ages and his Mad Computer Skilz? What about everybody else on this thread?
Do they acknowledge my geniusosity? Do they ever kow-tow or bow and scrape? Oh, no. I'm not gooood enough for the likes o' them.
Here I have it on highest authority (Jabba - best man in the fight) that I'm special, but not a one of those ingrates acknowledges it.
Harumph.

Finally! Someone who appreciates me and provides me with the luxurious lifestyle I so richly deserve.
Thanks, but I hope it's apparent I was joking and not really looking for praise. I think I tend to do okay in this kind of thread, but when it comes to expert dissection of claims such as Jabba's, I gladly take a back seat to the masters.
Before I read the image name, I thought you were trying to say he's staring at defeat.
- In that sense, there is no pool. We are brand new; created out of thin air, so to speak; and as such, our potential numbers are infinite. Would you agree with that?If you're going to look at our selves as coming from a pool, the pool is, at any given time, the number of organisms that can reproduce and the chemicals necessary for them to do so. That pool is finite.
- In that sense, there is no pool. We are brand new; created out of thin air, so to speak; and as such, our potential numbers are infinite. Would you agree with that?
That pool is finite.
the number of "observers" is still limited by:
- The available material to make them out of.
- The preceding events required to make one.
At any given point in time, there are only a finite number of potential selves. Let's take me for an example. In October, 1969, which is roughly when I was conceived, there were a finite number of fertile human beings. There were only a finite number of potential mating pairs, and each had only a finite number of sperm and eggs that could meet, in a finite number of combinations.
Only one of those combinations would result in me. There was a large number of potential alternatives - my parents could have had intercourse a few minutes earlier, or a few minutes later, or not at all, or one or both of them could have even had intercourse with someone else. It was a large number, but not an infinite number.
Even with cloning, there is only a finite amount of genetic material to work with, and finite resources that an organism needs to grow.
- In that sense, there is no pool. We are brand new; created out of thin air, so to speak; and as such, our potential numbers are infinite. Would you agree with that?
Your little thought experiment is riddled with claims and no proof, and it continues to ignore that it is not the Standard Model that you claim is the parameter. The Standard Model has consciousness as an emergent property, and is not "brand new, created out of think air." That's just your wishful ignorance talking.- I suspect that I should be trying to describe two kinds of finiteness, rather than two kinds of infinity…
- The number of possible hands in a game of Texas Poker is finite. The number of possible combinations in the Lottery is also finite. That’s because the cards in our hand and the numbers on our ticket are drawn from a limited pool of possibilities. I’ll call this intrinsic finiteness.
- I suggest that such is not the case for the number of possible selves – that any limitation on the number of possible selves is due to limits in external factors such as matter, energy and time. I’ll call that extrinsic finiteness; and in that sense, the number of possible selves is infinite.
- The same is true for the number of different potential Volkswagons.
- Then, I claim that extrinsic finiteness is intrinsic infinite.
- Then, I claim that this latter is the sense that applies to the number of potential selves.
- There is no intrinsic finiteness attached to the number of potential selves.
- There is no preceding set of potential selves; and in that sense, each new self comes out of “thin air,” and each new self is a brand new creation. There is no limit to thin air, and there is no preceding existence -- of any kind – for actualized selves…
- I’m claiming that such should be the scientific conclusion.
- In that sense, there is no pool. We are brand new; created out of thin air, so to speak; and as such, our potential numbers are infinite. Would you agree with that?
- In that sense, there is no pool. We are brand new; created out of thin air, so to speak; and as such, our potential numbers are infinite. Would you agree with that?
- The number of possible hands in a game of Texas Poker is finite. The number of possible combinations in the Lottery is also finite. That’s because the cards in our hand and the numbers on our ticket are drawn from a limited pool of possibilities. I’ll call this intrinsic finiteness.
- I suggest that such is not the case for the number of possible selves – that any limitation on the number of possible selves is due to limits in external factors such as matter, energy and time. I’ll call that extrinsic finiteness; and in that sense, the number of possible selves is infinite.
- Then, I claim that extrinsic finiteness is intrinsic infinite.
- There is no preceding set of potential selves; and in that sense, each new self comes out of “thin air,” and each new self is a brand new creation. There is no limit to thin air, and there is no preceding existence -- of any kind – for actualized selves…
- I’m claiming that such should be the scientific conclusion.
No. Just no.- I suspect that I should be trying to describe two kinds of finiteness, rather than two kinds of infinity…
- The number of possible hands in a game of Texas Poker is finite. The number of possible combinations in the Lottery is also finite. That’s because the cards in our hand and the numbers on our ticket are drawn from a limited pool of possibilities. I’ll call this intrinsic finiteness.
- I suggest that such is not the case for the number of possible selves – that any limitation on the number of possible selves is due to limits in external factors such as matter, energy and time. I’ll call that extrinsic finiteness; and in that sense, the number of possible selves is infinite.
- The same is true for the number of different potential Volkswagons.
- Then, I claim that extrinsic finiteness is intrinsic infinite.
- Then, I claim that this latter is the sense that applies to the number of potential selves.
- There is no intrinsic finiteness attached to the number of potential selves.
- There is no preceding set of potential selves; and in that sense, each new self comes out of “thin air,” and each new self is a brand new creation. There is no limit to thin air, and there is no preceding existence -- of any kind – for actualized selves…
- I’m claiming that such should be the scientific conclusion.
- I suspect that I should be trying to describe two kinds of finiteness, rather than two kinds of infinity…
- The number of possible hands in a game of Texas Poker is finite. The number of possible combinations in the Lottery is also finite. That’s because the cards in our hand and the numbers on our ticket are drawn from a limited pool of possibilities. I’ll call this intrinsic finiteness.
- I suggest that such is not the case for the number of possible selves – that any limitation on the number of possible selves is due to limits in external factors such as matter, energy and time. I’ll call that extrinsic finiteness; and in that sense, the number of possible selves is infinite.
- The same is true for the number of different potential Volkswagons.
- Then, I claim that extrinsic finiteness is intrinsic infinite.
- Then, I claim that this latter is the sense that applies to the number of potential selves.
- There is no intrinsic finiteness attached to the number of potential selves.
- There is no preceding set of potential selves; and in that sense, each new self comes out of “thin air,” and each new self is a brand new creation. There is no limit to thin air , and there is no preceding existence -- of any kind – for actualized selves…
- I’m claiming that such should be the scientific conclusion.