tmackean
Thinker
- Joined
- Mar 14, 2004
- Messages
- 232
I was discussing the female period with my partner (as you do), and she mentioned that her menstrual cycle tended to synchronise with other women she would spend long periods of time with.
When she lived at home, this was her sisters. When she moved away, it was the two women she shared a flat with. In her words, it would take only '2 or 3 cycles' before they were evenly matched up. Now, she reckons it even occurs with the women she works with, though not to the day.
I've heard this before, obviously, but not thought much about it. I asked her why she believes this happens, and she suggested it had a lunar basis.
Now, that's patently nonsense, but is there a hormonal effect here, or does it happen at all?
When she lived at home, this was her sisters. When she moved away, it was the two women she shared a flat with. In her words, it would take only '2 or 3 cycles' before they were evenly matched up. Now, she reckons it even occurs with the women she works with, though not to the day.
I've heard this before, obviously, but not thought much about it. I asked her why she believes this happens, and she suggested it had a lunar basis.
Now, that's patently nonsense, but is there a hormonal effect here, or does it happen at all?