dakotajudo
Critical Thinker
- Joined
- Jul 10, 2005
- Messages
- 395
I'd heard of menstrual cycle synchrony back when I took undergrad physiology, and maybe even repeated it, back when I taught physiology labs. But I've never really considered it critically (so shut up, TTLer, this was a good thread for me).
Anyway, I did a pubmed, and the first citation suggest that synchrony may depend on hygiene - see http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ffp/jfp/2007/00000033/00000002/art00015 .
Well, if it is pheromonal, that makes sense. There seem to be pheromones in sweat that active regions fo the hypothalamus.
As for an evolutionary basis - maybe there isn't one - maybe it's simply a side effect of the higher levels of hormones needed to trigger some of the physiological processes, or bi-products of their breakdown.
Anyway, I did a pubmed, and the first citation suggest that synchrony may depend on hygiene - see http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ffp/jfp/2007/00000033/00000002/art00015 .
Well, if it is pheromonal, that makes sense. There seem to be pheromones in sweat that active regions fo the hypothalamus.
As for an evolutionary basis - maybe there isn't one - maybe it's simply a side effect of the higher levels of hormones needed to trigger some of the physiological processes, or bi-products of their breakdown.