KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer
I usually go Xubuntu to avoid GNOME/KDE issues
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/119190@Alan. I know that PCWorld in the UK have not honoured warranties if you over write your hard drive with linux. Can you really expect to keep your warranty if you make data changes on your hard drive?![]()
Read on, since I can't quote much more: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/03/run_linux_void_/Linux devotee Laura Breeden has discovered an obscure condition in the warranty supplied by Hewlett-Packard that lets them off the hook — even in the case of a purely mechanical defect — if the customer installs an operating system other than the one that comes pre-loaded. The condition is obscure because it’s not actually in the warranty.
I know about statutory rights regarding things needing to be fit for the purpose but I didn't know about how far reaching it was. I'll look into this more.In Australia, you can't "void" a warranty. There are statutory warranties which apply, and vendors can't impose conditions which affect those warranties. The contractual warranty simply doesn't matter, you just need to rely on the statutory warranty.
I rang Acer support for my speakers last Wednesday. They said they would call back within four hours.
Read this, then either laugh or cry.
Here's news for you: people cost money.
@Alan. I know that PCWorld in the UK have not honoured warranties if you over write your hard drive with linux. Can you really expect to keep your warranty if you make data changes on your hard drive?![]()
I think that part was a joke.And as for "making data changes to your har drive", you do that every time you use the machine. Quit making excuses for them, you only look silly.