• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Linux and UNIX stuff - a place to discuss alternative OSs.

After Linus posting that AI is welcome etc I'm seriously considering converting my Linux laptop to OpenBSD. I haven't touched BSD Unix since 1984.

ETA: it's been bubbling under for a while. The latest issues with systemctl, snap installs, and so on

ETA 2.0. Anyone have experience of OpenBSD vs FreeBSD etc? Old HP laptop, looks like I can install my very old Intellij, zdoom, Libre Office etc which cover 98% of my laptop use.

I ran an instance of FreeBSD for a while, I was experimenting with making my own router style appliance...

All I can remember now, is that it was different enough, that I bought a book so that I had a ready reference on hand.

Just checked the book, it is the fourth edition, dated 2003, no wonder I can't remember any details.

:)
 
After Linus posting that AI is welcome etc I'm seriously considering converting my Linux laptop to OpenBSD. I haven't touched BSD Unix since 1984.

ETA: it's been bubbling under for a while. The latest issues with systemctl, snap installs, and so on

ETA 2.0. Anyone have experience of OpenBSD vs FreeBSD etc? Old HP laptop, looks like I can install my very old Intellij, zdoom, Libre Office etc which cover 98% of my laptop use.
I tried it about 20 years (I think) ago. Was okay.

I've tried other distros also, but pretty much stuck with Slackware as it's small-c conservative, stable, and so far, has avoided much of the more controversial stuff such as systemd, in cases using forked/patched versions of some tools so it's not required.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom