Africa is not a country. There are Italian Americans, Greek Americans, German Americans. Noone defines themselves from an entire continent. Would you call Charlese Theron an African American? She is from Africa, she calls America her home. I guess she is African American. Hell, she is even MORE African American than Obama. I noticed you do not read much before responding. If you had, you would see that I explain my point further in the the text. But don't let logic stop you from living in your own world.
I remember quite some time ago seeing Charlton Heston in a television interview. This was during his later years when he was primarily a voice of the political right rather than an actor. There was a moment while he was under full steam, railing against political-correctness, when he stated, “It’s out of control! Really. I mean, ‘Native Americans’? For god’s sake, I was born here;
I’m native American!” Can’t argue with that.
What Mr. Heston, an educated student of the arts, surely knew is that language, much less English, is malleable, often imprecise. No one would dispute that anyone born in the U.S. is a native American. However, they may not necessarily be a “Native American.” That’s because the two descriptors, while using the same words, are not the same thing. (Most Native Americans today are, after all, native American, but not vice versa.) The general understanding, which the man with the damn-dirty-ape growl forgot (or perhaps just chose to ignore), is that a term can have its own definition, separate of its components. We are
given to understand that Native American describes a people indigenous to North America, before the influx of settlers from Europe, Asia, and other points. So while Mr. Heston’s statement was cute, it was hardly accurate.
Same thing with “African-American.” Yes, Africa is a continent, not a country. But “African” is a generalizer, like Asian, South American, and European. The term African-American is not inaccurate because there is no such thing as an “African.” Actually, it can’t be inaccurate at all. Why? Again, a term can mean anything it is generally considered to mean. It’s immaterial if an African-American has never set foot on the dark continent. If a person possesses whatever features, characteristics, or bloodline qualifies under the commonly understood definition of the heading, nothing more can be said.
Barack Obama is an African-American (along with the beautiful anti-birther irony that he’s also a native American). Can’t argue with that.