Slowvehicle
Membership Drive , Co-Ordinator,, Russell's Antin
This really isn't a new observation, but what bugs me about this conversation is the sensation of dishonesty. It's not how conversations about historic evidence go--and I've had a kazillion of them about a much more recent period.
If one doesn't have evidence, one says so.
Below is how my one-sided end of a conversation might sound on a topic that I might actually be discussing:
"Well, I don't know what happened to him, but demographically, free blacks tended to leave the south at that time, so I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to return to his master."
"Oh, he's on the census next door? Guess he did."
"Wait, that man is 25 years older, could it be his father who was too old to leave or had a more emotional connection to his master? What about this man in Oregon? But without biographical info, we can't connect him to the east."
"Hold on, what about this story about a guy from Richmond who acted as a cook for this wagon train going out west? Is that him?"
There's not a lot of "Yes he did and I know he did and I have faith that evidence will come forth to prove that he did if we just wait." It's about digging (metaphorically or literally) for what current evidence is available and analyzing it, looking where it indicates more evidence might be found, analyzing that, and so forth. I've not done archaelogical investigations at all, only occasionally reading the reports, but I doubt that such conversations go much differently.
This conversation just has the wrong smell test.
Not to mention the whole, "Your mind is closed because you are unable/unwilling to provide the evidence that would support my position, for which you are asking," gambit.